This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eyes - Symptoms almost gone!

So I’'ll quickly do a short rundown on my dry eyes.

It started roughly 3 months ago where my eyes got incredibly sensitive to screens. Using computers and going on my phone was very uncomfortable and sometimes painful. My eyes felt like they were burning, stinging and achey.

Month 1 (July)

My first month was utter hell and it felt like it was getting worse. I was getting horrid eye pain all the time even when not looking at screens. Going outside was too bright, reading gave me headaches and going on screens was barely possible.

It didn’’ help that I have bad anxiety especially with health. Because I worried about it so much I got horrific, pounding headaches a lot that kept me up at night. I got multiple panic attacks and I just stayed in my room. Worst experience of my life.

But luckily, it all turned around after I saw a really good optician who is very good with dry eye.

Month 2 (August)

The optician checked my eyes and said that they were mildy dry. I was baffled to hear this as they were hurting so bad I was sure they would be severely dry.

She then spotted something that I did’n'’t, that being the fact that I was partially blinking and that I did’’n't blink frequently.
    So it all made why I got it in the first place! I was doing loads of reading, gaming and many things that requires a lot of staring.

She showed me a tip to practise blinking properly which I kept doing everyday which then eventually became automatic. She then told me to use Hyco San Plus eye drops every few hours or if they got really dry and to use Clinitas Hyrdate gel at night. They honestly didn’’t relive my pain much but she explained that I had to keep using it to get any effect. She said to also take Omega 3 supplements which could help.

She also recommened these glasses that help with screen glare and blue light. They helped slightly but I still got bad pain from screens.

My eyes after this were really up and down. Some days they were just as bad as month 1 but I would have a few good days where they weren’t as bad. Slowly though they got a bit better everytime even though they would go backwards a bit.

My daily routine then became this:

Hyco San Plus every few hours
    Omega 3 supplements every day.
    Clinitas Hydrate at night.
    Eye mask (even though my glands were functioning this helped with reliving my pain)

Month 3 (September)

This is where my eyes become more tolerable. I am able to just manage to use my phone and computer with the glasses although not for long and it still hurts a bit. My eyes feel just really sore rather than burning or stinging sensation. They would only do this if I looked at screens for a long time.

Unfortunately due to my anxiety, I got bad facial tension. I thought the eyes were causing it which made me worry more and make the tension worse. I got help for my anxiety where I learned it was me worrying that caused the face tension. So i relxaed myself, eventually the tension faded away. I still get it sometimes now but not nearly and bad as it was.

Eventually, towards the end of the month my eyes got really good! I could look at screens with hardly any discomfort and pain! Soreness decreased rapidly and some days I forget I have dry eyes. I am actually able to type this without my glasses with just a little feeling of dryness which is hardly noticeable!

So that’’s my story! Because I hardly got ill and expericenced what bad pain can be, this was a huge shock. I never thought that eyes could hurt so bad and affect your life so negatively! I also learned that worrying excessively will make you feel so much worse! I still get tension now and then because of me going through this but hopefully that will fade away too.

So for everyone going through this just rememeber you are brave. Having a eye condition like this can be terrifying and upsetting and you getting through and trying to deal with just shows that. I wanted to give up, I really did. But I did not! I found out what was causing it and then tackled that. I now blink properly and more frequently especially when on the computer or reading.

So just remember guys to please hang in there and I’m sure you will find the best treatment option that suits you!

Thanks for sharing. You are so lucky to have such knowledgeable/passioante optician.

Blinking exercise: is 20-20-20 one she taught you? If not, kindly share the tips. Thanks!

Again, congratulations!

Comment

Hey! The 20-20-20 one was not what helped me. I just blink more using activities that you tend to stare at. I try and blink at the rate I do in my normal life. I still do the 20-20-20 rule though just to help.

Now for blinking properly lightly place your fingers on the outside of your eye ( I dont know what you call it but basically the end of your eye close towards your ears not your nose, NOT ON THE EYE) and then blink fully. You should be able to feel the pressure of the blink. Don’t blink to hard where your eyes screw up just a normal blink. Keep practising it every so often and eventually you will start doing it automatically.

and thank you : ) Yeah I’m so glad I found what the root of the problem was. Didn’t think I ever would!

Comment

Hi Lucky!

I am battling dry eye as well...while having to sit in front of a computer 8 hours/day. It is still tolerable and I have my good days and bad. I was considering maybe using the glasses to reduce eye strain as a preventative measure (before they get worse). What was the brand you used? Is there anything you would recommend to look for when ordering?

I tend to forget my blinking on my good days so I will pa closer attention to that. Looking down at the keyboard while I type also helps.

Thank You!

Comment

Originally posted by MommyandMe81 View Post
          Hi Lucky!

I am battling dry eye as well...while having to sit in front of a computer 8 hours/day. It is still tolerable and I have my good days and bad. I was considering maybe using the glasses to reduce eye strain as a preventative measure (before they get worse). What was the brand you used? Is there anything you would recommend to look for when ordering?

I tend to forget my blinking on my good days so I will pa closer attention to that. Looking down at the keyboard while I type also helps.

Thank You!
          Unfortunately, I don’t know the brand. I got the glasses from the opticians themselves. They aren’t those ones you get in amazon, they’re ones where you can choose what the glasses look like and have the lenses put on.

Something cool which I don’t have an issue with is that you can get them with prescription! I have perfect vision so this wasn’t needed but still very cool and useful.

Blinking is very important but don’t over do it! Every 10 seconds or so will do, if you over do it like I have before your eyes will get sore.

I’ll get back to you if I find out the brand and such. : )

Comment

UPDATE: Today my eyes almost feel back to normal! A few times yesterday they FELT normal although when they are slightly dry I tend to get a foreign body sensation which is annoying since I keep thinking there’s an eyelash in my eye!oh well, my eyes are always worse in the morning and get better throughout the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky Shamrock View Post
              So it all made why I got it in the first place! I was doing loads of reading, gaming and many things that requires a lot of staring.
              Hi Lucky Shamrock: I have to start by saying that I am very happy for you. I will say though that I sincerely hope that you have quit the computer activities that are not related to your work or necessity. I am referring specifically to gaming, watching videos, Facebook, aimless surfing, texting etc, you know what I am talking about. Consider yourself fortunate that this wake up call has a happy ending because if it comes back you might not be so lucky.

Comment

I still do those activities that you have mentioned but in small doses. I also remember to blink. I have no problems when I do this. But you are right, since this is what got me into this mess in the first place, I must be cautious

Comment

Working...
                X