Blepharitis for 3 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blepharitis for 3 years

I've had Blepharitis for 3 years. I've through to 4 Opthamologists and more than a half-dozen treatments from steroids to antibiotics or combos of both. Nothing has worked. Just ordered Mario Tedesku Control Cream based on reviews on this site. I'll let you know. Wish me luck! I recently retired & I have two grandchildren to enjoy!

Just received Mario Badesco Control Cream via FEDEX (fast delivery...it seems I just ordered it). I used it on the lower & upper margins of my eyelids and I am waiting to see what happens. I couldn't help getting some of it in my eyes....not sure if that's a problem. No discomfort so far from the cream. I'm hoping for a miracle after the 3 years of misery that I've been through with this horrible Blepharitis. I'll keep you posted. BTW...is anyone aware of any issues getting "Mario Badescu" Control Cream IN their eyes?

Comment

Massaged Mario Badescu Control Cream (MBCC) onto eye margins 3 times yesterday; the last at bedtime. It's not possible to do this without getting some of the cream INTO your eyes but it doesn't sting. So far, it seems to help but I can't be sure yet. It's hard to tell, since there's no discernable pattern as to when / where my discomfort will occur. I also do not understand why going for a drive almost immediately brings on the discomfort...even if my eyes were feeling good BEFORE getting into my car. Has anyone else noticed this? Well, my eyes are feeling somewhat ok this morning. I won't be able to tell for sure until I get out of bed and take my shower (writing this on my iPad). Still hoping for that miracle...I'll continue to keep you informed of my progress or lack there of. I would appreciate any additional stories of positive results with MBCC. I'm also excited after reading about the 'Lipiflow' treatment on this forum. I'm going to research local avaitlability for New Jersey. Thanks to those on this forum for giving me hope. I kind of thought that I was the only one out there with this 'curse'. I wasn't aware that it was so common. This forum is a Godsend! Kindest regards to all!

Comment

Occam's Razor

Occam's Razor...it's interesting how often the simplest solution is so often the correct one. My eyes became "gritty" feeling about mid-morning. My wife suggested that I try her magnified mirror for a better view of what might be contributing to the "grittiness". I looked closely into the mirror and blinked my eyes tightly several times, which caused them to water. After blinking, I noticed several flat, white particles on the surface of my left eye. Wow...could those particles be the cause of that "gritty" feeling? Could it really be that simple? My top lids were always more swollen that my bottom lids. Then I rememberd one of the posters on DEZ discussing how they would lie back and then tilt their head back even further. Then they would lift their upper eyelid away from their eye forming a pouch and then "flood" the pouch with "Refresh Sensitive Preservation Free Eye Drops". I didn't have "Refresh" on hand so I used "Soothe". My wife thouroughly washed her hands and then performed the same flooding of each of my upper eyelids. When I say flooding, I mean flooding. I told her to use the whole bottle to make sure that any and all particles between my lid and eye would be washed away. When she was done, I blinked my eyes a few times and almost immediately the grittiness was gone...and it stayed gone for hours! Again...could it be that simple? I don't for a moment believe that this "flooding" technique is going to cure my Blepharitis but if it relieves that gritty feeling for several hours at a time than that's certainly a step in the right direction. I went out and purchased a box of the "Refresh Sensitive Preservation Free Eye Drops" and I plan on using this flooding technique whenever I get that gritty feeling...one step at a time! BTW, since this flooding technique worked out so well, I did not use the Mario Badescu Control Cream today. I'm going to see how this works out first and then maybe go back to MB. I'll let you all know how this flooding technique work out as I progress with it.

Comment

Upper Lid "Flooding" Technique

I performed the "flooding" of my upper eyelids (between the lid and eyeball) again first thing this morning using 'Refresh PF' ('single use vial' for each eye). Please review my 'Occdam's Razor' post above. This worked again to alleviate that 'gritty' feeling that I almost always have upon awakening. Because of the exdcellent results from this technique, I plan on sticking to this routine each morning and throughout the day whenever I experience grittiness. Please reply if you've found this technique to be effective for you.

Comment

still using flooding technique two or three times a day (see my previous posts). significant positive difference in my daily comfort level. question...i purchased refresh preservitive free sensitive eyes, yesterday, i noticed a refresh optive PF, the one mentioned on this site for the "flooding" technique. is there a difference? if so, what?

Comment

Hi rppnj,
              I posted awhile back on flushing the eyeball well with PF drops. Yes, there is a difference between Optive and the Refresh Sensitive. The Optive is thicker but not as thick as the Celluvisc drop. I use the thinner one (Refresh) to rinse my eye well and then if I need additional lubrication I use Optive or if I am really dry I use the Celluvisc.

Hope that helps and glad the flooding works for you!!!

Comment

Thanks, abbygirl!

Hi abbygirl,
                I was hoping that you would reply. I've read so many posts on DEZ that I could not remember who posted the information regarding upper eyelid "flooding" with Refresh PF. I was awaiting a reply from you so that I could thank you for making such a difference in my comfort level. One of the worst symptoms of Blepharitis/Dry Eye is that "gritty/something in the eye feeling". When that would happen (almost daily), I knew that I was going to have a miserable day. Now, by using your method I am able to, for the most part, alleviate my worst symptom. My best days are when I get a good nights sleep...that, combined with your "flooding" technique (I didn't know what else to call it) almost guarantees a good day for me. This is the best I've felt in three years and I owe it all to you. I can't thank you enough!
                Kindest regards,
                rppnj

Comment

Hi rppnj,
                  I am so happy for you and I feel so great that I could help you!! It is nice to give back to a forum something that has given so much to me!!

Thank-you for the "thanks"...you made my day!!

Comment

I have been diagnosed with anterior blepharitis and dry eye. I have also got glaucoma and using drops every day. I am not coping at all with bleharitis and doing all the things my consultant has told me but nothing is working. My eyes are so sore, burning, stinging and blurred vision. I feel I have an allergy to all the cleansing things I am using and the heat pads seem to dry my eyes even more. It has been a month now and I understand I cannot cure it but all I want is to keep it under control so I have a life again. I don't know what to do!!

Comment

Hi Karjade,
                      I've had Blepharitis for three years. I've followed directions for all medications and suggestions religiously from all 4 Ophthalmologists that I've been to...nothing has helped. My symptoms became so uncomfortable that I dreaded leaving the house and my wife and I began turning down social invitations due to my discomfort...it was easier to just stay home. Then I came across the DEZ web site and began reading the many suggestions posted by its membership. I began taking notes, which I then went over in detail, choosing the ones I felt might be helpful to me. Then through trial & error, I found what worked best for me as follows:
                      1.) A good nights sleep! The most "symptom free" days I've had always occurred after a good night's sleep!
                      2.) The "Flushing Technique" as outlined in my "Occam's Razor post above.
                      3.) Only use drops (I like Refresh Sensitive Preservative Free) when you absolutely have to.
                      4.) Microwave heat-packs help liquify the oil clogging clogging my tear ducts...just don't 'over-do' the use of them.
                      5.) Resist rubbing your eyes...just leave them alone! This is difficult but important...you will only irritate them further and may cause an infection.
                      6.) My allergies make my symptoms worse. We now use "paraben free" shampoo and hypoallergenic soaps and laundry detergents.
                      7.) We replaced our 'down pillows' with hypoallergenic ones; purchased a hepa-filter vacuum & will replace our wall-to-wall carpets with wood floors.
                      8.) During the worst allergen days, I stay indoors in air conditioning...we now use 3M Ultra Allergen Furnace Filters.

So far, this regimen seems to be helping...my symptoms are much less severe. You may want to try some of these suggestions...experiment until you find the right regimen for you.

I wish you the best, Karjade,
                      rppnj

Comment

Thank you rppnj. I am probably overdoing everything because I just want it to go away! I cannot accept the fact that it cannot be cured and I cannot envisage living with it for the rest of my life. My consultant said it will be about six months to get it under control but as yet it is not much better - I phoned her secretary and she said I am expecting too much too soon. Have you got anterior blepharitis? This is supposed to be the worst kind and harder to get better. I will read all your comments and study them and other people's suggestions. Thank you for your help.

Karjade

Comment

Originally posted by Karjade View Post
                          Thank you rppnj. I am probably overdoing everything because I just want it to go away! I cannot accept the fact that it cannot be cured and I cannot envisage living with it for the rest of my life. My consultant said it will be about six months to get it under control but as yet it is not much better - I phoned her secretary and she said I am expecting too much too soon. Have you got anterior blepharitis? This is supposed to be the worst kind and harder to get better. I will read all your comments and study them and other people's suggestions. Thank you for your help.

Karjade
                          Hi Karjade, I have also been diagnosed with anterior blepharitis. I'm finding that the more I just leave my eyes alone, the less symptomatic they become. It's difficult to do but I found that by not 'overdoing it' with the drops, cleansing, rubbing, etc., I'm allowing my eye 'chemistry' to self-regulate itself and return to normal. As I continue to follow this course of action, I'll continue to post my progress on DEZ. Experiment...you know yourself what's working and what isn't far better than anyone. Trust your instincts!
                          Kindest regards,
                          rppnj

Comment

Hi rppnj, I have posterior blepharitis which is blocking of the glands in the eyelids. I cleanse the eyes, put heat pads on them for ten minutes and then put dry eye drops in. I do this 2/3 times a day - do you think this is too much? I am scared not to put the heat pads on because the glands will not unblock - I am not so sure about the cleansing as the cleansing wipes make my eyes sore and they are preservative free. I also use dry eye drops during the day - I feel I use these too much. I get good times and not so good times - I am trying not to get anxious over this but it is difficult. I will definitely follow your progress and thank you.

Karjade

Comment

Originally posted by Karjade View Post
                              Hi rppnj, I have posterior blepharitis which is blocking of the glands in the eyelids. I cleanse the eyes, put heat pads on them for ten minutes and then put dry eye drops in. I do this 2/3 times a day - do you think this is too much? I am scared not to put the heat pads on because the glands will not unblock - I am not so sure about the cleansing as the cleansing wipes make my eyes sore and they are preservative free. I also use dry eye drops during the day - I feel I use these too much. I get good times and not so good times - I am trying not to get anxious over this but it is difficult. I will definitely follow your progress and thank you.

Karjade
                              Hi Karjade, I was told that my blepharitis (Anterior Blepharitis?) involves the 'edges' of my upper & lower lids, where the lashes are located. I still use the warm compresses and the Refresh PF drops as outlined in my previous posts...but now, I only use these 'remedies' when I experience symptoms. By 'leaving your eyes alone', I mean that when my eyes are feeling ok, I do not disturb them. Typically, even when my eyes felt ok, I still used the warm compresses, lid scrubs and drops. Sometimes, the remedies themselves caused irritation & symptoms. Have you checked into allergies? Sometimes my eyes feel ok in the house (though not always the case) in the air conditioning but as soon as I go outside or for a drive, my symptoms return. When I'm at the beach (I live on the New Jersey Shore) my eyes also seem better...that's why I believe that an allergy might be the 'trigger'. My eyes were actually starting to improve early Spring but as soon as I began to notice green tree pollen appearing on the cars, my symptoms became severe again. Have you been checked for allergies? Please don't give up, Karjade...little by little my eyes are improving as I try / tweak the various techniques that I've been describing. I hope that my responses have been helpful to you.
                              Kindest regards,
                              rppnj

Comment

Working...
                              X