Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cured -- Fingers crossed

Hello all,

I don't want to raise any false hopes with this email, but I do want to pass along something that's worked for me for a good four or so months.

Before I tell you what it is, a bit about me: I've suffered from blepharitis and dry eye since I was 29 (I'm 44 now). I can say, without exaggeration, that this condition significantly impaired my quality of living to the extent that I often considered whether continuing was worth it.

I had punctal plugs put in a few years ago. They worked for about three days. Then, four months ago, one popped half way out. I went to emergency to have it removed. The doctor on staff did not even know what a punctal plug was. He poked at my eye a while, then gave up. I left the hospital with it still in and received a $150 bill to boot.

But the story has a flip side: While in doctor's office, I asked him, in despair, if he'd ever known anyone to recover from blepharitis/dry eye. Fully expecting he'd answer "no," I was surprised and highly skeptical when he said "Yes. I did."

He told me he'd used Dial antibacterial soap to wash his eyelids and his blepharitis disappeared.

As they say, hope springs eternal. With few to no expectations, I bought Dial soap, the plain white bar kind. Sure enough, a day or so later, the itchiness, stickiness and irritation were vastly improved. A while after that, the dry eye also abated. (Blepharitis irritates the eye film, so the latter makes sense.)

Anyway, it's been about four months now, and I can count on clear eyes almost every day. The only time they flare up is if I'm under stress, am premenstrual or if there's pollen in the air (which is allergies, not dry eye). I just gently rub my soapy finger on my closed eyelids and lashes while in the shower. A little soap seeps through the eyelashes to the lid margins, which stings, but, hey, who cares?

So I hope this helps someone, and I'd love to hear from others who try it and get results.

Best,

Cured?

This is fantastic news for you. I have a question, though: you said your doctor used Dial antibacterial soap, whereas you use the "plain white bar kind." Was he referring to a liquid soap? Or is the type you use also antibacterial?

Thanks.

Randal

Originally posted by cured View Post
    Hello all,

I don't want to raise any false hopes with this email, but I do want to pass along something that's worked for me for a good four or so months.

Before I tell you what it is, a bit about me: I've suffered from blepharitis and dry eye since I was 29 (I'm 44 now). I can say, without exaggeration, that this condition significantly impaired my quality of living to the extent that I often considered whether continuing was worth it.

I had punctal plugs put in a few years ago. They worked for about three days. Then, four months ago, one popped half way out. I went to emergency to have it removed. The doctor on staff did not even know what a punctal plug was. He poked at my eye a while, then gave up. I left the hospital with it still in and received a $150 bill to boot.

But the story has a flip side: While in doctor's office, I asked him, in despair, if he'd ever known anyone to recover from blepharitis/dry eye. Fully expecting he'd answer "no," I was surprised and highly skeptical when he said "Yes. I did."

He told me he'd used Dial antibacterial soap to wash his eyelids and his blepharitis disappeared.

As they say, hope springs eternal. With few to no expectations, I bought Dial soap, the plain white bar kind. Sure enough, a day or so later, the itchiness, stickiness and irritation were vastly improved. A while after that, the dry eye also abated. (Blepharitis irritates the eye film, so the latter makes sense.)

Anyway, it's been about four months now, and I can count on clear eyes almost every day. The only time they flare up is if I'm under stress, am premenstrual or if there's pollen in the air (which is allergies, not dry eye). I just gently rub my soapy finger on my closed eyelids and lashes while in the shower. A little soap seeps through the eyelashes to the lid margins, which stings, but, hey, who cares?

So I hope this helps someone, and I'd love to hear from others who try it and get results.

Best,

Cured?

Comment

Dial soap

Hi Randall,

Yes, the bar soap is antibacterial.

It's still working!

Write back and tell me if it works for you. It will take a few weeks to see, although I felt a difference within days.

Comment

Hi Cured

Fantastic news how your condition has improved so astoundingly!!!!

Can I ask, do you wear contact lenses?

Comment

Lots cheaper than Steri-lid anyway. I had a bar already in the house, but mine are gold. I don't recall ever seeing white Dial . Any difference?

My blepharitis improved tremendously after using Azasite drops, but unfortunately , seems to recur, albeit milder. . So I'll keep using a combination approach. Azasite, Doxy, Tobradex, and give Dial a try!

Comment

How Is It As Compared to Foaming Cleansers

Have you ever tried the OcuSoft foaming cleanser, or Sterilid? If so, do you find the Dial soap works better than these?

I'm asking because I was using OcuSoft foam (or whatever it's called) but since yesterday switched to Dial soap ("plain white bar") to try a new experiment. And I'll definitely post back in a few days or a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Randal

Originally posted by cured View Post
            Hi Randall,

Yes, the bar soap is antibacterial.

It's still working!

Write back and tell me if it works for you. It will take a few weeks to see, although I felt a difference within days.

Comment

This is such an interesting thread.

Years ago, my dermatologist recommended dial soap to me for prevention of acne. He told me it was the best overall soap for cleaning bacteria from the pores. [This was over 20 years ago].

I have used dial soap daily ever since. I use it on my face in the a.m. but to remove my makeup at night I use Purpose brand facial cleanser.

In reading so many threads here at DEZ about blepharitis and MGD, I have often wondered why I have never had either. I have all kinds of conjunctivitis and eyelid dermatitis regularly. But never blepharitis.

Maybe it's the dial soap. The white bar, antibacterial that I have used for over 2 decades.

You think maybe?

Scout

Comment

Working...
              X