This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay Strong - Things Can Improve!

Hi my name is Shane, I am Tom's wife. I have been meaning to get back to this forum for some time.
    Tom has not been on this site since 2013 - I am very sorry about that. It is difficult for him to read the posts, brings back some bad memories. So I am posting on his behalf - because I want to make sure people know things can get better for you (hopefully all of you)!

When Tom was on this site - he was in so much pain and so down - and thought life would never be enjoyable again. He gave up hope at one point - but thank goodness things didn't go as he planned - and he is still with us!!

Fast forward to today and Tom is out of pain and enjoying life to the fullest. He has recently taken up downhill biking & trail biking. Tom would have never thought this possible in 2013.

But it was a long road to get where he is today. It took over a year post surgery for Tom to get the correct diagnosis and care.

Tom ended up with cornea neuralgia post lasik, MGD and dry eye.

He feels what helped him most was doing the following:

1) Plugs for tear ducts; Tom ended up getting all 4 cauterized, bc plugs would fall out
    2) Serum drops (20%) 8 times/day - he's still on them 5years going - and they got him 30% of his nerves back (have plateaued since then, but need the drops to keep what he has)
    3) Get MGD diagnosis; if suffer do probing. Tom has had all 4 lids probed twice. First by Dr. ****** in July 2013 and then Hamrah in Sept 2016
    4) Most recently after 2016 probing Tom gets manual eyelids expressions done by Dr Nau of Korb & Assoc
    5) Due to dry eye, MGD, & nerve damage Tom wears chamber glasses all waking hours. Need to make sure you get a good fit. He has a petite face - so he wears Wiley X climate control glasses- the Airrage frame - and Tom wears sunglass lenses, so he always has that "cool" factor going ; Tom has 4 pairs of these glasses (dark mirrored, blue/green, lighter shade and clear).
    6) He also takes flax-oil daily (3K mgs), scrubs his lids at night with mineral oil, does heated mask 6-7 /week, uses refresh pm at night and uses Lotemax twice a week

Please just try to keep your hope - it takes time for your nerves to grow & heal - but it was possible for Tom. And I hope its possible for you!!!
    Sincerely - Shane

Your story ... it gives us more motivation to try. Today is chrismast ... I'm looking around the world happily enjoying their vacation. And I'm still thinking about my dry eyes?!? When is it possible to recover? I'm really afraid it will last for 10 years and 20 years ... or whole my life. It is nice to know that your husband has returned to normal life like many people. I also hope so for my eye . thanks

Comment

So happy to hear this! This post gives me a lot of hope! I don't want to be intrusive, but I'm wondering if Tom was able to get off medications? I know from older posts that he was on stuff to help the nerve pain. The reason I ask is because I believe I am suffering from Neuropathic pain, but am unable to take any of the recommended medications, such as Tricyclic antidepressants and Anticonvulsants. If he was able to recover and not have to take medication, it would give me even more hope. Anyway, sorry to be intrusive, I'm so happy he is doing well!

Comment

Working...
      X