a relief for blepharitis and dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a relief for blepharitis and dry eye

I have had dry eye for 10 years, ever since my lasik surgery. I had blepharitis in one eye ever since the surgery. A month ago I developed blepharitis in the other eye, from a reaction to smoke. I was willing to try anything for some relief.

I was searching online and found a post by one person who claims that bleach cured his blepharitis. I decided to give it a try and was amazed with the result. Bleach is harmful to the eyes but a very small amount on the eyelids has given me relief that I have not gotten for 10 years.

This is my everyday routine.

Morning
    1.After shower I rinse my eyes with BOTTLED water. tap water hurts them
    2.I do a warm compress, rice bag, for a few minutes.
    3.I drink a half a glass of carrot juice, which surprisingly helps with the dry eye a bit

Evening
    1.Rinse my eyes out again
    2.fill a bottle cap with water then add a FEW drops of bleach. I dip the Q tip in and clean my eyelids with it. the eyelash area and a little inside but just the top part of the lid. I rinse after a minute
    3.Warm compress

This has given me great results and I hope it helps others

Welcome Roy007!

I am very glad to hear that you've gotten relief from blepharitis! That said, I really have to caution against putting bleach in or near one's eyes. There are many substances that can be used for treating anterior blepharitis ranging from topical antibiotics to lidscrubs to diluted baby shampoo.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by roy007 View Post
      2.fill a bottle cap with water then add a FEW drops of bleach. I dip the Q tip in and clean my eyelids with it. the eyelash area and a little inside but just the top part of the lid. I rinse after a minute
      3.Warm compress
      No offense, but I think i'll just stick with the warm compresses! I can't think that any diluted amount of a chemical like that is good for the eye...

bassfan

Comment

bleach?

what kind of bleach? doesn't it harm the eye?

Shahara

Comment

I tried drops that the doctor gave me, nothing seemed to realy help. I know it sounds crazy but this realy helps. I just used regular bleach. it is in very small amounts 3 drops in a big bottle cap full of water.

I know logic says that this harmful, but i dont think its as harmful as lasik. I am just happy to share something that worked for me

Comment

This is very interesting and its apparent that the bleach is getting rid of something normal medicines cant. Bleach is a bactericide and thats probably why its working so well. The only concern i have, other than putting bleach in your eye! is.. I heard it can cause hair loss? Ive had bleph for 6 months and am going to continue normal treatment for a while before I give this a try

Comment

I am still a little nervous with this method and urge whoever tries this to do it with caution but I was desperate for some help and this seems to do it

Comment

how much did this method clear up your symptoms? How long are you going to continue this treatment for? Has it come back since you've stopped?

Comment

Its not all gone but I am very comfortable now. I have only been doing this for a week but I will keep posting on how its going

Comment

Bleach can also bleach your lashes white. I would ask your eye doctor to recommend something that can accomplish what bleach does but I wouldn't consider putting bleach near my eye - even diluted.

Comment

Originally posted by NYer View Post
                      Bleach can also bleach your lashes white.
                      That'd be awesome! So in a year when this turns out to be the magic cure all for DES, we'll all be able to spot each other because of our crazy white eyelashes!

bassfan

Comment

Roy have you tried diluted baby shampoo?
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

shampoo realy hurts my eyes. I use that foam eyelid cleaner but it does not really help. This is too small of an amount to actualy whiten the lashes, that is a funny thought though, but for now it works so i am sticking to it

Comment

hi everyone i will give you an update, itts been about two weeks. I stopped with the bleach, it is starting to hurt my eyes a bit. my eyes feel very good now. the blepharitis seems to be under control but i think its because of the many warm compresses i do. I started running a bit everyday and the exercise really helps with the dry eye, i guess its the better blood flow.

Comment

Do NOT use bleach near the eye

Per Dr. Latkany's response today to a question about this thread:

100% no on bleach. This would be an absolute disaster.
                              Whoever told you this is wrong. It is very dangerous
                              to get bleach anywhere near your eyes/eyelids.
                              Last edited by NYer; 22-Jun-2008, 19:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X