restasis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• restasis

my doctor said that since restasis is very expensive i can simply cover the vial with a cup that it is good for 24 hours to make a 1 month supply last 2 months. He said the idea is to keep the tip clean and that i will be fine. I have noticed however that the directions say only 12 hours. Does anyone know if what he told me is true?

My eye doc also said a vial can stretch for 24 hours. Without preservative, anything longer than that would be a great risk for contamination. Please do not touch the tip of the open vial to anything or it will become contaminated, and could result in infection.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

restasis

Keep the restasis in the refrigerator. I keep a restasis box in a tray and slip the end of the vial into the box so that the tip does not touch anything. I don't know about "regrigerator germs." The restasis has never smelled like onions so I guess it's okay.

fernellen

Comment

I personally would not keep Restasis in the refrigerator. The package says to store it at a higher temperature than that.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Restasis storage

I have been advised by a reputable Ph.d who knows a boat-load about dry eye not to store Restasis in the fridge--it can become unstable. I keep it at room temperature (as long as it's not too hot) and use the same vial two or three times before discarding it. I've never had a problem, and have been using Restasis for a good three years now--that's been my experience.

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the info. It's out of the fridge and into a more moderate temperature.

fernellen

Comment

I too have been on Restasis for three plus years now. I keep the vial in a shot glass in the bathroom on the counter. I can get two or three uses out of a vial as well and have never expirienced any problems either.

Jeff

Comment

Holder for Restasis

My ophthalmologist gave me a cute little blue plastic stand-up device made especially for holding a single use vial. It's pretty neat--not sure what company makes them--could be Allergan. I'll try and find out at my next visit in September.

Comment

My ophthalmologist gave me a cute little blue plastic stand-up device made especially for holding a single use vial. It's pretty neat--not sure what company makes them--could be Allergan. I'll try and find out at my next visit in September.
                  I'm glad you mentioned this. I have two of them and use them for any single vial drops I use. I believe I have two from the (both) times I tried Restasis. People, ask your doctor for one of these. They are very handy. Maybe he can ask the company rep for a supply of these. I've had mine for a long time.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

extended storage and temperature

The out of the refrigerator space was not working well (I have pets that shed and I rarely turn on the air conditioner in the summer or the heat in the winter) so I phoned the company and asked for the temperatures at which restasis could be stored. The rep said 42 degrees for 12 months and up to 103 degrees for six months. I tested various parts of the refrigerator and found that my veggie crisper stays at about 49 degrees. The temperature in the house fluxuates between 85 degrees in the summer and 65 degrees in the winter. Crisper has become the medicine chest. Veggies go somewhere else.

fernellen

Comment

Originally posted by mspirk
                      I have been advised by a reputable Ph.d who knows a boat-load about dry eye not to store Restasis in the fridge--it can become unstable. I keep it at room temperature (as long as it's not too hot) and use the same vial two or three times before discarding it. I've never had a problem, and have been using Restasis for a good three years now--that's been my experience.
                      Hi - I assume you feel it works well for you if you've been on it for 3+ years?

Comment

So is the verdict you should or shouldnt keep it in the fridge? ive been doing this!!
                        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I suppose it would depend upon the temperature of the fridge! Read the package insert for the Restasis, it will give you the temp. range in which it can be stored.

Comment

Working...
                          X