I am actually doing better…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am actually doing better…

I must say that in spite of all the annoying reasons I’d rather not have to wear these huge, shiny black, “motor-cycle Momma”, visually impairing black foam and lens fogging Panoptx glasses…I do. I wear them around the house, driving, walking, shopping, and at night too, while watching TV, etc.. (If I could see up close with my prescription -I’d wear them for reading and the computer.)

It is amazing what a difference wearing moisture chamber glasses makes for the comfort of my eyes. I can still blink at night, w/o my lids getting stuck, and the pain is soo much less. My worse eye still reflux tears and “spits” all over the inside of the lens, (making lots of extra cleanings necessary and is wearing out the foam already). And I am still in search of a solution to the fogging lens, (see my other thread if you have a suggestion, please). But whenever I get funny looks from people or give a second thought the feeling of wearing goggles all-the-time, I think, “it is amazing the motivation that pain provides”. And now the lift in my mood with the relief of much of it.

I am only a young 48 years old and hope there will be a cure to this awful condition DES… I really do not want to spend the remainder of my life locked into these thick black goggles. But I wanted to admit to those of you that have been here and done this, as well as those of you still considering and wondering if it is worth the trouble and investment to get Panoptx or some kind of moisture chamber glasses. It certainly seems to make a big difference for me!

Now I am also exploring the use of “Dwelle Drops” and eliminating the irritating Restasis drops, to see whether I notice any additional relief. So far I have noticed I still must use the “Gel” drops at night, it is just too dry and sticky when I only use the Dwelle. I also got the sample of “NutraTear”, but haven’t tried them yet, (I’m not sure when I should use them at this point?)

I am extremely grateful to the Dry Eye Zone/Talk and this message board (and Rebecca). It has been sooo helpful and supportive for me to read the many threads and to post new questions and get some really kind and helpful advise. I am also looking forward to reading the “The Dry Eye Remedy” to become better informed, hopefully.

Please make comments if you feel so inclined, as I really love the responses, it is so great to know I’ve been heard by others that understand. I’m open to questions, of course, but I am really a newbie to all the discussions here. I look forward to offering whatever support I can to any and all of you!

Massive Thanks!
    Rose

P.S. I have posted an update to my other threads: “Ongoing and recurring infection from Smart Plugs; Panoptx…deal with fogging.”

Glad to hear the Panoptx are helping. I have a black/sunglass pair and a transitions (day-night) pair. I was always embarrassed to wear the transitions type, because when the lenses would go clear, I looked like Raccoon Eyes. At least with the dark lenses, they sort of "pass" for a regular sunglass.

I have a couple of questions. Do you have the kind of Panoptyx with the removable foam insert? I was just wondering, because with the kind I have, you can remove that before you wash the lens. It sounded like you were washing them with the foam on---and that's why it's getting worn out?

Also, if the foam is getting damp from the washing, maybe that's making them fog up---too much extra moisture in there. But your reflex tears might be increasing the humidity, too.

I lent my 2 pairs to a friend who has dry eyes from Sjogren's. I really benefited from wearing them when I wore contact lenses. Now that I'm back in strong glasses all the time, I can't use them.

You could try those press-on "readers" segments---Walgreen's has them. I shaped/trimmed a pair to fit my Panoptx, and they worked OK for reading. And I even had a cheap pair of men's reading glasses that I propped on top of the Panoptx so I could see the computer. Now that's an unfashionable style, for sure!

I am also trying Dwelle and FreshKote--but for daytime only. I still rely on Genteal Gel at night. I used to think I had to use Dwelle at night to "succeed"----but it just doesn't last long enough for me to get a good night's rest. Something about have zero tears----I have to have my comfort blanket of gel at night.

Calli

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
      I was always embarrassed to wear the transitions type, because when the lenses would go clear, I looked like Raccoon Eyes.

Calli
      Thanks for your comment. Yes I agree ‘cause I have the Transitions too. I wish they would stay even a little darker all the time! Here’s to raccoons!

I do have the removable foam, thank goodness. ( I even have an extra and have been rotating them, still they are wearing out.) I have really been very careful with the cleaning of them too. I take the foam off before cleaning the lens throughout the day. I also clean the foam in a bowl at night.

I am sure the reflux is a big part of the fogging, ‘cause it is always the most in the worse eye too. (Heck, I try to get a tissue to dab the tear before it rolls down my cheek, but I don’t always have a free hand or a tissue handy.)

I’ve considered trying the stick on lens, but my scrip for distance is enough to make PC viewing a problem… I don’t even know if the stick on will work in the combination with it? Oh well.

So how long have your foam inserts held up?

Comment

Yea!

Thanks for the great news, Redbirdi!

--Liz

Comment

truly a marvelous, but underutilized, option

Redbirdi - -Thank you for so eloquently expressing what I have never been able successfully to convey: That consistent use of a moisture chamber can dramatically improve quality of life for DES sufferers. . .and can even alter tear film wetting and de-wetting patterns for the better. . .

I sense that PanOptx and other wrap-type options provide truly excellent protection, but for those for whom wraps and goggles are not very comfortable, or not sufficiently aesthetic, custom-made moisture chambers, added on to regular glasses compete very well. . .Custom moisture chambers got me back to work, and kept me normally functioning, for years, until I went into major remission of DES through use of Dwelle, and no longer needed moisture chambers.

When the upcoming MEGs (micro-environment glasses) finally hit market, we shall all be able to see whether this sleek-looking, non-wrap, non-goggle option does the trick, too. . .

Congratulations, and eternal thanks for spreading the word about the truly significant improvement that is possible through protective eyewear. .
          <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirdi View Post
            So how long have your foam inserts held up?
            I've had the one dark pair of Panoptx for about 5 years, I think. I never wore them on a daily basis---mainly for driving--I couldn't drive without them. Anyway, the foam and especially the felt-like lining of the foam is definitely breaking down. Little fuzzy pieces all over the place. I never washed the foam, though, only the lenses. I think the material just breaks down over time, the same way seat cushions do....

I wasn't sure what you meant about the stick-on segments. Do you mean you need a "plus" power for mid-range (computer) and distance also? I just used them for reading--they only come in 6 powers-+1.25 up to +3.00. When looking at the computer, you have to either position the monitor low, or tilt your head to see it through the segments, neither of which works very well.

Calli

Comment

Thanks for your comment. Yes I agree ‘cause I have the Transitions too. I wish they would stay even a little darker all the time! Here’s to raccoons!
              I, too, am a raccoon with my Transition (prescription) Panoptx. I figure if I wear them to my doctor(s) offices, stores, etc. everyone will get used to seeing me in them. Otherwise, I don't care. I can't care. Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Decision coming up

I've got to make the decision to either go for another pair of panoptx with corrective lenses or the mini scleral contacts. I'm really suffering with my eyes right now after a period of doing o.k. Personally, I think it's our dry Texas heat and the constantly blowing airconditioners. But I may be wrong. Inflammation markers are up all over. I dread seeing the rheumatologist tomorrow. But then maybe he can help.

Billye

Comment

As we are all so different, I find the winter heat worse on my eyes than the air conditioning. Living in the Great Lakes State, we use lots of heat! Winter seems 9 months long at times. A/C use I use liberally when it's hot and I do it despite the huge cost. Our air is quite humid and that probably helps in the summer as I go in and out. I'm still doing everything I can--but winters are the worst. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

How long should the foam inserts last?

Hey Lucy, since you wear your Panoptx most of the time, I'd like to ask how do you do with the foam inserts?

How long do they hold up for you and any suggestions to keeping them in good shape?

Thanks

Comment

I treat the foam on my Panoptx with kid gloves. I wash them as little as possible. Once a week or so, I will take a damp cloth and gently wipe any makeup stains left around the nose piece.

When I do wash them, I put a little warm water in the bathroom sink and maybe a drop or two of Palmolive Dish Soap, then soak the foam for a bit. Then I run warm water gently over the foam, being careful not to rub. I lay the foam down on a towel to dry.

If you're buying foam inserts, it's smart to get two instead of one. You never know when Panoptx may stop making your particular brand. I should say that I don't do any heavy work or go anyplace where I'm all sweaty and dirty, and this keeps my foam inserts clean for a long time. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Live and learn and thank you Lucy!

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                        I treat the foam on my Panoptx with kid gloves. I wash them as little as possible. Once a week or so, I will take a damp cloth and gently wipe any makeup stains left around the nose piece.
                        To bad I was scared into thinking I had to clean my foam inserts everyday by this link I found on another thread here “How do you clean your Panoptx Glasses”. http://dryeyepain.com/GG3-DefogCare.htm#care-for

Now that I am learning to take some of the advice and suggestions more gingerly here… I guess I could have only cleaned the foam after a particularly hot and sweaty day. I really had no way of knowing that I did not have to follow the above routine faithfully. These kind of glasses were new to me and I was coming out of an ongoing eye infection of over 5 months. So I believed I had to be extra careful. Now that I have seemed to wear out 2 foam inserts in only a month… well at $27 a pop, that is a costly shame.

Having a condition such as this, DES, can really make a person a bit desperate and willing to do anything (even to the extreme). Anything for a little relief from the kind of pain we all go through.

Live and learn and thank you Lucy for giving me a more realistic perspective on cleaning the foam inserts so they can last a longer time. Let us pray they don’t discontinue our models, that is a really expensively frightening thought at this point for me…

Comment

I'm sorry I don't have more info on the site/in the shop about this! I will make a note to add it.

As regards the eyecups... Panoptx usually keep lots of them around for at least two years after discontinuing the model. If they come near discontinuing an eyecup I'll try to buy up their remaining ones. I still stock Sirocco eyecups (slightly different from Churada) from when they made the switch between those two models.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Rebecca!
                            That would be a really good idea to let others new to Panoptx know about the sensitivy of the eye foam to water and excessive washing etc.
                            Glad to hear you will stock the inserts too. I have the cyclone, so I plan on ordering the inserts from my local dealer for now. Unless you can get a discount?

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirdi View Post
                              I have the cyclone, so I plan on ordering the inserts from my local dealer for now. Unless you can get a discount?
                              Different story with the Cyclone (and Viento)... That one has foam built-on so there is no eyecup to replace. The only way to get new foam on that is to have it re-foamed by Panoptx. I'm not sure whether local dealers will help with that or not - I think you have to call Panoptx and arrange to ship it straight to them.

Whoops, I just re-read your post, obviously what you've got has replaceable eyecups.... Hm... sure that's a Cyclone?
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X