This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game changer

I recently had IPL in London at the Dry Eye Centre and it changed my life. I'm 28 and have had serious issues with dry eyes for about 4-5 years now. I was told years ago by an optician in Leeds that I have meibomian gland dysfunction and I should use an eyebag and wipes. That made basically no difference at all so I stopped that before too long. He then fitted me with scleral lenses, but because of my deep-set eyes I couldn't manage to get them in by myself (despite 3 hours of lessons!!). So throughout university I was basically going through 2 boxes of lubricating eye-drops (clinitas Soothe in the day and VitApos at night) a week (expensive solution).

I moved to London last year and now work in an air-conditioned office. It was almost unbearable. I found the dry eye centre while looking for another opticians to fit me with scleral lenses (as I thought this was the only solution and I should have another go). I saw Caroline Hodd who did a Lipiview and discovered the thickness of my lipid layer was only half what it should be. After explaining about the IPL (that I'd not heard of at the time), she did the first treatment on me then and there. She then squeezed the glands and what came out was disgusting! She actually recorded it and from each gland came a massive string of thick, cheesy gunk. Like squeezing a super satisfying spot. I definitely felt the warmth of the light every time it went off, but I wasn't left with any burns like I've read some people have had. They covered my face with this clear jelly which may have helped with that?

I felt relief after the first treatment, but it was after the second one that my glands were functioning properly again and producing enough oil. I had my last treatment (out of 4) about 6 weeks ago now and my eyes feel great. I really thought I was stuck with needing drops for the rest of my life.

I will keep you updated as to how it works out long-term, but for now I couldn’t recommend it enough right now.

In case you are interested, the website is: www.dryeyecentre.co.uk
    I hope this helps you too and good luck!

Hi Gaz,
    Just wondering if you also have aqueous deficiency? I had IPL done, and it helped, but wasn't the magic answer. The doctor told me before he administered the IPL treatments that he wasn't sure how well IPL would work for someone with both MGD and tear deficiency. My TBUT went from a 3 before treatment to an 8 after. Better, but still not enough to be comfortable.

Comment

I second LaDiva's question. I have AD as well as MGD and ocular rosacea. I have pondered IPL and I'm not far from London. I'm hesitant to try it as I had Lipiflow and didn't even have a 5% improvement, it just left me a lot poorer. I've heard quite good things about the Dry Eye Centre. Obviously private dry eye treatment is a bit of a money spinner but I've heard they are knowledgeable and thorough there.

Comment

I "third" LaDiva's question. I have both MGD and aqueous deficiency and probably ocular rosacea too (I have mild rosacea on my face but have not been officially diagnosed with ocular rosacea). I am wondering if IPL would work for me. I have been using PROSE scleral lenses for the last two years but I developed a nodule on the sclera in my right eye and cannot wear the lens in that eye.

Comment

good post, thank you.

Comment

Yes, please let us know if you had a tear deficiency too? This information would be really helpful
            People have recovered, so can we.
            www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Hi everyone, I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you all. My eyes have been feeling so much better that I haven't even thought about them over the last few months.

I do not have aqueous deficiency, this was ruled out at my first appointment.

I went in for a follow up appointment last week. It was supposed to be after 3 months, but ended up being 5. My eyes had started to feel slightly gritty again but still nothing compared to before. At the appointment Caroline told me that some of my glands were getting slightly blocked again and recommended a ‘top-up’ IPL treatment if I felt symptoms were returning. I decided to go for it and it actually made a noticeable difference and very glad I had it done. I wasn’t having massive problems before the top-up, but it just felt even better after the extra session.

I had your questions in mind when I went and Caroline took the time to explain. My main issue was MGD and that’s what the IPL targets. My TBUT before any treatments was 2 apparently and is now at 10 (no wonder I felt such a difference!). Apparently IPL doesn’t help aqueous deficiency but can help with the overall inflammation. For more serious aqueous deficiency she said that she would use punctum plugs.

They don’t actually have a Lipiflow at the Dry Eye Centre – they find that patients don't find it very useful and plus for me it's much more expensive. What they do (and I had this done at each of my appointments after the IPL) is ‘manually express the meibomian glands’ instead. That’s when all the cheesy gunk I mentioned in my first post came out.

Apparently IPL for dry eyes was first discovered when a dermatologist was doing skin treatment for patients with rosacea. People were finding an improvement with their eyes after the treatment so an IPL machine was made specifically for dry eyes. Amazing how it all works! So I guess heyjude it might work for you too!

Comment

excellent new for you!

how much does it cost and how often do you have it done?

Comment

Hi..how fantastic, i had my first Ipl yesterday and 3 more to go.Do not feel any better after the treatment but im told its cumulative and glands will be expressed at next consultation. I can only hope that i will have the success that you have had.This condition can be debilitating on some days and I would just like to curl up and have a good cry..Im so very fed up.Anyway next sesh in 2 weeks.Fingers crossed

Comment

Thank you so much Gaz, and thank you for asking your eye doctor about tear deficiency. I am now plugged (and wasn't when I first had IPL) so am thinking about having IPL done again. Hope you continue to feel better and better!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaz86 View Post
                      Hi everyone, I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you all. My eyes have been feeling so much better that I haven't even thought about them over the last few months.

I do not have aqueous deficiency, this was ruled out at my first appointment.

I went in for a follow up appointment last week. It was supposed to be after 3 months, but ended up being 5. My eyes had started to feel slightly gritty again but still nothing compared to before. At the appointment Caroline told me that some of my glands were getting slightly blocked again and recommended a ‘top-up’ IPL treatment if I felt symptoms were returning. I decided to go for it and it actually made a noticeable difference and very glad I had it done. I wasn’t having massive problems before the top-up, but it just felt even better after the extra session.

I had your questions in mind when I went and Caroline took the time to explain. My main issue was MGD and that’s what the IPL targets. My TBUT before any treatments was 2 apparently and is now at 10 (no wonder I felt such a difference!). Apparently IPL doesn’t help aqueous deficiency but can help with the overall inflammation. For more serious aqueous deficiency she said that she would use punctum plugs.

They don’t actually have a Lipiflow at the Dry Eye Centre – they find that patients don't find it very useful and plus for me it's much more expensive. What they do (and I had this done at each of my appointments after the IPL) is ‘manually express the meibomian glands’ instead. That’s when all the cheesy gunk I mentioned in my first post came out.

Apparently IPL for dry eyes was first discovered when a dermatologist was doing skin treatment for patients with rosacea. People were finding an improvement with their eyes after the treatment so an IPL machine was made specifically for dry eyes. Amazing how it all works! So I guess heyjude it might work for you too!
                      Thank you so much for the update,posts like this are worth so much to those seeking new options. I plan to visit to get IPL as soon as I can afford it, though I think it's good value for money compared to the lipoflow. I have an tear deficiency too and have plugs, so hopefully it will still do some good. This was actually the first dry eye triumph post I ever read, before I had even joined the forum and its great to see a happy ending. Poeple do recover, so can we!
                      People have recovered, so can we.
                      www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Ipl

Hi Gaz,

I'm about to make an appointment for the dry eye centre and am interested in the IPL treatment.
                        Were any risks explained to you prior to the procedure? Also, how was the treatment performed? What kind of safety measures were there? Has anyone else on the forum
                        Had IPL here? Thank you for the info you have provided.

Comment

Hi Sharon, and thanks to Gav for the post.

I went to the dry eye centre shortly after reading Gaz's post. I have been to several doctors for my dry eyes but this place is by far more thorough and was able to explain a lot more. Turns out that I have both aqueous deficiency and MGD. I was really excited to try IPL at the first appointment but couldnt because I was already on a course of antibiotics. Apparently you cant have IPL if you are taking a cousre. Instead he recommended punctal plugs first because of the aqueous deficiency and waited until i finish my antibiotics course. My eyes were a lot more moist straight away and the drops I used lasted longer. I also bought a pair of moisture chamber glasses which are great for my hours of using the computer and driving, they even put my prescription in!

I finished my course of antibiotics in June and have now had 2 IPL sessions. I have to say I felt a slight improvement after the first session but wasnt sure if this was just me being optimistic. After the second one my eyes definitely feel less gritty and not needing to put drops in as much but i still do as recommended. Hopefully after the full course I will be in a much better position and maybe someday I will be able to try contact lenses again. They did offer scleral lenses but I think I'll keep to my new glasses for now. My eyes definitely feel better thanks to the combo of treatments.

Sharon, I remember going through a lot of questions before consenting to IPL so the best thing to do is maybe email or call them about your questions, theyre quick at getting back. I would recommend going for a visit IPL or not!

Comment

Ok so just a quick update, its been nearly two weeks since my first Ipl treatment ,ive gone from complete misery to almost normal.Cant believe it.I would say i am 75ish% improvement, and I still have 3 treatments to go so can only imagine.At this rate Ill be singing in the street I have been using honey drops morning afternoon and bed time.I have not used any other drops (I was putting drops in every half an hour) So like Gamechanger.....THIS IS
                            A GAMECHANGER!! I can function again , phew I was so worried dry eyes would haunt me for the rest of my life .Oh I also take Thera nutritional capsules. ..

Comment

I am so glad to hear these positive responses about IPL. This is very encouraging!

Comment

Working...
                              X