Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My supplement smorgasbord that actually works.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My supplement smorgasbord that actually works.

During the few months I've used this particular supplement cocktail, my eyes were starting to feel much more stable. Also, the contrast lines that would appear in my vision after looking at computer text, significantly lessened.

I have gastritis and managed to screw up my stomach again, which put me off the supplements for a while and my eyes got worse again, but I'm restarting this cocktail now.

If you're feeling adventurous with your wallet, here it is:

After first meal of the day:
    2x "HydroEye"
    1x "Ultra GLA 500 by GNC", or "Stay-Weight by Lindora" (depending on which one is in stock)
    1x "Life Extension CoQ10 Enhanced Mitochondrial"

After second meal:
    2x "HydroEye"
    1x "Ultra Omega-3 by NOW Foods"
    2x "Pharma Nord Omega-7" (sea buckthorn oil mixed with Vitamin E and A)

After third/fourth meal:
    1x "Ultra Omega-3 by NOW Foods"

Some reasoning/observations/speculations:

The Ultra GLA complex is being made by only two manufacturers (GNC and Lindora) and is based on GMO safflower oil, which has 40-50% of GLA per capsule. As I noticed before, anti-inflammatory stuff really gives a push in right direction for my eyes, but it doesn't last too long. Literally an hour after taking these GLA-rich capsules I feel my eyes getting "cooler" and "wetter".

HydroEye does SOMETHING. This is my third or fourth time of jumping off and on it, but it's definitely _something_. It's a partial solution, but it's also necessary. It has a stabilizing effect, even if it doesn't push toward improvement in and of itself.

Omega-3 has not been of much help to me in the past, but there's a theory that GLA supplements eat at DHA/EPA supply in the body and should be paired with Omega-3, so that's why I take it. The reason I chose NOW Foods brand, is because unlike the more potent Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, it doesn't have the stupid lemony taste thing, which irritates my sensitive stomach.

Pharma Nord Omega-7. The reason I chose this specific brand is because it's the one that's been mentioned in success stories on these forums. There is something special about it. After this component's addition to my growing supplement cocktail, my eyes started improving, very subtly, but at some point I caught myself having longer intervals in front of the computer where I could even forget about my eyes... like a normal person... still wearing goggles, but it felt much different from before.

Finally, Life Extension CoQ10 product probably _isn't_ a contributor in this process, but I take it for general well-being. Even if the CoQ10 component doesn't do anything, it also contains Shilajit (Mumijo) which is a well-known folk cure.

Just wondering. You start all of these at once or one at a time to see if it is noticeable that one worked better than the other? Myself I try one at a time for an extended time to see if it helps before moving on to another one. Sometimes even trying it again later. For me personally flaxseed oil has been the one working for almost twenty years now. SO I am lucky in that respect but I keep try others in addition in the hopes of it being better. I have had dry eyes for well over 50 years now and will take any improvement I can get.

Comment

I wish there was one supplement that would work 100% for everyone (at least somehow). There is so many Omega 3, 6, 7, flaxseed etc. oils and you have to keep using them for 5 weeks to be even able to tell if it works or not. It's very time and money consuming.

Woodart, which flaxseed oil works best for you?

Jack, thanks for sharing

Comment

I've tried these supplements individually and in variety of combinations before. I've had dry eye for 15 years now. Also, these aren't the only supplements I tried.

The end formula was result of accumulating several supplements which I felt "did something but not enough" individually, and there was some relief, but with the addition of Omega-7 to the mix, there was a noticeable improvement "to the improvement".

I took Omega-7 before (from New Chapter) standalone, and also sea buckthorn... powder capsules or something - it didn't do anything.

My theory is that the path to working treatment is in combinatory nutrition like this.

Flaxseed didn't work for me by the way. It might work as part of this formula but at the present I don't want to change anything... you can probably understand why.

There are pills which are combinatory, but they usually don't have enough GLA. The reason I chose the rare GMO safflower capsules is because they have twice GLA than Borage Oil, so you get 400mg-500mg per single capsule. That is HUGE, and GLA is definitely a player in improving my eye condition.

Comment

It seems you have great experience with these. Can you help me?

I want to try this combination:

Optimum Flaxseed Oil
          omega 3,6,9
          Flaxseed Oil 1000mg
          Alpha-Linolenic Acid 500mg
          Linoleic Acid 200mg
          Oleic Acid 200mg
          Palmitic Acid 60mg
          Stearic Acid 40mg

and MusclePharm Fish Oil
          Omega 3
          1000 mg
          EPA 400 mg
          DHA 300 mg

Do you think it's enough?

Comment

I get the flaxseed at Costco. I was never a believer in all this vitamin stuff and actually tried the flaxseed for cholesterol. But when I went to the eye doc for cauterization which was scheduled they said my eys were much improved and didn't need to be done. i added fish oil but didn't notice a difference. I am trying one new thing at a time but have been doing a year when I add one on and see if when I go to the doc if it is better. I am ready to try something again and was thinking Buckthorn although I wanted to give Nature's Answer Liquid Omega-3 a shot. I had tried eye vitamins in the past and I don't think they helped me. I am somewhat comfortable right now and have been for the last 20 years since starting flaxseed oil although it is like night and day compared to before flaxseed it could be better and I won't stop trying things. Ocaisanly they give me a little trouble but I just baby them until they are decetn again. Also did Restisis with no luck. Sad part is what works for one does nothing for someone else. But at least from when I first started having problems there is reasearch and many docs now starting to understand. It's been a while since I felt like pulling the eyeballs out of my head.

Comment

When you guys try a new supplement, do you add it to the growing list or replace an existing one? I always thought fish oil was superior too...

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good black current oil supplement in uk? All the good supplements are usa only .
              Last edited by justbob; 31-Mar-2015, 13:24.
              prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by justbob View Post
                When you guys try a new supplement, do you add it to the growing list or replace an existing one?
                It depends if it's the same type of supplement or not. I would replace the same type (better quality fish oil for fish oil) but add it if it's a different type (fish oil + flaxseed).

Comment

Originally posted by DryMichael View Post
                  It depends if it's the same type of supplement or not. I would replace the same type (better quality fish oil for fish oil) but add it if it's a different type (fish oil + flaxseed).
                  I assume you use amount of EPA+DHA per weight to decide, but isn't ratio of EPA/DHA and amount also important? I take both enteric and normal omega 3, anybody else do that?
                  prevention is better than cure, but not for eyes?

Comment

Omega - 7 helps.... a lot

thanks for posting your story, it's really helpful and encouraging to read.

As you mentioned, i also read a post where a lady (can't remember, was some months ago) i began taking Macadamia Nuts (Omega - 7 ), about 1-2 pieces a meal about 2 months ago (not sure about the exact time), and i am feeling much much better now. I feel my glands are producing oil. My dry eye symptoms are very complex which i can't get into now, but just want to give some positive feedbacks.

Again, if you have MGD, please give it a try with Macadian Nuts, Costco carries its own brand called Kirkland, about $20/case/600+grams.
                    And they are very delicious too.

thank you again for all the good people sharing their stories, victories or pain, and things they try.

Comment

I'll try those macadamia nuts, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X