Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Not fully healed, but these things have really helped!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Not fully healed, but these things have really helped!

Dry eye sufferer for 10+ years. Really bad for the last several months. Wake up and my eyes are in pain daily. Bad enough where I had to take some time off of work. Prayed to God to give me some reprieve. Doc gave me Lotemax, temporary plugs, and restasis. Was still bad. 1 Doc said no mebomian gland dysfunction, prob aqueous the other said aqueous and mebomian. don't think I ever got a straight answer.

But for the last week I feel like I've been getting somewhat better. Still not out of the woods, but pain has decreased substantially and eyes are a little less red. So for the past 6-7 weeks, here's what i've been doing:

1. Cleaning up the diet (Let food be thy medicine):
    - Try to avoid anything refined and eat only whole natural foods. Been eating a lot of fish as well.
    - Blending fruits and berries for meals. Into these smoothies, I added A LOT of flax seeds. almost a quarter cup. I also added 2 tablespoons of flax oil. I also added flax milk in to the shake. not sure how many mgs of omega oils that is, but it's a lot. Dr. Weil says too many omega 3's aren't dangerous for you (unless you're using anti coagulant for blood or have blood coagulation problems) but please be careful.
    - Juicing kale, collard greens, spinach. All these veggies are high in lutein and zeaxanthin which are touted for eye health. I juice almost daily. I add a little fruit or carrots to sweeten the drink so it's a little more palatable but i just chug it down mostly cause it's VERY bitter and strong, but it also makes me feel like I'm taking medicine and doing my body right.
    - Green Tea - 6 cups a day
    - Cutting out all alcohol.

2. Supplements:
    - Thera tears pills - 3 / day
    - Fish oil pills (900 mgs of omega/ pill) - 3 / day
    - lutein and zeaxanthin pull - 1 / day
    - Centrum vitamin - 1 / day
    - Borage oil - 1 / day

3. Compress and cleaning
    - Cold compress. I keep 2 cans of soda in the fridge...and when i get home i lie on the couch with the ends of the cans over my eyes. I look ridiculous but man is it a great feeling after work. I do the cold compress 2-3 times a day
    - Lid cleaning in the shower...hot water. very diluted baby shampoo. Wash lids...and massage lids...all in shower.

4. Drugs and drops
    - Restasis 3X daily.
    - Thera tears (un-preserved)...as needed. I freeze them. The cold drops are awesome.
    - Unisol - Refrigerated...for a good flushing when i feel really yucky.
    - (I'm off Lotemax)

5. Exercise and others
    - I added exercise 4x a week to my routine. Even though the gym makes my eyes worse cause all of the vented air, I lift weights to keep my blood moving.
    - Taping eyes shut at night.
    - Goggles at work to minimize air flow around eyes
    - F.lux on computer to minimize eye strain.
    - Gunnar glasses at home when i use computer.

so that's my list. I'm very regimented. Not sure what out of all of what I'm doing is helping the most, but I'm sure everything is helping in a tiny way in unison. I'm still not out of the woods by any means....but I feel like I've run into a stream in the path for a decent rest. I'll continue to update as time goes by and progress. I know how cruddy this condition is and I wish you all the best in your road to healing.
    Last edited by ut_longhorn; 23-May-2014, 11:05.

do you work on a computer at work?

your Restasis should be kicking in, if it's going to, around the 6 week mark. I hope that it's not the only factor to your good outcome because there's the fear of the medicine not working at some point.

I too found that working out helped immensely.

I'm in a tough spot recently w/ a setback, but I hope it comes out ok again...

Comment

Yes....I do work in front of a computer all day in a drafty environment. Really kills the eyes. I did invest in some protective eye wear that blocks some of the air which helps some. And yes... its been about 6 weeks since I started the restasis.

I still have my down days too. I have an appt with a third doc this thursday...maybe he has something new to say.

Im sorry youre having a bad setback dryinupstateny....by chance have you seen dr latkany in the ny/nj area?

Comment

ok...still doing many of the things mentioned...but man...i still have a long way to go.... :/

eyes still very dry. ups and downs. i guess ill have to keep truckin on!!!

Comment

i think it's because i've been getting away from my regimen of juicing the veggies. i think i need to get back to that to get back on the right track. also, i've dropped the amount of omegas in my diet. will add these back to see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
          X