Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blepharitis or MGD/Dry Eye

HI

I'm 20 years old and i have problem with my eyes. My doctor said me that i have blepharitis and i think that i have posterior blepharitis (MGD) because i don't see any scrubs, Redness of the eyelids . I make warm compress once a day and i apply azasite to the lid margin once a day for 4 week... I have photos which show my eye:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...529124547.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...529124736.jpg/

I saw that in my eye brows is scurf ( first picture) My right eye hurts. In my right eye i see vein which goes from the conjunctiva and connected with other .

Its look like this and it hurts me ( right eye)

My doctor said me that my right eye is better ( cleaner) than left eye but left eye is right and don't hurt me comared to the right eye...

What is it ? I'll be happy for help and tips.
    Last edited by bayan2682; 12-Jun-2013, 02:29.

Hello Bayan, Do your eyes feel any better now you are using a warm compress and careful cleaning? Did they recommend taking fish/flaxseed oil supplements? How are you cleaning your eyes? It's really important to be gentle but thorough. Warm shower gentle eye rub can be good too. Did they recommend any lubricant eyedrops?

We (my teenager has this) found that the prescription eyedrops, eg Azasite or steroids, were good for bad inflammation, but we didn't get progress until we improved the eyes with the warm compress and hygiene, healthy diet, and eliminating irritating chemicals. We have to keep the eyes damp too with lubricant eyedrops and humidifier, especially staring at computer screens and in air conditioning. I would have bought protective wraparound sunglasses earlier if I'd known, used a blink reminder on the computer and set the screen up to look downwards all the time, reducing eye surface exposure.

Also think about allergies, especially round the house. Also sensitivities to products you are using, including eye treatments. If you look under the lower eyelid, allergy can show cherry-red down to the bottom.

If you think you've got some seb derm, which we did, Head & Shoulders Sensitive just once a week or so might clear it. We also use an organic sensitive tea tree shampoo in case that helps with other dermatophytes like demodex (eg dilute 1:50 and clean along eyelash base with cotton bud). The shampoos inevitably wash over the face and that may be enough.

Important to watch what makes things better/worse for you personally because your eyes will be more sensitive now, especially with less tear film. Sometimes we just use normal ophthalmic saline 0.9% to flush the eyes too in bad environments or after detergents in shower etc, but that is because we've been using tear substitute lubricants a long time. The thicker drops cling on better.

To check meibom, press gently upwards underneath the lower eyelash line with 2 fingers. With good meibom we see a tiny row of oil dots, like baby oil consistency, along the eyelid margin half way between the eyelash line and eye surface.

Really amazing photographs, Bayan.

I think I've found the best information here in http://dryeyezone.com/ and Dryeyetalk. Also

Medscape http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/705247
    UK NHS http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blephar...roduction.aspx
    American Academy of Ophthalmology guidelines http://one.aao.org/SearchResults.asp...=20&t=b&type=1
    Tear Film & Ocular Surface Society report 2011 International Workshop on Meibomian Gland Dysfunction
    The latest research is in http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

We have to register for Medscape but American Academy of Ophthalmology Clinical Guidelines and Preferred Practice Guidelines are open access. The MGD Report is big but very useful reading.

What do you think started blepharitis for you?
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 12-Jun-2013, 03:17.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

My eyes feel better after warm compresses and cleaning but I'm worried about my right eye because It looks like as UP photo and i feel sand therein and right eye hurts me. I use blephasol to clean my eyelilds and I apply TheraTears as Artificial Tears. I don't use fish/flaxseed oil supplements .I always wake up with mucus in my eyes. My problems with eyes started about 5 years ago ...

I wonder about the vein in my right eye. Does it ever disappears?

Comment

Good news your eyes feel better but maybe talk to the doc next time about waking up with mucous and whether it's infected even though you are on azithromycin. Healthy eyes wake up with good mucous but it's whether you think it's abnormal.

Can't help you on worrying about a red vein cosmetically ~ I'm just grateful my teenager can still see and a healthy eye with a good tear film is good enough for me although she does have the larger red veins from chronic inflammation. We also have tiny veins into the cornea, neovascularisation, from chronic keratitis which are not growing just now, thank God - 'ghost vessels' because they are empty of blood while in remission.

Are you sure it's not partly allergy? Did you have any skin problems when the eye trouble started, acne, dandruff, red behind the ears? Or were you away at camp at 15, something like that?

I wonder if in future the docs will treat for demodex as a first line treatment 'just in case' when there's unresolved blepharitis.
        Last edited by littlemermaid; 12-Jun-2013, 04:54.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

My eyes are about 80% better after warm compresses than before but my eye problems started when I played too long on the computer in night.I Remember that I had red eyes like never before ( CRT monitor and no light). I thought that my eyes will be normal next day but wasn't that. My eyes were still red in the morning and I had to leave to new city to new school next day and I did not have time to visit a doctor after about a month I visited a doctor.

I made test for demodex - negative ( two times)...

I think that cause of my eye problems is computer ( but I was about 15 - 16 years old).
          Last edited by bayan2682; 12-Jun-2013, 05:18.

Comment

Hi Bayan, im glad you posted a picture, your eyes are exactly like mine, i also have mgd and bleph and the upper eyelid veins and red veins over the sclera. I also have hypothyroidism, so may be something you should get tested for from your doctor to rule it out just in case and please make sure the doctor does the blood testing every few months for at least a year if your thyroid levels seem off because a one off test proves nothing. Also make sure that any eye cleaning products arent irritating your eyes more and makng them more red. I use warm compresses, eye drops for lubrication and only use doxy rarely after several months.

Comment

I did a split test today and I got it:

This is candida albicans?

Comment

Working...
              X