X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in Contacts! (Kinda)

Incase anyone was interested here is my intro:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...re-and-triumps!

I made a shorter reply to another thread and decided I would make a longer post outlining what has led me to the success of barely being able to wear contacts for two hours in the summer to reaching my goal of being able to wear them 3-4 times a week, and hope any of whats in here can help someone else.

I'v tried dozens of different shotgun approaches to things that might help me since May, so I can't pinpoint exactly what has helped me, but whatever I am currently doing has made a huge difference to me. I'v gone from in the summer using several drops throughout the day and having to put thick eye drops before and halfway through the night, to now officially none at all.

I have visited a naturopath about a month ago regarding my dry eyes and also fatigue. She tested my thyroid, and found out even though I am within the 'normal' range of the thyroid test, I am right on the low end, so if I went to a doctor, they would have said I am fine as I am within the correct range, however she feels at her discretion as I am exhibiting the same symptoms of thyroid she has given me herbal pills to get my levels more optimal. Perhaps this has helped my eyes because my hormones have been out of whack, maybe not.

I have also been taking vitamin d oil, she stated its important to take the drop form (apparently the chalky pills don't get absorbed and sit in your stomach, vitamin d is only fat soluble) vitamin d is great for your eyes, and she said after the lotemax I was put on, she believes it will repair the surface. She also put me on a high quality fish oil, I was on a no name brand before and she said the type of fishes they source omega 3's from is pretty important in their effectiveness and the stuff I was on before would do nothing for me.

I have also been on seabuckthorn oil for a few months, I noticed a bit of a difference but now looking back it might of been the olive oil mainly I was pairing it with, in anycase, she made me up it to three pills a day.

Olive oil, this has been a miracle, in the morning after a shower when I am getting ready I just swipe it under my eyes, and before bed or when I get home I take off my makeup and swipe a bit under my eyes. It works better then any eye drops I have ever tried!

Other things I have changed is switching from regular makeup to hypoallergenic, I actually think makeup might be a big culprit. Whenever I wore my contact lenses for short periods (usually once every two weeks) I would slather on mascara, and my eyes would itch. I believed this was because of contacts, but I was driving to a Christmas party with my mascara on and glasses (I never wear mascara with glasses for some reason it makes my eyes look weird) and noticed my eyes were itchings! So the itching that I thought were my contacts was actually the mascara! I pulled over and wiped it off in a store and immediately the itching went away! I have never been allergic to really any thing so this came to me as a big surprise.

I also noticed in December, as we are trying for baby number two I have not been having any alcohol. I decided to have one drink over Christmas and it actually made my eyes feel quite dry at night which I haven't experienced throughout December which I found interesting.

Other then that my natropath recommended cold camomile tea bags to get rid of my red eyes. I didn't try it for a little while because I thought it was silly but I have tried it once a day now and it actually does reduce the veins in my eyes!

So overall from all of these outcomes i have gone from being able to wear contacts barely for 2 hours in the summer to four times last week with one of the times being 10 hours! I'm not going to push it and will still mainly wear glasses but am overjoyed that if I go out with friends or a date night I have the option to wear contact lenses again! Maybe there is hope that my eyes will be completely back to normal again.

If you have any questions please let me know, hope you can find some success with what I mentioned!

What contact are you using currently? I know that you mentioned one previously and I am sorry if I am getting my info crossed here. So glad that you have having some success and I would be happy to wear contacts on the schedule that you are using as well.

Comment

Becka,

Congrats on your success, I'm having a little of the same as my doc just gave me some sample lenses to try. They are soft lenses and a new experience for me, I've only worn RGPs. I'm also wondering what kind you wear, and how long did it take you to get used to handling them? They seem so flimsy to me! Especially how long did it take to master taking them out, and do you use anything other than your fingers? Any tips greatly appreciated!

Alex

Comment

Currently I am using avenue one day most. At first I did feel a little ripped off as these contacts are more expensive but to be honest I feel with all the bad contact lenses stories out there with infections it really is worth the extra money if you can afford it. In my experience Alex I would keep away from anything that is silicone hydrogel. I am not 100% certain but I do have a small suspicion that these lenses were part of the reason of what led to an infection which then transitioned to a my whole dry eye problem.

As for putting them in your eyes I really don't have too many suggestions. I had RGPs as well and around my tween years I went to soft lenses so I can't even remember having a problem putting them in! Easier said then done but I think you just have to get used to putting your fingers in your eyes alot more with them then with the RGPs that you basically pop in and out of your eyes. Good luck! Hopefully your eye doc can give you some more help

Comment

Thanks Becka. My doctor did give me some soft tweezers and another little device and I was able to get them out on the first try. My eyes felt fine while wearing them, in fact I couldn't feel them at all. However on taking them out I thought my eyes looked a little red and they felt watery (not good watery, too watery) all the next day. I haven't wanted to put them in since (this was on Saturday). My eyes returned to normal the day after that, but the thought of a setback is very distressing. Would you ignore those minor symptoms and keep wearing them? You have a lot more experience with them then I do and I'm just wondering if maybe I'm overreacting. Thanks again.
          Alex

Comment

I have had a few bouts where my eyes have been a bit more red then usual, not sure if its allergies, a minor infection, or my eyes need a rest but I always will take it seriously and lay off contacts for a few days until my eyes have cleared up. In the early stages of my eye journey when all these 'off' things were happening I still powered through wearing contacts which made the problem even worse. I would just play it by ear. If it keeps happening more frequently then I would discontinue contact lenses use for longer periods and see what your doctor has to say.

Comment

Working...
            X