Dry eyes or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes or something else?

Hi my name is supreme jackson and im 17 years old (18 in august). Iv been wondering what may be bothering me i have been having problems whit my eyes for 1 year maybe. I use to have red eye but only in one eye. And so i went to the doctor (nurse) who diagnosed me whit dry eyes and suggested that i get some drops for the eyes i bhought visine dry eyes mild.And now i dont know if have dry eyes or not one of my eyes is swollen but i think its becuse of my teeth it got my chin a little swollen to. Like i said i dont know if i have dry eyes when i wake up in the morning my eyes are dry but not red and i put on my wisine and nothing more my eyes feels good for the rest of the day. Now im curious if i have dry eyes or something else my doctor took a test dont know what it`s called but its the one where you put a (carbon?) stick in the lower eye lids and messure the fluid. And my test was extreemly low at one eye ( the one that its swollen and a little better at the left eye). but im confused i only have to put the drops in once a day in the morning and im done only thing i have experince that my eyes are red around the side of the eyes.but not visible for most part. When i go to sleep i feel like my eyes are how shud i put this sticky?. What can this be? Dry eyes or something else im only curious becuse i only have to put drops once a day.BUT if the wind blow extreemly my eyes can get red. Thank you for you time im going at tuesday to get a second opinion from a real doctor insted of a nurse.

/Supreme

Edit : I am using membrasine oil capsules whit omega 3 omega 6 and omega 7 but i have only been using them for 1 week

Welcome Jackson

I've just read your post and it seems that you may be aquiring dry eye, its a good sign you only have to use the drops once a day but with dry eye it can progress like mine has. I now can barely open my eyes in the morning and I have to rush to put drops in just to open them and get them cleared up. It's good to get a second opinion and your doing the right thing by taking the vitamins, many other things can be adding to your problem like, living in a dry state, smoking, allergies and if your taking any other medication that may be contributing to dry eyes. Are you using soap that may have to much perfumes in it, maybe try using a soap that is allergy free and has no fragrance also your laundry detergent can make a huge difference, I use allergy free laundry detergent and soap for sensitive skin w/no fragrance.

Also instead of Visine maybe try an eye drop that is preservative free, also have a humidifier in your room at night while you sleep, about the redness around your eyes I am not sure what that could be, if your eyes are swollen it could be an infection, be sure to wash your hands very good with soap and water and try not to touch your eyes, if you have to touch your eyes make sure you wash your hands really good, bacteria are every where. I hope this was of some help and welcome to the site. Delilah

Comment

Originally posted by Delilah
      I've just read your post and it seems that you may be aquiring dry eye, its a good sign you only have to use the drops once a day but with dry eye it can progress like mine has. I now can barely open my eyes in the morning and I have to rush to put drops in just to open them and get them cleared up. It's good to get a second opinion and your doing the right thing by taking the vitamins, many other things can be adding to your problem like, living in a dry state, smoking, allergies and if your taking any other medication that may be contributing to dry eyes. Are you using soap that may have to much perfumes in it, maybe try using a soap that is allergy free and has no fragrance also your laundry detergent can make a huge difference, I use allergy free laundry detergent and soap for sensitive skin w/no fragrance.

Also instead of Visine maybe try an eye drop that is preservative free, also have a humidifier in your room at night while you sleep, about the redness around your eyes I am not sure what that could be, if your eyes are swollen it could be an infection, be sure to wash your hands very good with soap and water and try not to touch your eyes, if you have to touch your eyes make sure you wash your hands really good, bacteria are every where. I hope this was of some help and welcome to the site. Delilah

Thank you for your reply.What is preservative eye drops? And do it effect my eyes? Well i just got back from the doc and she told me that my right eye is severly dry and my left is somewhat in the middle but she said that can shift as time goes and becuse of that my right eye is swollen. Now i just gotta hope for a cure or better treatment. I feel for you all today i just got severe eye pain in my right eye.And im tryin to quit smoking i hope that helps a bit. not good when your 17 (or any other age) to get dry eyes i just hope there is better treatment before im 60 years old and blind.

I pray for you all

/Supreme

Edit : She also said that i have no complication whatsoever whit my eyes only they were dry (thank god) i dont want anything verse i gotta be really carefull the next years untill a better treatment comes along
      Last edited by Supreme; 28-Mar-2006, 07:32.

Comment

Welcome!

Hi Supreme... and welcome to Dry Eye Talk! Glad you found us, although it's always sad to see young people suffering from dry eye!

You may want to read through some of our "Dry Eye FAQ" for an introduction to what it means to have dry eye and the different kinds of treatment available. Also you might find the Dry Eye Encyclopedia handy for reference.

Originally posted by Supreme
        What is preservative eye drops? And do it effect my eyes?
        There are two types of artificial tears. Either they come in a bottle and contain a preservative, or they come in little single-use vials and have no preservative. There are certain preservatives that are too harsh for eyes that are dry or that have a poor quality tear covering. So, in many cases patients are advised to use only the preservative-free tears. Not all preservatives irritate all eyes, but some do.

my doctor took a test dont know what it`s called but its the one where you put a (carbon?) stick in the lower eye lids and messure the fluid. And my test was extreemly low at one eye
        Sounds like a Schirmer test. They put a sort of strip of paper in and measure how many tears it soaks up.

The swelling sounds a little unusual. What was the explanation for that? Are your upper lids swollen at all?

but im confused i only have to put the drops in once a day in the morning and im done
        Which drop? Usually a prescription drop (Restasis) will be used only once or twice a day, but artificial tears are usually prescribed on an "as needed" basis.

When i go to sleep i feel like my eyes are how shud i put this sticky?. What can this be?
        I understand, that's a common thing that happens to people with dry eye or whose lids don't close all the way when they sleep. If your eyes get very dry at night the lids feel like they are sticking to the surface of the eye by morning. Several things can help with this... Putting in artificial tears or gel at night may. Covering your eyes at night may. Making sure the heat or a/c is not blowing on you at night... etc. Doing warm compresses before bed may help too. And in the morning maybe a warm washcloth to soften things up as if it gets too bad it will really hurt when you open your eyes and may temporarily damage the surface.

if the wind blow extreemly my eyes can get red.
        Common with dry eye too. Basically think of tears as the protective shield on your eye surface. If you don't have a good quality nice thick (well, relatively!) shield of tears (called the tear film or basal tears) covering your eyes, your eyes will be more sensitive and vulnerable to wind, smoke, or irritants of any kind.

Glad you found us, please do keep us posted on your progress! There are several other young people here, esp. college students, going through similar things.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Smoking and Dry Eye

Supreme,
          I wanted to give you just a bit of advice. I am 30 years old and I had started smoking at the age of 17 just like you, your young enough to quit and never look back without trouble if you keep on smoking like I did. Trust me on this one, I was told that the cigarette smoke was one of the main causes to my eye trouble and I ignored it,until this month I quit and this Thursday will be exactly 3 weeks that I have been smoke free It hasn't been easy but I have noticed a HUGE difference with my eyes, they are not as bad as when I smoked, they feel like they are healing.

Some scary things I have found out is that smoking can lead to BLINDNESS!! In some people it can lead to blindness, smoking effects everyone differently, some can smoke until they die and never get cancer or have any trouble, but for others it really takes it's toll on your body, I know that smoking for 10 years finally took its toll on me 3 years ago when all of my eye problems started, it inflammed my Meibomian Glands and I kept on smoking and it made it worse and worse and now Im suffering extremely bad and I am paying the price now, trying to fix my eyes so they can get somewhat back to normal.

I assure you if you quit smoking now you will notice a huge difference, I know it's hard to hear from everyone to quit but I smoked for 10 years 2-packs a day and I quit, so you can do it. If your eyes are showing signs now you should take my advice and quit now before you make them worse by smoking. I have noticed such a difference, they don't burn as much, the mucus isn't coming out as often and my eye sight is even a little better!!! Smoking is a horrible, filthy and deadly habit, take it from a 10 year chain smoker lol, it's better to quit now and I already feel so much better, not just my eyes but my lungs and my skin is even clearing up and I don't smell lol. I don't wheeze when I breathe, Im not winded and food tastes so much better Okay Im done preaching, I just had to try to advise you about smoking because finally I took control and quit and it's been so much better. God Bless Delilah

Comment

Smoke-free for 5 1/2 months here. I started dabbling with cigarettes when I was 13. I have smoked for many, many years - never mind how many. I had my last cigarette when I was on the phone with Delilah way back in October. I'm proud of you Delilah!! You too, Supreme . Some of us just take to smoking like ducks take to water and no matter how long you've smoked, it's still hard to quit.

I don't think about it anymore. I wasn't free from cravings for about three months.
            Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Sounds like a Schirmer test. They put a sort of strip of paper in and measure how many tears it soaks up.
              The swelling sounds a little unusual. What was the explanation for that? Are your upper lids swollen at all?
              My whole right eye including the upper lids are swollen and it seems blood is gathering around it since i got a black half circle around it dident have this before and it feels weird. The doc said my eye was defending it self and if i use the drops the swelling shud clear out in 3 days i have used the drops for 2 weeks and its still swollen and no signt of improvement.And my eye pain is around the eye not in it mostly on the right of the right eye.

Which drop? Usually a prescription drop (Restasis) will be used only once or twice a day, but artificial tears are usually prescribed on an "as needed" basis.
              I use visine eye drops. I wish i could use Restasis but i cant since i live in the UK.

Thank you Cindy and Delilah im trying to but its hard i bhought nicotine patches and i hope that helps.

Well i feel its getting vorse my eyes are getting more red late at the day so i have to sleep 7-8 hours after i woke up becuse of the pain in my right eye. And im sure its gonna kill my social life its embarrasing when your out whit friends and your eyes get red its not fun to see a 6-4 foot mulatto man whit red eyes people stare at you and think your a crackhead.My family has been very supportive thats good.At night I hold my rosaries And hope to get by close my eyes and ask god why he choose this for me I feel like its a curse. Yesterday i had to light a candle at church to manage the hurt. But i guess people got it worse its not eazy when your 17.

/Supreme

Edit the last i wrote rhymes sort of
              Last edited by Supreme; 29-Mar-2006, 06:47.

Comment

I use visine eye drops. I wish i could use Restasis but i cant since i live in the UK.
                Visine is a VERY, VERY harsh eyedrop. You need to get off this eyedrop and use a preservative-free drop. Restasis and artificial tears are two different things; no matter where you live, you should be able to find a better artificial tear than Visine.

Comment

What kind of Visine are you using - can you give us the info from the label? (SHJ, fyi there are several types - even Visine makes preservative free tears these days, believe it or not.)
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                    What kind of Visine are you using - can you give us the info from the label? (SHJ, fyi there are several types - even Visine makes preservative free tears these days, believe it or not.)
                    My bad - I just stay away from the Visine shelf at the drugstore altogether, so I never noticed they make preservative free tears!

Comment

Restasis in the UK

Supreme I wanted to let you know that Restasis in the UK is called Cyclosporine, it's the same thing we just named it Restasis. Restasis isn't always the answer and takes months to even show signs of working but I really advise you to get some preservative free eye drops, just go to your local pharmacy or store and ask them to help you find, "preservative-free" eye drops. I get mine in little single tubes, about 70 tubes in a box for about 15 dollars, Im not sure what that is in pounds lol?

I know your very upset, especially where you only 17, it's hard to deal with and my eye problems have effected my social life, I've had this problem now going on 4 years, I can't do the same things I use to because of my eyes. The Visine is only getting rid of the red in your eyes but it's not helping with the problem, it's adding to the problem, if you start with a preservative free eye drop and throw that Visine away you will notice a difference, trust me.

Visine is going to ruin your eyes even more. I suggest you write down on paper some things you should be doing that many of us have told you and actually do them and try them to see if they work, I know your miserable and I am very sorry, but your not going to get anywhere if your not trying other things to help your eyes.

Okay now get a piece of paper and write these instructions down okay, try them for one week to see how many of them work and if you notice improvement. 1. Warm Compresses (hot wash cloth over your eyes for 5 to 10 minutes) this helps get the natural oils in your eyes flowing. Don't put it so hot you can't take it lol. Do this as much as you need to during the day and night, also before you go to bed. 2. Humidifier in your room at night, use DISTILLED WATER!!! Humidifier will really help you trust me on this one my friend. 3. Buy preservative free eye drops 4. Hot steaming showers helps your eyes or even sitting in a Sauna somewhere 5. Try to quit smoking, you will notice a huge difference.

I hope some of these help you and you at least try them. Also Cindy it's great to hear from you and I am so proud of you that you haven't smoked since October!! It's been very hard for me but I feel much better. My eyes are doing a little better but the mucus strings are still coming out, not as much as before but still there, I am on NAC drops from a compounding pharmacy and Restasis, I still can't open my eyes in the morning, they are so dry I have to run to the bathroom to put drops in just to open them, still taking the Fish Oil. Im hoping that not smoking will help more and hoping that by this summer my eyes will be somewhat better. I haven't gave up, thanks everyone and I hope all of you have a great weekend. Ciao Delilah

Comment

Supreme

I also wanted to know if the eye doctor said you had an infection in your eyes? Did they tell you why your eyes were red and swollen? If you haven't seen an eye doctor for this problem it could be that your eyes are swollen because of an infection. Also have you had allergy tests done? Im very sorry this came upon you, it may be that something is irratating your eyes and if you stop using it, it will stop? That is why I asked about soaps and laundry detergent before. Did you get a new pet in the house? Some people have pet allergies, if you haven't seen a doctor for allergies I advise you to do so and let me know what the doctor said about the swollen redness in your eyes, sounds like an infection, or it could be a horrible reaction to that Visine, many on this site you will find are not fond of Visine Anyway's try to have a good weekend and keep your chin up, in the mean time buy a humidifier for your room. Ciao Delilah

Comment

Originally posted by southhavenjen
                          Visine is a VERY, VERY harsh eyedrop. You need to get off this eyedrop and use a preservative-free drop. Restasis and artificial tears are two different things; no matter where you live, you should be able to find a better artificial tear than Visine.
                          I went and bought Bion Tears i hope there is a change.

Dont know it says on the label Visine geldrops for moderate-severe dry eye`s

Supreme I wanted to let you know that Restasis in the UK is called Cyclosporine, it's the same thing we just named it Restasis. Restasis isn't always the answer and takes months to even show signs of working but I really advise you to get some preservative free eye drops, just go to your local pharmacy or store and ask them to help you find, "preservative-free" eye drops. I get mine in little single tubes, about 70 tubes in a box for about 15 dollars, Im not sure what that is in pounds lol?

I know your very upset, especially where you only 17, it's hard to deal with and my eye problems have effected my social life, I've had this problem now going on 4 years, I can't do the same things I use to because of my eyes. The Visine is only getting rid of the red in your eyes but it's not helping with the problem, it's adding to the problem, if you start with a preservative free eye drop and throw that Visine away you will notice a difference, trust me.

Visine is going to ruin your eyes even more. I suggest you write down on paper some things you should be doing that many of us have told you and actually do them and try them to see if they work, I know your miserable and I am very sorry, but your not going to get anywhere if your not trying other things to help your eyes.

Okay now get a piece of paper and write these instructions down okay, try them for one week to see how many of them work and if you notice improvement. 1. Warm Compresses (hot wash cloth over your eyes for 5 to 10 minutes) this helps get the natural oils in your eyes flowing. Don't put it so hot you can't take it lol. Do this as much as you need to during the day and night, also before you go to bed. 2. Humidifier in your room at night, use DISTILLED WATER!!! Humidifier will really help you trust me on this one my friend. 3. Buy preservative free eye drops 4. Hot steaming showers helps your eyes or even sitting in a Sauna somewhere 5. Try to quit smoking, you will notice a huge difference.

I hope some of these help you and you at least try them. Also Cindy it's great to hear from you and I am so proud of you that you haven't smoked since October!! It's been very hard for me but I feel much better. My eyes are doing a little better but the mucus strings are still coming out, not as much as before but still there, I am on NAC drops from a compounding pharmacy and Restasis, I still can't open my eyes in the morning, they are so dry I have to run to the bathroom to put drops in just to open them, still taking the Fish Oil. Im hoping that not smoking will help more and hoping that by this summer my eyes will be somewhat better. I haven't gave up, thanks everyone and I hope all of you have a great weekend. Ciao Delilah
                          i wrote it down . The warm Compresses makes me feel better. I hope you get better and recover.
                          Its hard but it can be done i read some articles about acupuncture? have you tryed it? or anyone else? I read somewere on the net cant find the article now.That some guy went to a acupunctureist and got alot better. I will try it in the future my kindneys always seems to hurt but i am not on any medication/drugs/alcohol and never have been. Im sure there will be a better medication in 5-6 years and this hopefully will be all forgotten the agony and the pain its turning into a billion dollar industry so atleast more doctors will study it.

I also wanted to know if the eye doctor said you had an infection in your eyes? Did they tell you why your eyes were red and swollen? If you haven't seen an eye doctor for this problem it could be that your eyes are swollen because of an infection. Also have you had allergy tests done? Im very sorry this came upon you, it may be that something is irratating your eyes and if you stop using it, it will stop? That is why I asked about soaps and laundry detergent before. Did you get a new pet in the house? Some people have pet allergies, if you haven't seen a doctor for allergies I advise you to do so and let me know what the doctor said about the swollen redness in your eyes, sounds like an infection, or it could be a horrible reaction to that Visine, many on this site you will find are not fond of Visine Anyway's try to have a good weekend and keep your chin up, in the mean time buy a humidifier for your room. Ciao Delilah
                          Well he looked at my eye whit a dont know what its called but its like a huge microscope. Then he put in some yellow fluid in my eyes that will turn my eyes yellow . And that was it i never really got a concrete answer from him but he said that my eyes were fine on the outside and i dident have any complication or scratches whatsoever. But i feel like my right eye isent getting better and something is blocking it. The explanation for the swollen eye was that the eye was "defending" it self and if i keep using artificial tears the swelling will go down but it hasent . Im thinking of taking a trip to russia and china for some relif/and or some chinese/russian herbal medicine. I thought to my self chinese medicine has existed for 5000 years and some thousand of years before western so something have they done right. In the chinese philosophy dry eyes has to do whit the liver and my liver hurts so i guess its worth a shot.Well have a nice weekend all i bought a 10 times Sauna card so i will be spending most of my weekend there

/Supreme
                          Last edited by Supreme; 31-Mar-2006, 04:38.

Comment

Supreme, I noticed you said your teeth and chin were affected also. I have heard that problems with your teeth/jaw can cause all sorts of eye problems. Perhaps you should make an appointment with your dentist?

Comment

Originally posted by jcorbett
                              Supreme, I noticed you said your teeth and chin were affected also. I have heard that problems with your teeth/jaw can cause all sorts of eye problems. Perhaps you should make an appointment with your dentist?

I pray to god thats the case but i doubt it since its only one side of my face the right side. Im getting a roothcanal in april It would be such a relif if thats the case but maybe thats the source of my pain and swollen right eye. But i never heard of that i hope thats the case thanks for pointing this out to me.

/Supreme
                              Last edited by Supreme; 30-Mar-2006, 06:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X