Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Magic Wand

My Magic Wand

In the shower today, and continued on my drive into the office, I was thinking what I would do if I had a “Magic Wand” …

The bad things I would do:

Unfortunately, I have a lot of bad thoughts, most are now in the past – perhaps this is simply a function of the pain and the process I am going through. Many months ago, I simply wanted to go into the office of my surgeon in New York City and gun everyone down in that office, including myself (this was only a dream or a nightmare actually, I think). But even in my nightmare, I could not do that, as that would be a federal offense and my family would not get the life insurance I have. My surgeon, whose name I will never forget, but will not post here, was actually a highly decorated kernel in the US air force. Apparently my doctor has performed more than 30,000 laser vision correction procedures and was previously medical director of the prestigious air force academy laser eye clinic. I read a plaque in his office that stated he helped many young children when he was with the air force. My wife spoke to him about my diagnosis (corneal neuralgia) and he said out of the 30,000 patients he performed, only one had that diagnosis and was fine after 18 months. Bullshi-t. But, I try not to have any ill will towards him and his family. So gunning him down would not be fair to his family, would it? But, would I use this “Magic Wand” to make him and his entire staff, “feel” what I feel? … not sure for how long – maybe an entire year or longer. Have them “truly” understand the unforgiving, relentless daily pain and discomfort and how it can drive a perfectly sane person, barking mad at times. I would also use this “Magic Wand” on a couple of my other doctors, including my obnoxious doctor in Boston who has the tenacity to simply tell me “…it looks like you have high levels of pain “occasionally” during the day, but not all day" – oh really being at a pain level 7 a couple times a day, with the pain being that high you want to throw up and cry … it’s not that bad because it is “not all day” … what the f--- does he mean by that anyway. Ya – he would get my “Magic Wand” for at least a year and he would have first-hand experience with this pain. And then I will tell HIM, your life can be normal and it’s OK to use your computer just “wear your goggles” and you will be fine in a month or so. I would also tell him to do acupuncture 2 to 3 times a WEEK, work out rigorously, take a vacation, try not to be “stressed” and while you’re at it, consider a career change as well - as he told me. So … thinking through this more rationally, would I “really” use my “Magic Wand” in this cruel way? Would you? No – I wouldn’t, I would use it in other ways … here’s how…

The good things I would do:
    I would first start by touching my “Magic Wand” to my computer screen where I have “Dry Eye Talk” actively open on my screen, and I would “instantly” cure everyone on the site of all there ailments. I would cure everyone … and remove them from pain, suffering, depression and every other ailment they are suffering from. Folks on the site who continue to help me, like Rebecca, soaps, bakunin, and even Colin P who is recovered, would be touched by my “Magic Wand” … Jade, Nikki, Phillips 55, Tanner, fiddle, Cristi, patientpatrick, jax8it, robster, LauraK, Cali, willwork4tears, spmcc, hopeful2, SAAG, farmgirl , littemermaid and her daughter – as well as many others who have tried to help me in one way or another – all cured by my “Magic Wand”!

I would then touch my “Magic Wand” to the ground and heal “every living soul” from ANY eye disorder. Sjogren’s would be a thing of the past, and some of the young folks I met at the Boston Foundation for Sight would be healed “instantly”. Glasses and contacts would become “obsolete”, a thing of the past. The endless rows of “eye drops” you see in CVS would be a thing of the past and there would be room on the shelf for other helpful products. “Everyone” on this planet would have crystal clear, 20/20 vision and there would no longer be a need for “any” eye doctor, nor “surgeon”. This would all happen “instantly” – and there would no longer be people “lining up”, like a factory, at my surgeon’s office in NYC. They would simply “go out of business” – overnight.

This sounds really good, but bad as well - as many, many people would be out of work. All the doctors and eye glass shops would be closed and shut down. Some of the really nice folks I met along the way, like Joe who went out of his way to get me my moisture chamber goggles and who is working on building custom frames for me, not because I asked – but because he simply wants to help me – he genuinely has an interest in helping me and my family – because he is a kindhearted person (we need more people like this in our world).
    All the folks no longer employed by the “eye” industry would find new jobs, perhaps these great doctors, like Dr. Jacobs, who is the current medical director at BFS, would find a cure for cancer? Why not?

Not sure, what would happen to other brilliant people, like Rebecca – but I suppose she would become a world renowned best-selling international author – maybe some type of series like “J.K. Rowling”.

I would also take my “Magic Wand” and again touch it to the ground and I would heal all the wonderful people who I met in the hospital’s I spent 3 weeks at. Special and brilliant people that I met there with horrific conditions such as schizophrenia, bipolar and other mental conditions would all be cured of their mental ailments… kind people that I will never forget.

This is what I was thinking about in the shower this morning and on my way to work … and no, I have not yet taken my oxycodone – perhaps after I do, I will add some more “creative” additions to what I would do with my “Magic Wand”.

What would you do with my “Magic Wand"?

Cheers,
    Tommy

Oooo... this is fun...

1) Cure everyone of everything that is wrong with them.

2) Remove from everyone any tendencies towards spitefulness, meanness, evil etc., and replace it with all the good qualities that the human race possesses.

3) Make everyone in the world feel content with life.

5) Make everyone in the world have enough of what they need.

6) Ok... here is the crazy one... make everyone have the option of living forever if they wanted to (and give the world the technology to make enough of what is needed to support so many people comfortably) I know... there are logistical problems with this last bit... but surely the magic wand can fix all that, right?

7) Move myself and my family to a tropical island in the south Pacific where we would live in a giant treehouse a la Swiss Family Robinson. What can I say... the notion of this has appealed to me since I was a kid haha (err... I'd make my treehouse have WiFi and electricity though...)

8) Make us immune to poisonous spiders, snakes, jellyfish etc. And also make woodticks and leaches no longer interested in us.

I can think of a few other things too, but no time to type much more

Comment

tommyboy, you have a gift with words either.
      There are some good writers on this board.

Very nice tale.

I would use the Magic Wand to "fix the world", but if it isn't that powerful, curing people here on Dry Eye Talk would be really a dream coming true. Being cured is the wish of my life, and I suppose it is the same with other here.

By the way, I wished some doctors could feel what we feel, so they wouldn't tell us those kind of things that makes our health and mind worse.

Comment

Thanks SAAG and thank you bakunin

Comment

This morning as I was driving into work, I thought of another way to use my "Magic Wand" ... which sounds pretty cruel... but to "temporarily" put people in "eye pain" so they could really appreciate how life is without pain ... how else does one feel true compassion?

Comment

Originally posted by tommyboy View Post
            This morning as I was driving into work, I thought of another way to use my "Magic Wand" ... which sounds pretty cruel... but to "temporarily" put people in "eye pain" so they could really appreciate how life is without pain ... how else does one feel true compassion?
            Yeah. Even people with 'normal' dry eyes can't understand our pain and how it affects all aspects of ours lives... and it is so frustrating...
            And I know I just couldn't imagine it before I had either.

Comment

I hear ya Tom. I have had your thoughts before and boy do I wish I had a magic wand- poof, all dry eye pain is gone for everyone. And maybe the wand could be used to cause some people to experience our dry eye pain temporarily. Some people really do need to experience what this dry eye mess does to your life. Perhaps it would be a much needed humbling experience in their lives.

I am glad to hear you are psychologically better. It really stinks to hear you are in a lot of pain. I hope and pray things will improve for the both of us.
              Bianca
              Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bianca.... how are things with you these days anyway???

Comment

Rid the world of all traffic jams!

Comment

Originally posted by jax8it View Post
                    And maybe the wand could be used to cause some people to experience our dry eye pain temporarily. Some people really do need to experience what this dry eye mess does to your life. Perhaps it would be a much needed humbling experience in their lives.
                    ^Yup, I think some of these pharma companies and laser eye surgeons/doctors/opthamologists could do with a bit of 'hands on experience'.

1) Get rid of all illnesses in the world
                    2) Get rid of floaters
                    3) Make a dry eye community centre where we could all 'warp' in and out and get some support off each other in person sometimes as well as online, kinda like they do on star trek!

Comment

Hey Tom,

I am doing alright. I still suffer from post lasik dry eye pain. I am at a place where I have conceded with this. It is what it is. I just work on making my life the most comfortable I can. Thank you for thinking of me!
                      Lasik victim 2012

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing well Bianca.

Comment

This post is INSANE XD so funny

Magic Wand hahaha

Comment

Imagine if every one had to experience dry eye pain for a year... then imagine the amounts of funding that would go into dry eye\ research, now we are talking! 😊
                            People have recovered, so can we.
                            www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
                            X