BIG improvement with plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG improvement with plugs

It has been one month and 3 days since having the upper punctum plugged. As I stated in my previous posts on this topic, it took a while to get used to them.

Here is where I stand now.

I love them!! I still have a bit of overflow and keep my tissue handy but basically guys I don't have dry eyes anymore. I have too wet eyes here and there, sometimes a bit of burning late, late in the evening when I need to go to sleep but overall the improvement since before I had the uppers done is amazing. I can tolerate air conditioning, heating, smoke you name it. Now my eyes response will be they over tear in these conditions but as soon as I'm out of the atmosphere the eyes are happy again. It used to be one trip to the mall and I my eyes we drier the rest of the day. What has really been wonderful is my evenings can now be spent reading and watching tv. Something I gave up right after my lasik unless I was wearing my panoptx and now I have more comfort than even when I was wearing them in the past for these activities. Are my eyes completely perfect or as they were pre-surgery? No. But I can deal with the overtearing here and there and the small amount of burning I may feel at the end of a long day. I feel these plugs were my answer to great improvement. But it took several weeks to get to this place. I am still sleeping in gel just in case. I use my Systane PF upon waking. And the warm compresses 2x a day. That's all my routine consists of now. My "bad" days aren't that bad and my "good" days are great.
    I feel very positive about my future. I will probably always have an issue with my eyes and have to be careful with their care. But overall I think getting the uppers done was a HUGE key to finding BIG improvement in my case. YEAH! Thank you so much to Lucy, who told me to be patient!!!

Did you just have lower plugs in before the uppers? I have had lowers in for some time now and my left eye does great at times, but my right eye is no where near being moist enough for any kind of comfort in dry environments.

I have considered getting an upper plug in my right eye in hopes for a dramatic difference and it sounds like in your scenario it was.

That is great news!! I am glad to hear that you found some comfort!!

Comment

Originally posted by untkicker29 View Post
      I have considered getting an upper plug in my right eye in hopes for a dramatic difference and it sounds like in your scenario it was.
      If you're looking for a dramatic difference in tears staying in your eyes, upper plugs will definitely do the trick. It was rediculous the difference between just lowers and both plugged was for me. Whether or not thats the answer to whatever the cause of your particular DES, who knows. It wasn't for me....I don't even have plugs at this point.

bassfan

Comment

Bassfan,
        I see you are located in Ft. Worth. What doctor do you see around here? I live just south of Denton.

Comment

I had lowers in for about a year and decided to try the uppers again because the lowers by themselves just weren't cutting it. I had tried upper and lowers a few months after my lasik surgery and didn't get the relief I now have. I think the additional months to heal and being on Restasis for a year probably got me to the point that the uppers really make a difference now. You must remember though, in most cases having your eyes quadriplugged won't end your issues with your eyes. They may be moister but there may still be overtearing and some burning at times. At least this has been my case. But I will trade this for the bone dry feeling I had sometimes, mostly in the evenings. Now I can read and watch tv after work!! Love that!! And warm compresses with Rebeccas rice baggie can bring me immediate and lasting comfort when my eyes are tired or burning. If you haven't bought one, I would highly recommend it. I'm not really in love with the dripping I have but it's a trade off for that bone dry feeling. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by untkicker29 View Post
            Bassfan,
            I see you are located in Ft. Worth. What doctor do you see around here? I live just south of Denton.
            Just moved here from NY actually....so I don't really have a doctor here. Im not much for eye docs anymore. I went to see Dr G in Coppel, who used to post on this board but I got the feeling he doesn't want to see DES patients anymore, so I dont plan on seeing him again.

If you want to see a doctor that might actually know what he's talking about...go down to Baylor in Houston and see Dr Pflugfelder. I've done a lot of looking into doctors in TX and he looks like he's done a lot of good work. He only sees new patients on Mondays I think. I called and got an appt but decided to cancel it because i didn't have time to make the big drive there and back.

hope that helps

bassfan

Comment

What kind of plugs?

Hi LasikLady,
              great to hear that you solved your dry eye problem?

What kind of plugs do you exactly have?
              I'm pretty new to this forum but I heard there are many different kind of plugs... Which ones would you recommend?
              I read Smart Plugs are the best/ newest... Is that right?

Thanks a lot,
              Katy

Comment

Working...
              X