Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more dry eye!

Hey everyone,

I promised myself if I ever got better I would write everyone first before leaving dry eye talk. I hope this helps people recently diagnosed with dry eye who all to often become depressed by the word CHRONIC! I could not get that word out of my head. I felt doomed. I wish you all the best, and I hope this helps people who feel hopeless. When I was at my worst I had a schrimer of 1 and had a hard time opening my eyes. However, now my eyes are normal. They are still not "perfect" and I will never touch contacts again, but I have no pain, where eye makeup, and don't have to use drops! I still do lids scrubs just b/c it is habbit now---eh it couldn't hurt right?

Anyway thank you to everyone who has posted me over the past months. It has helped me so much. I wish you the best.
    ~Erin

Hooray!

So glad to hear that someone actually got better! My eyes have also improved exponentially since moving to a wetter climate and being diligent with treatments. I am also amazed by the fact that I have been able to wear contacts with no problem this week for the first time in a year. This is life-altering, as my prescription is -14 and my vision sucks in glasses. I had lost hope for a long time, so take it from me not to give up! And don't settle for any doctor- keep trying until you find one who will listen to you.

Comment

Great to hear these success stories - It gives us all hope

Comment

Thanks so much

Thanks for taking the time to come here and post. This is great news. Thanks so very much.

Billye

Comment

Erin: Congrats on your better eye condition. I hope it continues forever.

Gettin better: I'm glad you are doing better also. As a very high myope I'd like to put a bug in your ear to keep your eyes in good shape so you can continue to wear contacts. I know vision with glasses at -14 is the pitts. Also steer clear of refractive surgery--you are an eye surgeon's dream for selling this

From your post, I'm betting you would not go there.

Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Awesome! I'm happy to hear someone has had success! Thanks for posting this!

Comment

Keeping eyes in good shape

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for the advice. No surgery for me thanks! I love being able to wear contacts but I'm scared that they will make my eyes worse if I wear them too much. Is this not necessarily true?

Comment

gettin better,

my prescription is like yours and I couldn't not have them (contacts) or I'd go crazy, we can't have laser anyway because it won't correct that high, so it's a nasty place to be, I don't know about you but my glasses don't even correct my prescrition well anymore

I wear contacts sometimes, my eye doc says they don't make my eyes worse, I don't think they do actually, whatever it is I have is the same when I don't wear contacts, the only thing is that wearing contacts is uncomfortable for me, scratchy, even with soft ones, but i can at least wear them occassionally. I can't wear hard ones though, they don't fit my eyes....

GRRR!!!
                just keep swimming...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanza
                  my prescription is like yours and I couldn't not have them (contacts) or I'd go crazy, we can't have laser anyway because it won't correct that high, so it's a nasty place to be, I don't know about you but my glasses don't even correct my prescrition well anymore ...
                  wearing contacts is uncomfortable for me, scratchy, even with soft ones, but i can at least wear them occassionally. I can't wear hard ones though, they don't fit my eyes....
                  !
                  For difficult prescriptions like this, with some dry eye, you may want to look into much larger size gas permeable lenses like Macrolenses or intralimbals. They can be more comfortable and more dry eye friendly than soft lenses as well as providing better vision quality for some of the tougher scripts. If you look around locally for an optometrist who is experienced with fitting contacts for keratoconus or transplant patients, they tend to be the ones with the most up to date knowledge of what can be done and what types of lenses may work for you - mainstream practitioners these days don't deal with gas perms all that much.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for that! I'll keep an eye out (!) for those lenses, you're right they don't tend to offer gas perm much anymore. Thought was surprised when I finally got offered soft ones in Europe, when I lived in the UK they wouldn't give me soft ones, but the gas perms would just sort of fall out constantly, my eyes are too big for them.
                    just keep swimming...

Comment

I am so glad to hear about your triumph over dry eye. I probably always had dry eye to some degree because I always had trouble wearing contacts.

I am more of an observer on this site, but I too intend on reporting to everyone on my triumph over this condition as soon as I get better. I think we all need to hear the successes, and be positive. I have been dealing with this condition since August 2007, and I am currently being seen by Dr. Latkany.

Comment

Hi, Erin.

Glad to hear of your success! Best wishes.

I am having my own smaller success. Although I still have recurrent corneal erosions, they are not affecting my vision as badly as they did, and I generally feel like my eye is doing better. I owe a lot of that to this discussion board and everyone's helpful tips and support.

Comment

Hi glad to hear you are better. What was your regime?

I doubt my eyes will ever get better now as i am sure i something systematical is causing it now i.e fibromyalgia or rocsacea. Progesterone cream has helped alot, but despite this, PRP, restasis, fish oil, doxy and everything else ive tried my eyes still as dry as the desert.
                          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

do you suspect dry eye caused by autoimmune diseases?

hi sazy

i thought you were doing great with the cream but now you are saying your dry eye is caused by something systemically or maybe auto immune?
                            i myself just found out that i may have sjogren's as i am starting to develop dry mouth symptoms in the last month.

if you do suspect anything auto immune related, you may want to check out my most recent thread in the open forum. it may be of interest to you.

regards,

chris c

Comment

I'm somewhat new so maybe there are plenty of threads that would answer this question, but:

How did erinlins get better?

That seems to be the most important information, and it was left out of the post as far as I can tell. There are reference to "getting better" and having no more pain, so naturally I'm interested in exactly how this was achieved. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X