Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osmolarity

hi,

quick short question; does anybody here know what a osmolarity rate of 293 means?
    i've visited my optometrist a week ago for a check up,and she did some measurements.
    my tbut is low (7seconds) but i already knew that. this was the first time she measured the osmolarity. very nice of her to do so,but how do i interpretate these measurements
    any input very welcome of course!

patrick...

Patrick,
    A measurement of 293 would be considered normal. Studies have shown that when osmolarity of the tear film is over 310-312 it corresponds 100% with dry eye/ocular surface disease.

Before trying to interpret the reading it would be wise to know the humidity of the room the measurement was taken in, was there air circulating in the room, etc. A number of external and internal factors can have an impact on an individual osmolarity reading. It would be best to have a series of readings before making an interpretation.

Comment

hi,

thanks for your reply!
      my optometrist has told me that i'm not very water deficient. so,i guess that this correlates with the outcome of the osmolarity test.
      i think in the future this test will become standard with my periodically check ups,so i will go watch closely if they vary very much in outcome.

patrick....
      Last edited by patrick; 24-Mar-2011, 06:42.

Comment

Working...
      X