X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoid preservatives in skin care products

Hi
    Just wanted to share the info, a MD told me - to avoid preservatives/chemicals in skin care products.
    You will be surprised, even soaps have EDTA (no idea what is that though?)!

I searched a bit and produced a complete list, for an easy reference.
    If someone has more to add, that would be great so we can collect more info.

Alcohols
    Acrylates
    Argireline

BAK
    EDTA
    Parabens
    Phenoxyethanol
    (smells like a rose)

in cosmetics include formaldehyde-donating preservatives - normally producers show:
    DMDM-hydantoin
    quaternium-15
    imidazolidinyl urea
    diazolidinyl urea
    2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol

Other chemicals (to avoid)
    sodium laureth sulfates (some companies prefer to write sodium coco sulfate??)
    - often in facial washes/cleansers - it dissolves the natural oils of the eyelids/face.

hyaluronic acid: contains moisturizers & good for the skin and lashes,
    but be careful about harmful co-ingredients like parabens and retinols.

soaps/detergents
    Last edited by MGD1701; 28-May-2017, 02:26.

I wonder if there are alternatives to preventing bacteria growth in skin creams? I decided to get a cream that has Coconut Oil, Manuka Honey, Shea Butter and other stuff said to be good for the eyes and skin. I noticed it had Phenoxyethanol in it but also found a comment from the manufacturer that it was under the 1% approved safe limit, doesn't turn into formaldehyde and that all water based cream or lotion either needs alcohol or some type of preservative to prevent microbes from growing.

Wonder if switching to oil-based skin creams would avoid this?
    Last edited by PhoenixEyes; 25-May-2017, 15:42.
    Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

Preservatives free products - So far I have found
      *Avenue
      *ILAST eye cream: many doctors recommend it.

I do NOT put anything near eyes - too risky.
      Last edited by MGD1701; 26-May-2017, 03:34.

Comment

ILAST - Sodium hyalauronate and Vitamin A are the main active ingredients?

I get Sodium hyalauronate in the form of Hylo-Forte Preservative Free eye drops, after blinking it in I spread the excess gently across my eyelids, I do find it helpful. I get Vitamin A in the form of VitA-Pos, an eye ointment.

Avene - It seems though it is water-based they achieve this via the construction of the tube but that this also means each tube has to remain very small, I guess that could get costly.
        https://www.truthinaging.com/review/...servative-free

I was thinking to get a combination cream for eyelids that contains some of the stuff people have found helpful here on the forums like Coconut Oil, Manuka Honey etc. Maybe there is an oil-based option out there instead of water-based that is preservative free, seems water filler in skincare is more likely to have a risk of bacteria growth without preservatives.
        Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

VitA-POS: I used it before and it was good.
          I stopped it - my concern is its woolwax, although it is free of preservatives.
          Last edited by MGD1701; 27-May-2017, 06:01.

Comment

Working...
          X