This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatly improved dry eye, almost normal

My dry eye started in December 2016 at the age of 36. I was told "yep that's the age it starts at". I was then 15kg overweigh. Today I only use drops 3 times a day and wear blue blocker glasses. I can watch television and work on my computer again.

I cannot say for sure what works but here is what I believe was the difference:

1.) I went on a low carb diet and lost 10 of the 15kg. I started in November 2017 and lost 5 kgs. For most of December my eyes were fine, but over Xmas I picked it all up again and the dry eye was back first week of January. luckily I continues the diet again in the same time and now I'm down 10kgs and dry eye is nearly gone again.
    2). Blue blocker glasses: I did not believe this at first but I use this in conjunction with blue light management software (f.lux) on my laptop and cellphone). It works for me and the glasses keeps the eyes out of wind and draft air.
    3.) This is also a big impact. I read on this forum about a lady who notices her eye lids are swollen or caught in her eyebrows. so I did similar study and notice that when my eyes are swollen (which was all the time) the glands on the ends of the lid is far away from the eye. so I'm thinking perhaps the excretions from those glands dry up before it reaches the eye, or never reaches the eye because it does not touch the eye ever. similarly the bottom eyelid goes under the top eyelid ever so slightly which may remove the excretions onto the outside of the bottom eyelid. so I use Navi blef eye lid cleaner twice a day for week. this was late December. I now use it once daily and my theory is the eye lids aren't swollen so much so lubrication and glands operate better.
    4.) Humidity. I have a desktop humidifier for my home and a small portable humidifier for when I sit at the computer. I haven't used them since December (its summer here by us, South Africa)
    5.) I use a non preservative optive drop. I spoke with an optometrist yesterday who says its an old profuct and same company has released better products (plus, etc), but I'm sticking to what works for me.

my opinion is that while no 5 above is essential, it cannot alone resolve and needs the other 4 to support. the benefit of the weight loss is I'm more healthy overall and have for instance gone from pre-diabetic to normal glucose levels (4.7 fasting and 7.8 directly after meal, 5.8 two hours after meal) within a 3 weeks, plus I look sexy all over again :-). similarly I'm expecting to be taken off cholesterol statins when next I see my doctor. I haven't had red meat since December and I'm actually happy about it.

some further general tips:
    * Don't watch a movie on computer or tablet. use a television. its normally further away from you and bigger, so less strain on the eye.
    * allergies is problem. the allergy can cause the dry eye, and the antihistamines used to fight the allergies can cause it to. my doctor gave me a cortisone based nasal spray which resolves the allergies as well as has a proven impact on dry eye. check with your ophthalmologist first though, as cortisone in the eye has its risks.

Comment

Improved dry eye and sexier all in the same bundle....whooo, so happy for you

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
        Improved dry eye and sexier all in the same bundle....whooo, so happy for you
        yeah next I'm gonna build some muscle in the gym. then ill be Baywatch material :-)

Comment

Working...
        X