• Lasik, dry eyes and computer vision problems

Hi

I am Naveen from Mumbai. Had a lasik operation in 2001. All was well
    till 2007 December then
    eyes started burning, Since 2009 suffering from serious CVS computer
    related syndromme.
    Tried everything in the books or mentioned you know
    20-20-20 every twenty minutes took twenty seconds break blinked 20
    times, hot scrubs. Gunnar eye specs, omega 3, eye exercises.
    Cyclosporine, artifical drops
    Visted 5 doctors somehow Indian doctors in India are not equipped to
    treat dry eye patients.

Need to consult with others with similar problem and what was done

I had a job where i used to work for 8 hours on computers.

Now i have lost it so i need to get myself cured before i start a new job.

I am only 32 years old

Regards

Hi Naveen,

So sorry to hear what you're struggling with. We have a lot of young people in the forum who can relate. Sometimes the forum gets really busy so don't be discouraged if you don't get replies right away Per our discussion on email - I really do think that some better protective eyewear would be the fastest way to get more comfortable working on a computer again.

What have those doctors said about diagnostics... have they given you any clues to how your lacrimal or meibomian functions are doing?

Of the things you've tried so far is there anything that seems to help, either temporarily making you feel better, or making your eyes look better to the doctors the next time you visit?

So sorry about your job.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Dear Rebecca

The doctors do not mention anything. The just do the normal test and say you have 20/20 vision. All the doctors that i have visited just give refresh tears eye drop and say use it whenever you do not feel comfortable working on the computer. I tried using those drops but it just does not work. Going again to the same doctor they say you have sinus or some other problem and nothing to do with dry eyes. I told them that my main problem is i cannot work on a computer for long but they just refuse to listen. Somehow i feel the doctors always downplay dry eyes here in Mumbai. I think when ever my vision goes bad when i do not use a computer at home i do hot scrubs and it is fine. In office you cannot do scrubs and i tried once but again after half an hour i am uncomfortable working on the computer. My other colleague who had done lasik too had similar problems good for him as he left the job and joined his fathers company. I do not have such an option as a result of which my promising career is in doldrums.
      I had a high flying career before i had this problem all my friends are doing pretty good in life bearing me. I cannot even tell them this problem because do not understand it.
      They make fun of me saying i have become lazy and i do not want to work. Some how i managed to work with dry eyes since 2009 but then in 2012 our department shut down and they were moving me to another department which involved working for even more hours in computer. so i had no option but to leave.

Regards
      Naveen

Comment

Hi Naveen
        So sorry for what you are going through. I find myself in the same place like you are right now accept that I got severe dry eyes immediately after lasik. I too had a good career in a bank as a back office officer but now I work only part time due to my dry eyes. Like you I cannot recognize myself I'm half the potential I used to be....The consequences and risks of this Lasik procedure are so bad that no one understands them except for those ones that had Lasik themselves.
        It is useless to just activate on boards like this we have to find solutions to let the others know the truth about Lasik surgery. I was shocked to find out twerhat your colleague has the same problems with dryness as we all have here..... shows us how common is this horrible side effect of lasik surgery.......I strongly suggest you wearing moisture chambers they are the best in minimizing the symptoms of this chronic disease!!!!
        Best of luck and let my know if I can help you with any other kind of information.
        Cristina

Comment

Hi Cristina

I believe everybody who has done lasik has problems working on the computers. It starts immediately or later like in my case it started after 7 years.I am trying to find one moisture chamber glasses but somehow i cannot find one in Mumbai. I am not sure if i buy the glasses from abroad will it fit me. I am still trying to do research on those. glasses. Can a person work for at least 5 to 6 hours on the computers wearing those glasses just a little bit curious to know before i buy them.

Regards
          Naveen

Comment

Hi Naveen,

Do you still have problem working with computers? I also had Lasik 2 years ago and had various troubles afterward. 2 Main things were computer eye strain and night vision related. For me, I noticed that my computer problem was not related with dry eye as it only caused me problem with LCD displays.

Do you specifically have problem with computer screens also? or your eyes are dry in general?

Comment

Yes Lcd screens too caused me problems but most offices now have Lcd screens,.. Somehow using moisture chamber glasses have helped me a lot and i can go back to work now with occasional problems persisting with dryness. Try it it would be great and it would make your life much more easier. I have got Wiley x and 7 eye both and they are helping me a lot.

Comment

That's good to hear. I was going to suggest using a projector if you were in a similar situation as I was. For me, I basically use a computer projector instead of computer screen. It's cumbersome and not really portable but I could stare at the screen all day without getting a massive headache.

Comment

Unfortunately do not have that option of projector somehow i am managing my routine with moisture chamber glasses hope they help in future too just like they are benefitting me now.

Comment

Working...
                  X