Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20 months progressive recovery. Saw Dr Wu today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 months progressive recovery. Saw Dr Wu today!

Hello All. I am about 21 months post Lasik (had it back in July '07).

Months 1 thru 6: My first 5 months I only had some dryness upon waking in the morning, but after blinking my eyes a few times felt fine. I remember seeing my doctor for at a 2 month post-op checkup and he said they appeared to be slightly dry, but I didn't pay much attention because they felt fine. I was seing 20/15 and I didn't feel dry.

Month 6: Right about New Years time I was in Mexico City. It is high elevation and dry. My eyes started hurting and feeling dry. It took me about a week to figure it out, but then this is when I knew. Some of my pictures from Teotihuacan look awful bcos my eyes look super red and squinted! I was upset.

Months 6 thru 8: (Jan '08-March '08) For about three months last year I was in terrible shape, headaches, and pain. I got prety depressed from it. This is when I found this site. I ordered tranquilEyes (thanks Rebeca!). My eyes pained me well into spring too... I couldn't get over it.

Months 9 thru 15: Moderate dry eye. It definitely got better in the warmer weather. It didnt bother me as much, although always dry upon waking.

Month 15: (mid September '08) It got A LOT better. I think I posted this on another site because my loginwas not working here. I actually told people I had recovered. It seemed that after using a thorough coating of Genteal Gel at night and goggles (TranQuil Eyes) EVERY NIGHT RELIGIOUSLY for about two-three weeks, I was MUCH BETTER. For the rest of the fall and into winter and New Years, even in the cold I was fine. I thought I was more or less recovered/cured! I even stopped using the gel and eye protection.

Months 15 thru 19: I was feeling as if I was over it, and had finally found relief and not really worrying about them anymore.

Here was my posting from January 28th on usaeyes.org: Yes I have. Just recently, this year. It is about maintenance! The more you keep them healthy, the better they will feel over time. Until you get that concept you may never experience relief.
    I am about 20 months post-op, almost 2 years, and it wasn't until just a few months ago that I started to realize.
    -Coating my eyes very well with gel EVERY NIGHT, tilt my head back, then all the way forward, coat one eye, THEN do the other. Then wear the mask EVERY NIGHT.
    First thing in the morning, DRENCH your eyes!
    Just keep open nips of drops open all around, on the counter top, wherever. You gotta just keep using them.
    -Then, coating the surrounding skin with oil. I dip my hand in some , I use organic castor oil, thick. But you could use olive, jojoba, or even vaseline.. Coat your eye sockets, around your eyes, and eye lids, especially at night. Keeps the skin around your eyes from wicking moisture away from your eyes.
    And then just keep using the hell out of drops! And stay hydrated, and relaxed!
    Basically my eyes started seeing signs of improvement after 18 months, and I feel like they are still getting better! I am hopeful. This is also my recovery post. Oh, btw, there are others who take 2-3 years to recover as well.
    Good luck man! Keep stress reduced, and stay off the computer. Take care of yourself, and they very well should get better. That is what took me nearly 10 months to find out! And I Thank the Lord!!!!

Month 19 thru 21: I have had a bad two or three months since about mid February they started getting bad again, and now I am discovering that once this starts to happen, if you do not do anything about it, they just get inflamed, and they get worse.

Dr Helen Wu (Boston) today I saw her and she says I can get past this. She says that I have a lot of inflammation, BUT it is "cureable" she says!! Isn't that a bold statement!? Well I guess I did see a marked improvement from 12-18 months, so that says a lot I suppose!
    treatment plan:
    She said to try Restasis again (see I tried it for 3-4 weeks once last year but it just made things kinda irritated and didnt help so I stopped.) But she says I need to use a steroid first for two weeks in order for the Restasis to then work.
    -Use Lotemax for two weeks: 1 drop in each eye, 4x/day.
    -Start Restasis after 2 weeks using Lotemax.
    -Use Restasis: 1 drop in each eye, 2x/day.
    -AND Fish oil 1,000-2,000mg each day if my stomach can handle it.

She says to see her in 6 weeks. She thinks I can get better. I am hopeful.
    Thank you for reading my story. I apologize for the long italicized excerpt post above, but I just re-read it and thought it may be uplifting for some. I'm glad I posted it here.
    If anyone has had experience and relief from Lotemax and Restasis let me know. Thanks, B

B,

Thanks for posting your story. I think it is a good description of why it is so important to stick with your routine, even if your eyes feel better. (They feel better *because* of the routine! Don't stop it!)

That is a bold statement from Dr. Wu, and I hope she is right. I think her recommendation of the Lotemax/Restasis combo is fairly common -- it is what my doc initially prescribed, too, although I was on Lotemax for a lot longer than 2 weeks. The explanation I got was that the Lotemax would help reduce the inflammation and also make the Restasis more tolerable (i.e. less stinging).

I'm sure she explained that it can take a couple months for Restasis to kick in, so stick with it if you can.

If you haven't already been on omega-3 supplements, there is a lot of info on here about it. (I take 4G/day of omega-3 and eat salmon a couple of times a week.)

Good luck & let us know how you're getting on!

Teri

Comment

This is the same regimen my Dr. put me on. I am about 4 months into using Restasis and I think it is helping. My eyes have been more comfortable and less red. My eyesight also slightly improved from when I first was seen. So good luck, I think it may be helpful for you!

Comment

Dr Wu

She was he one who got me out of dry eye problems after 40 years of suffering. She tried many things to help me, not like the other docs who just said use eye drops and sent me home. She put a lot of effort into it. I am now seeing another doc at Lahey(insurance problems) otherwise I would still be seeing her. But if I have problems I would go back even if I have to pay, but this other doc has also been a big help. So nice after so many who were not. Hope it keeps going well wiht you, flaxseed was my salvation.

Comment

Similer story, Boston..

I got dry eye almost two years post-Lasik. I'm currently weaning myself off of Lotemax and am about one month into Restasis (1 drop each eye, 2 Xs a day). I also use the night goggles and Gel at night.

My eyes are starting to feel pretty good, though I've accepted the fact that there's a good chance I'll never be 100% again. I'm guessing much of the improvement is due to the warmer weather.

I'm actually flying to Miami for the day on Friday to get some custom fit wired-rimmed moisture glasses. I searched the country for an optometrist to do this and only found a few. I figured...Miami's more fun then anywhere else. Anyway, I think they'll be more aesthetic than the Pynoptx.

My biggest concern right now is my job which is VERY computer intensive. I spend a big chunk of my days trying to figure out what else I could do w/out the huge income impact.

I've been reading lots about FreshKote. I sent an email to my doc's office to see if he's heard of it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Comment

Virginia, I would be interested about who you found to make you some individual moisture chamber glasses! Maybe you can tell us all about it when you are with the finished product. This is something that might help many of us out. Many of us have travelled to see out of town docs, too!

If you don't want to put this on the board, maybe you could send me a private message about your prescription and the doc who is helping you.
            Thanks. Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Custom fit glasses - Miami

Lucy, et al:

I flew down to Balcom Palmer Eye Institute (optical center: 305-326-6092) in Miami to get fitted for custom fit, wired rimmed glasses. They're going to send me the final product in a couple weeks. I'll post a picture of them, if possible.

The down-side, of course, is the cost. A trip to Miami, plus about $700 for the glasses (non-prescription). I know, I'm wondering why I went through w/ this; but, I really wanted to see an expert make a pair of these. Hopefully, I'll be able to duplicate the process at some point. I've been trying for awhile, but to no avail.

Another benefit, however, was talking to the maker of the glasses (Angel). He's been there for 30 years and claims to have perfected the art of making the glasses. He's also very sympathetic to DES patients. He really makes an effort to find some stylish glasses, while hiding the plastic side pieces as much as possible. Working in an office environment, I've got some real hopes pinned to this.

I asked him several questions, WHY does nobody else do this? And, WHY don't you advertise. He claimed there wasn't a big enough market for the glasses. He also said he didn't know why Balcolm Palmer doesn't want to advertise. But, he's guessing if he did advertise, hundreds would call. We'll see what this email does for his business.

Interestingly, I asked, How many people like me show up each year (37 years old, post-Lasik DES). He estimated about 6. Wow, I'm a real minority out there! Most of his patients are, of course, older ladies, Shogrens.

I found the Balcom Palmer w/ some crazy Google searches. It was a very random catch.

Comment

Teri, yes, this is what she said about the Lotemax, that it would make Restasis less stinging and more comfortable, and work better.
                I hope this helps. How well is it working for you? Are your eyes much better now?

Elvisthistle, are you almost cured? How is the Lotemax and restasis working out?
                Is it noticeably better to the point where you feel like your eyes at least look normal?

Is that the case for any of you?
                I feel like it has ruined my look some. I used to get comments all my life on how I had such nice eyes! Wide and "beautiful eyes!" (I am 33 year old guy too), BUT now my eyes are often squinted, half closed, and irritated looking a lot. I hope I can get past this.

ALSO, I hate to say this, because I love New England and changing seasons, but I have wondered if moving to Florida or warmer more humid climate would help me a lot? Has anyone on here decided to move because of dry eye? What is So. Cal like, e.g. San Diego or LA? My sister lives in LA so at least I would have her around, as far as family goes. Most of rest of family is N.E.
                Like I said last fall I thought I was completely past this... but then the winter air got to me again!! arggggggg.
                Peace...............

Comment

Also think about Florida

I think for the long term, FL would be better; however, it's the A/C indoors that will get ya. I'm actually picking up a pair of custom made wire rimmed moisture chamber tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll get to feeling comfortable wearing them all the time indoors. Perhaps I'll move to FL some day, but my family is here in Richmond...would be tough.

Boston - I, too, developed dry eye about a year and a half after Lasik (37 year old male). My doc also has me on Restasis and Lotemax. I think that's the best treatment at this point. I also see Dr LatKeny?? (wrote "Dry Eye Remedy") also prescribes this type of treatment for people in our shoes.

Send me a private message if you'd like to chat sometime. I'd love to talk to somewhere w/ some a similer story.

Comment

Working...
                  X