introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• introducing myself

Hi all - so glad I found this site, wanted to introduce myself. I developed dry eye three years ago. In retrospect I realized I had been developing mild dry eye for a long time I think due to long-term contact lens use. Then three years ago I went to work at a new job and developed severe dry eye. I was diagnosed with MGD and tried many things (doxy, drops, heat, fish oil, steroids) but nothing helped. You know the drill, it was horribly uncomfortable and was ruining my life. I suspected the work environment because of the timing but of course it's hard to tell. Nine months later I left that job and then my eyes very slowly improved over the next year. Then I went back to that job as a freelancer - I thought this time would be different because I was able to control the humidity and drafts in my office which I thought might have been the problem before. My eyes got worse again within 2 weeks. I got out of there and told them I could never set foot in the building again. (I've been working from home since.)

Although my eyes are better than they were 3 years ago, they are not completely better but I can manage OK. It's no longer ruining my life but it is annoying and I miss wearing contacts. Three years ago I tried everything and eventually got burnt out on trying to fix the problem and gave up. Part of the problem I now realize is that nothing would have helped while I was still working in that building. Recently I decided to try a new spurt of effort and see if I can improve some more. I haven't tried restasis, autologous serum drops, or plugs so I feel like there may be some more things for me to try.

Although I wish my eyes were better, at least I am not as bad as I was, and I feel for all of you struggling with the worst of it because I remember what that was like! This problem sucks!

Hi jellybean & welcome to the community!

Sorry about your ongoing problems... it is really rough when it has that kind of impact on work and where you can be. Thankfully there are more things to try and I wish you the best as you explore more options! Keep us posted on how it goes!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X