New member in Atlanta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Atlanta

Hi, Everyone! I'm new to the forum, and have been a silent "lurker" for some time. I must say that I admire each and every one of you for forging ahead and fighting the battle. We WILL get through this. So, a little about my DES:

First diagnosed in 2008. No doctors took it all that seriously. Tear quality is ok, but tear volume is among lowest they've seen for a relatively young person (32). Tried restasis, artificial tears, steroid drops, fish oil, vitamin A. Nothing worked. EVERY drop, preservative free or not, burns and causes redness, so I've given up completely on drops.

Fast forward to today. Not to be Debbie Downer, but it has progressively gotten worse since then. I have 6-month plugs on the bottom, but sadly, no plugs could fit in the top ducts (I have abnormally small ducts--"petite," like myself, I suppose). So next week, the tops are getting cauterized. I pray that this helps.

As you all are too familiar, we have jobs, we have social lives, and this condition will change everything.

I'd be happy to hear anyone's experience with cautery. Doc gave anti-inflammatory drops for two weeks, but they make the burning and redness worse, so I can't use them. He said something about "backup inflammation." What IS that??

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to meeting each and every one of you.

-No tears in Atlanta

Hello Again!

I just want to say hi. How is everything? Have you got any new treatment that help?

After I stop Restasis, I have been using the Refresh No Preservative for about 5-6 months. It has been a big help for me to get through the day without feeling dry eye. I use one drop in the morning and one drop before bedtime.

I noticed more red veins in the eyes, which bothering me more. It's really make me self awareness when having conversation with other people.

Comment

Hi iredeye,

Nothing much new here. I am on doxycycline 20 mg, take krill and seabuckthorn oil. I suppose improvement has been marginal, but I think it all boils down to environment. This past winter down here was brutal, with the dry heat blasting in my office building, so no options of moving up north any time soon. Drops are still not an option and make things worse. Don't think I'll ever get used to them.

How are you? Drop me a PM sometime if you like--nice to hear from someone in the area!

Comment

Working...
      X