found the cure (for me)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• found the cure (for me)

After battling constantly tearing, scratchy, itchy, bloodshot, painful eyes for 3 years I found my cure. I couldn't look at a computer monitor for more than 5 minutes without tears streaming down my face. I couldn't watch a movie, walk outdoors in the breeze or bright sunshine. I spent every day in pain. I saw two opthamologists (they said it was classic dry eye - they both said have surgery to narrow the exposed area of the eye), a dry eye optomistrist, an allergist, a dermatologist and had a sinus CAT scan. I took antihistamine daily and started allergy shots for pollen and grasses. I bought every eye drop in the store. I was using restais drops daily (they do help tear production). I bought computer glasses. Nothing worked.

Then I started to do my own analysis in earnest. I determined I am allergic to soy. I was enjoying soy lattes, soy & fruit smoothies, soy yougurt, etc. I cut the soy from my diet and within a week I was off every eye drop, the redness around my eyes was gone, the itching was gone. Sunshine and wind are no longer a problem. I am in front of a computer monitor 8+ hours a day with no problem (I still like my computer glasses better than bicfocals).

I've since done a lot of reading and it seems soy is a pretty common allergy and we are adding soy to our diets in many ways. Food allergies frequently manifest themselves as conjunctivitas.

I know this won't be the answer for everyone suffering from dry eye. But its worth considering food allergies. Although you can be tested by an allergist you might try your own detective work first. Consider any foods you consume every day and in larger quantities (especially if the food has been processed and concentrated). A quick search of the web will reveal 8 typical food allergies that might be a good starting point.

I never would have believed my problem could be cured by such a simple lifestyle change but it's true. I've waited a month before writing this note to ensure that I wasn't offering false hope.

Good luck and best wishes to all who are suffering from this debilitating situation.

found the cure

That is such great news ,Dave P !! I wish you continued eye health !!

nancy

Comment

What type of dryeye do you have? lack of tear production or meibomian gland dysfunction?

Comment

Dave, that's awesome! And that's something I haven't heard about or read about before. Doctors keep mentioning allergies, but they're talking about seasonal allergies and/or dust and mold and the like. Who would have thought a food allergy would manifest that way. Thank you for the heads up and I'm so glad to hear that one of us is cured!
        -NYer

Comment

Awesome. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing about it. We all need to hear dry eye triumphs!!
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I had meibomian gland dysfunction

I had meibomian gland dysfunction causing dryness, excessive tearing (but not productive tears), burning and itching.

I believe itching is a clue to whether you are suffering from classic dry eye or perhaps allergies too.

Comment

Congratulations. I am going down the allergy path to treat my tired, sore eyes, and I hope I find success as you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                I believe itching is a clue to whether you are suffering from classic dry eye or perhaps allergies too.
                bravo...guys if your eyes don't itch , no allergy i guess !

Comment

Working...
                X