errrr hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• errrr hello!

Hello all, whoever you may be, or not be, hope there is someone there!

I have never gone in for any of this forum stuff before, so i guess you could say i'm a first timer, so be gentle with me. However the site was written in just the sort of way i wanted, a sort of could be something could be nothing, but you know best as they are your eyes type thing. Never had eye problems before, but over the past three months my eyes have got progressively worse, red eye lids a little flakey but not a great deal, sore, dry and watery( if that makes sence) etc.. Up until now i thought i was making up a problem but it seems i am not alone.

Hope i can bring a little British humour along too.

On first glance i like the sound of the Lid cleaning stuff. However first question, can any tell me what a Q tip is ?

Cheers

Hi Ben! Welcome to Dry Eye Talk!

I think I know just how you feel! I was a bit intimidated (that's an understatement) the first time I went on a bulletin board - also for eye-related reasons - a few years ago. First replies I got scared me to death and I went and hid for awhile.

Q-tip is americanspeak for a cotton bud! I've been in the US for awhile now and I'm slipping - I'll try to remember to put both terms in where this is mentioned.

Lid therapy is great stuff. I try to do (as opposed to I do) lid scrubs every morning. Keeps the blepharitis at bay and can help with the meibomian secretions.

Have you seen an optometrist since you started having the problem? Always a good idea, in case there's something going on that needs a topical antibiotic or other treatment.

Regards,
    Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 22-Feb-2005, 07:50. Reason: spelling
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

p.s.

Originally posted by Ben
      dry and watery( if that makes sence)

Absolutely does. It's one of the confusing things about dry eye that watery eyes can be a sign of dry eye. "Dry eye" is such a misnomer, but then it's handier than saying "something or other is wrong with one or more parts of your tear film". If the tear film is compromised, the eyes produce much more watery tears (reflex tears - explained better in the Encyclopedia) as a response esp. as the eyes will be more vulnerable to any irritants. So they are "wet" but not at all lubricated properly.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
        Hi Ben! Welcome to Dry Eye Talk!
        Q-tip is americanspeak for a cotton bud! I've been in the US for awhile now and I'm slipping
        Regards,
        Americanspeak Rebecca, I detect no accent whatsoever in your typing.

Q-tips Cotton Swabs.

Comment

that was fast!

Hi Rebecca

Ahh the simple little cotton bud. Info stored for future.

I have been to the eye infirmary, the doctors and then finally went to get the troublesome little blighters tested, even though i think i'm slightly too vain to wear wear glasses just yet ( my fault, not the glasses ). The doctor saw nothing wrong and suggested drops, the infirmary said eyes could be a little dry and suggested a gel, which i duley got, and then finally the eye vison tester ( is that the optometrist ? ) she found that the tears were not dispersing properly, leaving my eye unprotected against, well most things i guess. The tear gel is soothing to the eyeball, but the upper and lower lids are at times very red, sore and tired, and i've just noticed recently little dry bits, not much really on the lashes, keep wanting to pull on my lashes to make the lid a bit more comfy. Also feels at times like there's something in there, but can't see anything.

Guess i was starting think i was making up a problem as the professionals never mentioned lid cleaning or anything.

Sorry to go on, but this is quite theraputic, what have you let yourself in for.

By the way Appolo beach Florida sounds much more exotic than North East England UK, can i change..

cheers

ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ben
            The doctor saw nothing wrong and suggested drops, the infirmary said eyes could be a little dry and suggested a gel, which i duley got, and then finally the eye vison tester ( is that the optometrist ? ) she found that the tears were not dispersing properly, leaving my eye unprotected against, well most things i guess. The tear gel is soothing to the eyeball, but the upper and lower lids are at times very red, sore and tired, and i've just noticed recently little dry bits, not much really on the lashes, keep wanting to pull on my lashes to make the lid a bit more comfy. Also feels at times like there's something in there, but can't see anything.
            Re the latter - it's called foreign body sensation and is one of the very most common symptoms of dry eye. Literally feels like there's a piece of grit in the eye, might be very localised, but it really is dryness.

Guess i was starting think i was making up a problem as the professionals never mentioned lid cleaning or anything.
            I've seen/heard this all the time but will never really understand it. SO many eye doctors have lid therapy (at least lid scrubs) on their websites. I think though that a lot of docs may assume that people don't want to go through all that hassle (convenience society etc). Not sure how else to explain it.

Sorry to go on, but this is quite theraputic, what have you let yourself in for.
            Do I ever understand! Cindy and I both first found some relief by wandering into eye forums too.

By the way Appolo beach Florida sounds much more exotic than North East England UK, can i change..
            Not as exotic as it sounds. Warm, though.... Great this time of year, but in the summer I'd much rather be in England, hot/humid is not my favourite climate at all.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
            X