Greetings! New to this site.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings! New to this site.

Hi. I'm another young male with dry eye syndrome.

My little story first:

I have been having this condition since I was grade 12. So, it's been about a little more than 5 years. I have seen 3 eye doctors that didn't do anything, but recommending artificial eye drops, anti-inflammatory pills, warm compress, and plugs.

I've done two plugs procedures. I had some poking sensation everytime I move my eyeballs around, so I took them out...twice already.

Just like everyone else, this condition has changed my life. I was going to go to medical school, but I had to give it up since I couldn't do things I could do when I started to have this condition.

Anyway, I'm taking antidepressant now. My primary doctor understands me, but he still thinks depression (because of dry eye) needs to be treated whatever the cause is.

As far as I know, DES is no longer for old people anymore. I know that there are so many young people with this condition. Since a huge number of people is suffering from this condition, it'll get a lot of funding, and cure or successful treatment will be available in future.

Well, I'm glad to having found this good website (I was actually thinking why there is no forum site for dry eye patients even though there are so many people with the condition). This site is quite new, isn't it?

Cheers,

To Wishsoul - hang in there

Hello - I am always amazed at the young people with Dry Eye Syndrome, because as you said, it is usually older people that you hear about with it. It sounds like yours is pretty bad too. I am 52 and it just started a year ago for me. But it started with a vengence and everyday I look for something new to try to help it. Keep reading the posts on this site. Something you see here might help. It sounds like you are from the U.K. and I am not sure what products you might have there for this. I recently tried Refresh Celluvisc eye drops that feel like oil when you put them in your eyes, but then, they give some relief that lasts for longer than anything else I have tried. I have tried it all. Plugs, drugs, scrubs, drops, you name it. Don't give up doing what you want to do because of it. Somewhere and someday there will be something better to help this. We all get depressed about it, so don't feel bad about that. But don't give up.

Gaye

Comment

Poking sensation

There are many different kinds of plugs. Some are designed so that there is nothing sticking out to give you that poking sensation. It seems that there are new plugs on the market all the time. There are also plugs that let some drainage through.
      Have you had a good medical exam? Does anybody have any idea what caused your dry eyes? I assume it wasn't Lasik.
      Hang in there. This site is good, and perhaps you can find some information that can help you.

Comment

Thank you for relies

Well, I've searched for any cause for this.

I went to see a rheumatologist (spell?) to see if I have Sjogren's Syndrome. I had blood test for Sjogren's, of course, but the result was negative. Blood test doesn't already reveals the presence of the disease, and that's why I asked my primary doctor to send me to rheumatologist. He said I don't have that disease after some examination. Men are very unlikely to get that disease.

I also checked for Diabetes, and I don't have it either.

My overall health is good except that I get depressed and anxious about pain I get from DES.

Comment

Wishsoul

Hang in there! We all know how hard it is sometimes to cope with DES but I do believe that one of these days there will be something out there to help each one of us regardless of the cause of our dry eyes.

REDEYES

Comment

Originally posted by wishsoul
            I have been having this condition since I was grade 12....

Just like everyone else, this condition has changed my life. I was going to go to medical school, but I had to give it up since I couldn't do things I could do when I started to have this condition...

Well, I'm glad to having found this good website (I was actually thinking why there is no forum site for dry eye patients even though there are so many people with the condition). This site is quite new, isn't it?

Hi wishsoul,

Welcome to the Dry Eye Zone!! I'm sorry to hear about your dry eyes and the impact it's had on your school options. Yes, we're quite new - launched about two months ago.

Regards,
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Lacrisert

Hi Wishsoul

I would like to suggest that you try Lacriserts. I use them everyday and would not be able to survive the pain, anxiety and depression without them. You will need to get a prescription for them from your doctor. Lacriserts are a small pellet that you put in your lower eyelid. The warmth from your body gels the lacrisert up which creates moisture for you eye.

Best Wishes to you

Faith Hope

Comment

Working...
              X