Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And now its my turn to say how well I am doing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now its my turn to say how well I am doing.

After having Lasik on one eye in April it is now safe to say that I am doing so much better.

I started noticing an improvement December 4th. I know the date because it was the day after I spent a day crying on the couch because the pain was so intense, despite everything I was doing. The whole dry eye thing felt like I was being drowned, i would be allowed up for a few days to catch my breath before being dragged down again into terrible pain. But since that day I have only had three days of that raw burning feeling.

My eye is fine half of the time, and the rest of the time it is irritated, and not painful. It feels like there is a thin hair in it, and not the cockroach dug into in my eyeball, I am so glad he has moved on! I also get a tickling sensation in that triangle of flesh that is on the eyeball, close to my nose, I don't know what it is called. Sometimes it feels dry and gritty, which is a huge step down from the constant burning and rawness from before.

I don't get that horrible burning feeling anymre, no rawness, no heavy dead weight, no eyeaches. Before I would have said I was between a 8-10 in terms of pain/agony, but now I really don't ever get more than a 5, and that would be on a really usual bad day, which are few and far between. Of course by posting this I will be sore tomorrow But the great thing is that if I have a bad day I know the next day is a new day and I start off with a good eye, and not the pain from the day before. My Dr. was delighted with my improvement when I saw him in January. He said he couldn't be sure what had caused my improvement, but to keep at it, because it's working. my TBUT was 10 seconds, wih very little inflammation, no dry spots, and a result of 8 on that form that measures my symptoms.

I was on Doxy for months and Azacite for 2/3 months. I am no longer taking those. In fact to be honest the only thing that I use in my eye in Dwelle once a day, sometimes more if I remember, Genteal gel and my moisture chambers. I should be doing my warm compresse and scrubs but the fact is I'm lazy and usually only do them once or twice a week, though I would like to do them once a day.

The two things that I would note about my improvement.

I stopped using Azacite at the start of December, and started to notice an improvement after this. When I first started using Azacite is seemed to numb the eye for about 10 minutes which was great for the pain, but after about 2 weeks I didn't notice any difference. I continued taking it, but I'm iffy about it benefits, for me at least. I would recommend giving it a shot, but I wonder if it works for some and just doesn't for others.

The second thing was the change in my diet. I started trying to eat a lot of raw vegetarian food in Septemer and this has got to the stage where I am now very aware of the nutritional and healing benefit of diferent types of foods. I also bought a juicer and drink 16onz of green veggie juice per day. Once again I don't know if this has helped but all I know is that I'm not going to risk it by going back to my pre-improvement diet, when something, even if I don't know what it is, is working, why change it. I also do meditation and resorative yoga, which really is a yoga for unwinding and relaxing.

I will need to update the information on my profile to reflect my improvement, but I will leave it for the moment.

I am so grateful to be able to post in my section, and so grateful that I will not have to deal with a day of depression when my one year anniversary arrives, instead I can go out and celebrate with a salad!!

I am also very grateful for all the help I got from this site. It motivated me to find a great Dr. (Dr. Michael Gagnon in the San Francisco area) and provided tips and support from those with more experince than me.

Bernadette
    Last edited by bernmee; 18-Feb-2009, 21:00. Reason: More info

Bernadette, that is wonderful news.

Comment

Glad for you - keep us updated!

Comment

bernadette, I would like to know more about the details of the diet you are on that has helped improve your dry eye. for example what foods do you avoid and what foods do you eat?

Thanks,

Rhad

Comment

Great news...thanks for sharing!
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I really hope my experience can help someone, esp. those post Lasik people who can't see how and when an improvement will happen.

Rhad, my diet has really been a case of re-education in terms of food. I hardly know where to begin

The basic premise is that there are toxins in my body that are causing illness. So the foods I eat must be quick exit foods that will help my body expell toxins. By eating these types of foods it will decrease the work my liver and gall bladder have to do, and will ensure there is nothing sitting around in my large intestine, which can lead to toxins that should be expelled from the body being reabsorbed into the body. The site below will explain things in full.

http://www.rawfoodlife.com/

I am following a raw food diet. The premise for this is that raw food retains mre nutrients than cooked food, and the enzymes in the food are not destroyed. Digestion takes a lot of energy, but if the food is eaten raw then the enzymes from the food can help in the digestion, and put less strain in the body. Plus the different enzymes in different foods have different healing effects on the body. Anything that is cooked above 115 degrees destroys the goodness in many foods

There is also a theory that if the body is too acidic, either through foods, stress and the modern day lifestyle then illness can set in. So the trick is to eat food that have an alkalizing effect on the body.

Animal products are out, as are anything that contains processed sugar. It also means switching such things are roasted nuts to raw nuts, refined olive oil to unrefined oil, regular salt to unprocessed sea salt, canola oil for coconut oil. It is about making small changes in lots of different areas of your diet.

What this means is eating an amazing amount of veggies, everyday. Beets and kale seem to come up the whole time as wonder veggies, followed closely by celery, cucumber and lemon juice. For fruits papaya is a big one for digestive enzymes. Avocados are also on my daily list.

Water is a huge thing, so I drink lots of herbal tea esp mint tea, as it helps cleanse the liver.

Organic food and changing regular cleaning products and beauty products to natural ones also helps.

If you are interested in learning more about this I would advise you to join http://my.crazysexylife.com/forum. This was set up by a young woman who has cancer. It is huge into healing through foods and lifestyle changes. Like this website it is a very active one and people are very open to taking about all types of things.

Different things work for different people. I decided to do this in September as hopelessness was setting in, and I needed to feel there was some hope and that I did have control. I can't say for sure that this has been responsible for my improvement, but I love that light airy feeling that I get from my body, so I will be sticking with it.

If you are interested Rhad PM me and I will give you the names of some books I have read about this.

Bernadette
            Last edited by bernmee; 19-Feb-2009, 21:37. Reason: More info

Comment

Bernadette,

Thanks for the raw food links and congratulations on your success! I recently changed my diet and have seen marked improvements in just a few weeks (I no longer need drops and my vision is getting clearer).

I've tried to give up sugar and gluten products (breads, pastries, pasta, etc), and replace them with more fresh fruit and vegetables. I've probably only been about 70% successful (I still have weak moments where the call of a bagel at Panera is too strong), but I'm starting to notice quickly the effects of certain foods on my eyes and overall health.

I saw Crazy Sexy Cancer on tv a few months ago. Very inspirational. I've read a few of Dr. Young's books, very interesting stuff.

- Dave

Comment

Working...
              X