Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting to feel normal after lasik now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting to feel normal after lasik now.

Things are really starting to get better now and my eyes are starting to feel fairly normal since having having lasik 6 months ago. I hope that I continue to see improvement and do not hit a plateau. So this morning I used a drop of Tears Naturale upon waking. Then about an hour later used a drop of Nutratear before going to work. It has been 13 hours since I used a drop and I haven't even taken flaxseed oil or fish oil in about two week! My eyes are relatively comfortable too.

Traveler, this is good news. Actually "great news" to hear you're feeling better. May the healing continue. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

It IS really great news...I cling to these stories! i'm still stuggling at 8 months post-op, but hopeful still.

Send me your healing vibes!

Comment

Thanks for the kind replies. Yesterday was the best day that I have had with my eyes since having Lasik. Today has not been so good though. I have had to use drops maybe six times today and I am going to use some Dakrina before bed. It seems to change from day to day but at least I'm not using drops once every hour now. I can drive for several hours without problems when before I have been known to pull off of the side of the road just so that I could put in some drops. I am very thankful for the improvements that I have seen. I just hope that I continue to have more and more days like yesterday.

Comment

We forget because everyone on this site has had problems with lasix. The overwhelming majority of people who have the surgery do just fine.

There is a girl at work who is 53 and considering it. I told her about this site and gave her my opinion that it just is not worth the risk. Yes the majority do fine, but if you are not in the majority, your life can be ruined. She doesn't seem to be listening. All I can do is try I guess.

Comment

Jade9923,
            Yes but has your friend had the proper screening? If she is having contact intolerance this may be a sign of dry eye already there.

Traveler,
            If your dry eye does get better, is your opinion that the six months of dry eye symptoms was worth it?

Regards,
            Bruce
            Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Better

So happy to hear that your eyes are getting better. It's funny you should mention your friend wanting to get LASIK. I learned about two months ago that a neighbor and coworker was getting LASIK from the surgeon who messed up my eyes. We're not good friends, but I felt duty-bound to tell him about my experience.

He got the surgery and is perfectly fine. The things I told him to ask the surgeon about beforehand were: whether or not he was a high myope (he wasn't). whether or not he had big pupils (he didn't). whether or not he had dry eye (he didn't). Of course there are other contraindications for the surgery, but these are some of the questions I'd have a friend pose to their surgeon if they insisted on having this operation.

Comment

Originally posted by brd888 View Post
                Jade9923,
                Traveler,
                If your dry eye does get better, is your opinion that the six months of dry eye symptoms was worth it?

Regards,
                Bruce
                Bruce, that is such a hard question to answer. In one hand I am happy with my vision as I can see 20/15 now. Though I do have significantly more floaters that I had prior to Lasik. I am getting pretty good at ignoring the floaters now. If the dryness goes away completely I would say that I would be happy with the outcome of having Lasik.

On the other hand I really did suffer pretty badly from the dry eye. In addition to that the flap scares me a bit. I had to have a flap revision the next day after surgery. I have been told by my Opthamologist that the flap can be lifted years later and never fully heals. As far as choosing Lasik I wish that I would have had PRK, Lasek, or Epi-Lasik as there are no flap issues to deal with. I am so careful about touching my eyes now and I wouldn't even consider rubbing them. Sometimes I just wish I would have stuck with my glasses & contacts. However there is nothing that I can do about it except just hope that the dryness goes away or continues to improve. If I only had to uses drops upon waking and before bed that wouldn't be to bad.

Adam

Comment

There is a girl at work who is 53 and considering it. I
                  This person (in the 50's) really needs to be aware of dry eye problems resulting from LASIK, but also of the surgery making cataract surgery in the future a disaster. I could say more, but if she comes here and asks, I can PM more info. As in this happened to me!
                  Lucy
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Update!

It has been 8 months since having Lasik and things are continuing to improve.My eye drop use has decreased immensely. I pretty much only used Tears Naturale preservative free now and have had days where I did not even need drops. Now I pretty much use them when I wake up and sometimes not even then. However I occasionally have days where I need them more frequently, but thank goodness I no longer need them every 1.5-2 hours. Hang in there everyone!

Comment

Thank you Traveler...will you continue to post as it gives hope to us wondering if this will ever get better.

Bernadette

Comment

Working...
                      X