Swollen eylid blepharitis stye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swollen eylid blepharitis stye

I'd like to express my appreciation for this forum. It gives me hope that I can one day overcome this problem and it lets me know that I'm not alone with it.

I have suffered with what seems to be blepharitis for about 2 years now, since January 2011. It keeps coming back even worse than the time before. Right now my left upper eyelid is red and super swollen, worse than it ever was before. My lower right eyelid also is swollen with two chalazion bumps. Recently a culture test showed gram negative bacilli. I would like to list everything I have tried now and in the past from most effective to least effective. Maybe there is something I am missing:

Kenalog steroid injection into the eyelid - Most effective. Leaves a bruise and is very painful but it brings the swelling down quickly. But it is not a long term solution and the stye keeps coming back. Also my ophthalmologist refuses to do it on my lower eyelids because he believes they won’t respond to it. And he doesn’t want to do it to my upper left eyelid right now because it is so swollen.

Colloidal Silver – Seemed to work for about 3 months. But now it doesn’t seem to work at all.

Tobradex eye drops – May have worked a little after 3 weeks, but not a long term solution because it is a steroid and antibiotic. (May also have resulted in chronic diarrhea and weight loss that has lasted for many months)

Erythromycin ophthalmic ointment – May have worked a little after 3 weeks, but not a long term solution because it is an antibiotic and the infection comes back. .Also the goo and blurriness never fade when I use ointments until I wipe them away. (May also have resulted in chronic diarrhea and weight loss that has lasted for many months)

VSL #3 Probiotic – May have worked after a few weeks. But infection still returned.

Ultimate Flora Advanced Immunity Probiotics – May have worked after a few weeks. But infection still returned.

Fish oil – May have helped at first but not recently

Ocusoft lid scrubs – May have worked a little after 3 weeks, but bumps in eyelid still returned.

Cephalexin 500MG (Keflex) – May have worked a little 6 months ago. But is not working for bad swelling 6 months later.

Coconut oil – May have worked a little on my upper right eyelid, but did not work at all on my upper left eyelid that is super swollen.

Milk in eye – After 10 minutes when the milky cloudiness went away it seemed to make my vision a little less blurry in the left eye. But still swollen eyelid remains.

Warm Compress – Does not work at all

Ocusoft Lid Scrub Plus – Does not work at all

Baby Shampoo – Does not work at all

Doxycycline Hyclate 50MG antibiotic – Did not work. 30 days later still had to get kenalog steroid injection.

Blephamide Eye Ointment – Did not work. 20 days later had to get kenalog steroid injection.

Ciloxan .3% Ointment 4GM – Did not work. Very gooey and blurry. Very expensive.

Manuka Honey on eyelid – Did not work. May have made it worse.

Manuka Honey as food – Did not work.

Warm salt water rinse – Does not work

SteriLid – Does not work

Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) in eye – Did not work

Teaspoon of ACV orally a day – Not working yet

Tea Tree Oil
    – Did not work. Possibly made it worse.

Bausch & Lomb Eye Wash with Boric Acid – Does not work. Possibly irritated skin.

Oatmeal paste on eyelid – Did not work. Seems to be when second upper eyelid (right eye) got infected.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi there and welcome.

Wow, you sure have worked hard at this.

I see a lot about treatments but not much about diagnostics. Can you share anything more about what your doctor(s) have told you about this in the course of these past 2 years?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca. My ophthalmologist basically says things like reoccurring chalazions and blepharitis. He has said conjunctivitis in the past. But i don't really have the pink eye so he doesn't really say that anymore.

Right now my upper left eyelid is swollen very much with a lump. It has been swollen very bad for a month now and it seems to keep getting worse.

Comment

Hi Jeff: I sent you a private message. You can find it under 'notifications' in the menu on the top right....cheers...F/G

Comment

Hi Farmgirl,

Sorry, I didn't get any private messages.

Comment

I tried again, did you get it Jeff?

Comment

Yes, I got your message this time. Thanks.

Comment

I have been looking at the timeline of my eyelid infection and I was trying to figure out what is different between the times that I don’t have a bad eyelid infection and the times that I do and I have to keep going to the eye doctor. So I think I have come up with a pretty good theory. But I would like to run it by you guys and see what you think.

Here is a timeline of my eye infection, eye doctor visits and prescriptions.

1/02/2011
                Bumps and redness started on my left upper eyelid

1/13/2011 Went to MD
                Optivar (Made my eyes blurry and worse)

2/02/2011 First visit to Ophthalmologist
                Ocusoft Lid Scrub
                Tobramycin-Dexameth (Tobradex) Drops
                2/09/2011 Checkup
                Still bad eye lid lump
                Erythromycin Ophth Ointment
                5/25/2011
                Now my right upper eyelid is getting red bumps

10/17/2011
                Left upper eyelid swelling up

11/11/2011 Eye Exam
                Tobradex Drops
                11/29/2011 Eye Exam
                Doxycycline Hyclate 50MG
                12/08/2011 Eye Exam
                Blephamide Eye Ointment
                12/20/11 Eye Exam
                Inject/treat left upper eyelid w/ medication (kenalog)
                1/06/2012 Eye Exam
                Right upper eyelid getting bigger and lower right eyelid getting bumps
                1/20/2012 Eye Exam
                Tried lancing (draining) bottom eyelid
                3/08/2012 Eye Exam
                Inject/treat right upper eyelid w/ medication (kenalog)
                4/06/2012 Eye Exam
                Bottom right eyelid still has bumps
                Cephalexin 500MG Caps (Generic for Keflex)

9/02/12
                Upper left eyelid swelling and turning red

10/25/2012 Eye Exam
                Super huge, red, painful stye in upper left eyelid
                Two Chalazion, painful, red bumps in lower right eyelid
                Dr. Ray took a culture of eyelids that I put in at Quest
                Steridlid samples
                Cephalexin 500MG Caps (Generic for Keflex)
                Ciloxan .3% Ointment 4GM
                11/1/2012
                Infection is also in upper right eyelid now. Dr. Ray says left eyelid is so swollen that he can’t see where to inject steroid. On the right upper and lower eyelid he used needle to unplug ducts.
                Quest culture result: gram negative bacilli
                Doxycycline Hyclate 50MG

So if you look closely at my timeline above, my eyelid infections are really bad during the fall, winter and spring months. Then during summer vacation my eyelid infection goes down enough so that I don’t have to visit the eye doctor. My sister works as a teacher’s aid at a school for challenged children. Her vacation is from June to late August, right during the time period that my eyelid problems go down. So my theory is that none of the medications work on my eyelids during the school months because I am constantly being reinfected at home with the bacteria because my sister is bringing it home every day from school.

What do you think?

Comment

do you know anyone who has been on dexamethazone? How does it work to keep inflammation down?
                  Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                  Hi there and welcome.

Wow, you sure have worked hard at this.

I see a lot about treatments but not much about diagnostics. Can you share anything more about what your doctor(s) have told you about this in the course of these past 2 years?

Comment

Working...
                  X