Newly Diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly Diagnosed

Hello all. I am nearly 45 and peri-menopausal. I have spent the last several days reading the posts here and that has been most educational. I thank all of you! I have experienced mild dry eye for a long time, nothing enough for my eye doctor to be concerned about. I have worn contacts for at least 15 years. Last year about this time, I saw a different eye doctor (due to insurance reasons) who put me in bifocal contact lenses. It has been down hill ever since. I dropped out of contacts about 6 months ago. Over the last month, I have had increasingly severe burning, gritty sensation, photosensitivity and some vision changes. I finally got in to see my regular eye doctor today and was diagnosed with rather severe KCS, tear deficient. I have essentially no tear lake. As I had been self-treating with Thera Tears for about 3 weeks without relief, he started me on Restasis for now, and plans on doing the plugs in three months or so. (Thank goodness my drug plan pays for over half of the cost of this). His goal is to get me back into contacts. I would just be happy to be rid of the burn that is about to drive me insane, and is really limiting my work as I use a computer most of the day. If anyone has found any ointments, tears, or other magic bullets besides good old water (whether drinking it or standing in the rain or the shower) for the terrible burning, I would really appreciate hearing about them. My doctor said that he was doubtful any over the counter product would give me relief from the burning, as bad as my inflammation is. He did give me some Refresh Gel samples, that do quiet the burn for 15 minutes or so. I am to continue the Thera Tears as needed for the gritty feeling (been using 8 times a day). I sure don't want to live the rest of my life feeling like I do today! I bought some wrap around sunglasses that fit over my regular glasses to use until we figure out what I will be doing for vision correction for the long term. I feel like an old lady wearing the darn things, but they actually do help the burn and photosensitivity some. I feel like a wet mole today, living in the dark and damp. Thanks for listening!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Welcome, Kitty!

Boy, you have lots of company here on Dry Eye Zone! Your story sounds fairly typical, if there is such a thing as "typical dry eyes." Some of us are here because we've had refractive surgery induced dry eye and some are here for the same reasons you are.

It all hurts!

feel like an old lady wearing the darn things, but they actually do help the burn and photosensitivity some. I feel like a wet mole today, living in the dark and damp.
    This made me giggle. Most of us have weird things, combinations of things that are pretty funny. If it helps, it's ok to be weird-looking. I have given you the link to DEZ's faq section in case you've not seen it. Your medical problem(s) are being looked after, but finding some comfort would be good, too. You may want to dry the drops on this website. They are called "Dr. Holly's Drops." I've used Dwelle, Dakrina and NutraTear for 4 years, since I've known about them. They have helped many of us, obviously not everybody. It might be worth it to try them. You'll eventually end up buying every kind of drop available just to "try" to get relief. Have you tried some ointment at night, such as Refresh PM? Also Muro ointment can be used at night. Some of us put drops and/or ointment in our eyes at night and then put on a sleep mask. You can buy them in the drugstore for a few bucks. They are silky and hold your eyes gently shut (which keeps moisture in). Restasis is a good idea, although it can take 6 months in some cases to work.

At work, I used to rest my eyes on every break and lunch hour. I'd go to the ladies lounge and shut my eyes. If they hurt alot, I used my icepack. I love the feel of the frozen gelpack over my eyes. I kept one in the office refrigerator for use at work. Many times warm compresses are recommended. You can find details on this website. Also lid massage may help. Keep with your doc since you're having major problems. You need to probably get the dry eyes under control before you decide on your final vision correction, be it contacts or glasses. Don't even think lasik in your case.
    Good luck, Lucy

http://www.dryeyezone.com/faq/index.html
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks so very much, Lucy. I know I am in good company, but it is all kind of frightening, realizing that this is something I will have to manage for the rest of my life! Thank goodness the first two doses of Restasis went without a hitch, they actually felt kind of good. Must have been the oil base. I bought some Refresh PM to try for tonight, anything to decrease the morning dry eye will be worth a shot. I also tried some Systane in the vials today. That seems to feel a bit more soothing than the Thera Tears. I'm rapidly finding that the office is going to be the biggest challenge, with the vents, the lighting and the computer. I sat there today with my sunglasses on. I got some looks but it did help. Being I work at an office 32 hours per week and then work at my home office at least another 25 hours per week, I am very afraid about what impact this will have on my ability to keep working at the pace I have been. The cool gel eye pack sounds so good, I think I will try that. The other thing I find frustrating is how other people don't begin to comprehend the severity of this disorder! I told my boss and a couple of other people and they looked at me like "go buy some Visine or something". Then I kind of filled them in and then they did not know what to say. Thanks much for all of your suggestions.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty, don't be afraid to ask them to shut vents that blow on you. If they won't do that, ask if you can move your desk or go to another workspace.

You can also ask them to lower the lights a bit if it's too much. I had fluorescent lights above my desk at work and I asked they remove the one right above me. It helped quite a bit. Only problem was, the cleaning crew always came in at night and put in another bulb thinking that it was blown. Finally, they put a note in the light casing telling them to "leave" the light alone. Another person I know had them turn off all the lights above her desk and she has a desk lamp instead.

A letter from your doctor will/should help if necessary. You can try the gentle method first and they will most likely accommodate you. This also sends the message that you "do" have problems and you're trying to deal with it.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Welcome Kitty

Hi Kitty and welcome, Im so sorry your suffering, I know its hard. I have had severe dry eye for going on 3 years now, never had trouble either, so its weird and its hard to deal with, not too mention that Dr. G told me I had FK which I was happy to hear that I finally have a "real diagnosis" I really like the Refresh tears too and the Nutra Tear helps, try the warm compresses and hot steam baths at night. I hope that you find some relief and again welcome. Ciao Delilah

Comment

Welcome Kitty

Your story could be mine. Over two years ago, I started having problems with my eyes, but no one could tell me what was wrong. There was a certain grocery store that caused me unbelievable discomfort when I went shopping there and I thought I must be losing my mind. The lighting and air flow made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone. I finally stopped going there. I kept going back to my eye doctor and he could find nothing wrong. He acted like I need a psychiatrist rather than an eye doctor. He never bothered with a tear test. He finally referred me to an opthalmologist/neurologist who did and she couldn't believe he was so neglect in his care. Needless to say, he is gone. But the dry eyes were there to stay. Peri-menopause was the culprit. I went through all the drops, plugs, Restasis, ointments and gels. Nothing helped very much. But taking the information posted on this site and experimenting with it, I have found the things that have made my eyes so much better now. I take 2,000mg of fish/flax etc., oil every morning and evening. My bottom tear ducts are plugged and I started using the drops from the Dry Eye Zone. Those really helped me a lot. I use GenTeal Gel at night. There are still certain situations that cause me trouble, but I have learned to manage and you will too. You came to the right place and will find some great advise here as well as some funny stories and a lot of people who care what you are going through. We can all relate.

Comment

Hi Kitty

Well you sure got that right. It is very hard if not impossible for someone without this condition to comprehend how bad it is. I am fortunate in that I can pretty much make my own schedule at work. If my eyes feel bad inside I just go out and do field work. I have basically closed off all my vents in my office. I drive without heat or ac, I pre-check restaurants for dry eye friendliness. I have had to leave many functions before my eyes got too bad to drive home. well.....you know the routine I'm sure.

Now I pretty much work around my house and at my work....and roam the less toruisty caribbean islands when I can. Good scenery and good humidity for the eyes!......

One thing I found that helps tremendously for me....although short term....is to dip my finger in water or rub it over condensate from an icy beverage. Then I moisten the area immeditely under my eye. Instant releif...but like I said...very short term....but very refreshing....

Well...good luck. It seems like the people here are very genuine and combined posess a wealth of knowledge, trials and tribulations.

Comment

Thank you all so very much! I did order some fish oil today, after having a long chat with a friend who has RA and had mild dry eyes. She understands, as do you, the fear of the unknown, the "what if I can't keep working?", "what if I never get relief from the burn?", what if, what if, what if. I did some looking around my desk area. The vent is purely mine and can be blocked off. The lighting is an issue, as the two lights that bother me are directly over adjacent cubes. For now there is no one in those, so I am going to ask building maintenance if they can remove two bulbs, and possibly change the reflective panels out to non-reflective ones. That is what is driving me crazy and needing to wear sun glasses. I asked my boss to order a glare screen for my puter and that was not a problem. I am also going to push for a secretary for our office, so I am not wasting what few computer hours I can tolerate doing clerical tasks rather those most important to get my work done. The worst they can say is "no". Last option is to ask to work from home full time. I could move into an office that is empty, only it does not have a window and I think I will be even more depressed in there. Should another manager be hired I would have to give that office up. I am trying hard to take this one day at a time, and I will keep a glass of ice water at my desk and try the finger dip . That sounds so soothing! Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                X