X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me!

Hello everyone

My case is still undiagnosed, I'm desperate for help, this is not life anymore, I regret so many things, this is my story.
    Last year, in November, I started taking escitalopram, 10 mg daily, but then I had a B12 shot and this caused me an acne breakout, which later evolved to a "moderate" case of rosacea. Since December, I started taking antibiotics (doxy and lymecycline), then I went off them in early April.
    Since late february I started experiencing red lines in my eyes, as well as blurry vision. In March, I started to have dry eye symtoms, and from there, everything got worse.
    My eye doctor doesn't know the real cause of this, she says the only symptom is DRY EYE. The production of both, oil and water layers is reduced.
    The doctor says that maybe both, antidepressants and antibiotics had something to do with dry eye, my biggest fear is to have to deal with this for the rest of my life.
    Sometimes I have thought that this doesn't worth it anymore, I just want to stop living and give my soul a rest.
    Eyes ache all day long, It's so annoying and sad. I'm using systane drops (preservative free), warm compresses at night, lid massage and 2 weeks ago I started thera tears nutrition, oh I have 1 month with steroid drops... nothing helps. I can't afford restasis (actually my eye doc haven't prescribed it).
    I'm only waiting for a miracle. My doctor said she can't confirm an ocular rosacea case, she thinks I have side effects from the antidepressants + antibiotics.
    I've read that some people experienced dry eye years after they went off escitalopram... I'm so scared... I just want to be symptom free-happy .
    I have enough by dealing with my skin... Please let me know your thoughts.
    Thank you

Wow...It seems like you are desperate for some competent professional help. That's not me, but I did feel empathetic when I read your sad story. I'm convinced that absolutely you can get better but probably neither you or I or literally millions of others who have this problem can get symptom free. 1st off, I have a son about your age so my demographics are different than yours. Anyway, in the 4 months since my condition developed I've read 100's of articles and spoken to 4 doctors and of course had some failures but fortunately some successes. Your doc does not sound too together about your problem. Mabey you should consider a 2nd opinion from another doctor. You need to get a conclusive professional opinion about:
    1. Any cornea damage from dry eye scraping your corneas (that normally would heal up by itself in 1-2 months with artifical tears 7-8 times daily lubricating your eyes), (My pain was getting worse as I ignored the dry eye and the 30-40 cuts in each of my corneas thinking that it would clear up...but it kept getting worse until I faced up to the fact that I had to artifically lubricate my eyes until my cornea cuts healed and we used different techniques to get my oil glands pumping out more lubricating oil.
    2. Is your basic dry eye condition because of low tear or low oil production?, (increasing your tear production with Restasis or punctal plugs if your oil glands in your upper and lower eyelids are not making enough oil will not help you much). A doctor should normally be able to gently apply enough pressure on your eye lids and with her/his optic magnifiying instruments, etc. to be able to count how many of your eye oil glands are producing oil and she or he should be able to tell you how many of your oil glands are working for the lower left eye eyelid, then the upper left eye eyelid, then the lower right eye eyelid, then the upper right eye eyelid, etc. Then the next visit to the docs she/he could tell you if more of the glands are producing oil due to whatever treatments that they have you on. If their prescribed treatments are working your oil glands in your eyelids will start producing more and more oil and your symptoms will bet less and less painful and less annoying.
    3. Personally, I now look forward to the 2 times daily that my doc has me putting the very warm (but not too hot) thick type washrag over both my eyes for 10 minutes. He likes me to have a bowl of hot water when I do it for when the washrag cools down. Then I gently use a Q-Tip with 3-4 drops of artifical tears on the cotton end for what he calls "lip hygiene". This took a little practice to learn and only takes about 10 seconds per eye. Every time my eyes feel great then. He tells me that lid hygiene is much more effective than many medications for long term control of this problem.

Well, I sincerely hope that some of this feedback may help you. Good luck and as one of the greatest of my bosses used to tell me "Don't take stock of your fears and Keep your chin up!" You can beat this condition!

Comment

Thank you for your post. The last time the doctor said that both, water and oil production are low, but actually this last appointment she told me that the oil production was increasing and improving (less thick), I think is due to the thera tears supplements. Currently I do apply heat, but are not compresses per se, it is an eye mask with little bubbles on it which I microwave, I don't know if using a wascloth and hot water would work better. How's your daily life? Do you struggle with the condition or are you able to forget that you have that condition? I can't avoid thinking about it because is always bothering me. Also, I wanted to know if is normal to have difficulty to focus, idk how to describe it, I can't keep staring something very long because I get tired... My eyes are very "lazy" lately, even when I'm driving I feel I am not focusing very good. It has something to do with dry eye?

Comment

Hi lili28! Hope that your condition has improved. I just reread earlier comments and noted that we both had dry eye symptoms start about the same time. I am resolved to beating this thing back as much as possible. I am just not going to accept defeat because there's no point in being anything but positive about it. Every week I seem to move ahead a little more. I sincerely hope that your making progress too. I've found a great nightime ointment that has taken my night pain away when I'm sleeping. Today I finally correctly figured out the car humidifier I bought online
        and also bought the correct adapter from Amazon and I was having fun driving around today holding it up like a cigarette vape glass while it soothed my eyes; My acquaintances at the local fast food drive through were fasinated with it. It definatelly helped my driving be less painful. I stopped steriod drops as they were zero help and the ocular pressure thing is very worrisome.
        I started Azthromycin and they have really helped with eyelid and eye inflamation also taking away more pain. I can't help but be a little sceptical about your doctor diss on antibiotics as possibly being the major cause of your dry eye. I just keep chipping away at the condition and symptoms and it gets a little better every day. Other than my sweet wife, the rest of the world (friends, relatives, etc.) don't seem to get how common this is and not a lot of empathy but so what... Also, I've upped my early evening exercise outside jogging , etc. listening to rock and hip hop and it makes me feel really good; from about the 15 minute to the 45 minute level the endomorphines kick in and it's a great natural high. Then I seem to care less about my eye pain the rest of the evening. I've upped my large glasses of ice water (I seem to like drinking it much better than room temp water) and after 2-3 glasses I can noticeable feel the increase in tear production.

Give us an update if you get a chance.

Comment

Hi Lili, I hope your condition is improving. My advice is that if your doctor doesn't provide all the info, support and treatment you need, just go and find a second opinion.
          In the meantime, this is what has helped my condition (I hope it can help you too):
          I'm taking flaxseed oil and evening primrose oil pills every day (2 of primrose oil and 4 of flaxseed oil) plus one fish oil pill every other day. I also try to eat fish every day, even if it's only canned tuna or smoked salmon. And I drink a lot of water.
          Also I wash my eye lids very thoroughly with eyelid towelettes every morning and evening and use Therapearl eye mask cold or warm (I change).
          Other than that, I have just had a 3 week treatment of steroid drops FML, which have helped a lot, though I don't know how long the improvement will last.
          And eye drops wise I have tried many of them and the ones I like most are those made out of carmellose (like Viscofresh).
          I hooe your condition is temporary and can be easily healed, but in the meantime I hope any of this can help.
          Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Ctrain View Post
            Hi lili28! I've upped my large glasses of ice water (I seem to like drinking it much better than room temp water) and after 2-3 glasses I can noticeable feel the increase in tear production.
            Ctrain do you think iced water works better than room temperature water?

Comment

Hi Manupi, yes the chilled or ice water works better for me simply because I don't have to discipline myself to drink it; Rather, I actually like the taste much more than room temperature water and find it easy to sip it non-stop until I reach my goals for the minimum daily level of water and beyond. It is not more beneficial because of the water temperature itself however. Again, it's just that I can reach my minimum daily goals of water consumption. Good luck!

Comment

Ctrain Hi!
                Sorry I didn't reply right away, I've been through a lot lately. I've been seen by 6 doctors... the first 4 couldn't find what is wrong with me, until the fifth one, he was able to tell that I'm farsighted... but I'm "forcing" my sight so he discovered because he had to dilate my pupils and see the "real" prescription.
                Anyway, besides that, the thing that I know from another doctor is that my meibomian glands are not working properly... the fluid is clear and good consistency... BUT is not enough, and I guess is not good quality either... I've lost some meibomian glands (dr made a meibography), but he says is not that bad, that I should be able to have relief even without those glands.
                He said ocular rosacea, but If you look at my eyes, you will find them "normal"... I mean, besides looking tired and with very dark circles, they are a little red but that's it... I don't look like the people on the internet...
                I've tried lots of steroids, without success (dr always check my OP), but I don't know what else to do.
                I'm trying to eat healthy, but I'm not going to be a vegan or make paleo, I can't afford that! But I'm trying to eat better, drink lots of water and green tea.
                How are you know?

Comment

Manupi Hi!
                  Sorry for my delay. I've been drinking lots of water... Do you think canned tuna helps? It is easier that eat fish every day.
                  I try to drink my water with chia seeds. FML didn't work for me
                  The only think has helped me is tobradex, but just a little. it wasnt a significant improvement.
                  I should try it again... that was on May... when I tried it.
                  It has been 4 months of hell... but I do have hope, I have read some dry eye triumphs, those are the ones that keep me sane... I wish more people could come back and write their stories.

Comment

Hi,antibiotic causing dry eye ..well I dont know,antibiotcs like doxyciline are used to treat posterior blepharitis /mgd. Supposed to make the oil a better consistancy and quality. In fact in a few months I probably will take it for just that reason. Also blurring of vision is listed as a symptom of dry eye. I have blurred vision on and off all day,but I also have a few other problems that make it worse. I am obsessed with the blurred vision.I dont know if you have light sensitivity or not but when I get my new glasses I will probably be adding a light tint for my regular glasses as well as anti glare coating. I believe Transition has a new lens that also has a light tint to help with indoor glare Right now when I want some relief from the sensitivity and blur I give myself a break and wear fit over sunglasses in the house. Does take the edge off of the problem. Also polarized sunglasses for outside.

Comment

Hi Klee
                      My first doctor didn't know anything, she just was guessing... in that time I didn't know that antibiotics actually help to ease inflammation.
                      I've visited several doctors, and apparently my sight problem (an uncorrected farsightedness) also has contributed to my symtoms, at least I think that, because tired eyes from not seeing properly + DRY EYE...= major discomfort... or at least.. that's my theory.
                      I do have light sensitivity but not that serious... I have hope that someday I'll find some relief.
                      I hope you are doing better.

Comment

Hi lili28! Sounds like you have taken some very positive steps over the last month or so and you're doing good in that you seem to understand the problem much, much better than you did awhile back. Hey, none of us that have this problem can solve it immediately but I have come to believe we can alleviate most of the symptoms while we continue to search for a full or partial solution to the physical deficiencies that are actually causing the problem...Anyway, my eyes still hurt daily but each day I'm getting better at reducing the symptoms. It's very cool that you don't have much light sensitivity, I do fight that problem (Photophobia) and it's hard to ration and limit my daily viewing of computer monitors for education and entertainment and some television that I like to watch... I have a hard time being "mature" and use those things most days until my eyes really start to hurt (like now at 1 A.M.). Of course it's the weekend so that's ok I guess...

I don't know what country your in, I'm in the beautiful northwest portion of the U.S. Anyway, Amazingly, the two best products I've found are not from the U.S. rather they are obtained (via Amazon) from the U.K.:
                        The nightime ointment (just prior to sleeping) is "VitA-POS" (that's their spelling and case sensitive version).
                        The daytime drops are "Hyco San Extra"...Not greasy, lasts a long time, good stuff!
                        Still using thick hot wash cloths that I put in a bowl and run hot water on for 15-20 seconds and a microwave heated mask over that (Not too hot!) to keep the wash cloth hot after it starts to cool down. 1-3 times daily depending if I'm too busy or not.
                        Finally, my portable humidifier for the car (plugs into cigarette lighter hole and then has a USB adapter to the humidifer) is very nice and it's great at stop lights or traffic delays to hold up to your eyes.

The things posted above are just for treating the dry eye symptoms. Realistically, that is the place to start because hopefully that will cut your pain levels way down and make life easier. Also, mega quantities of water (got to drink 6-8 glasses a day even though it's a pain and takes disciple). Of course, fish oil and flaxseed oil , taken daily in gelitin pill form are a must for anyone with dry eye. Again, these things will help with the symptoms and my personal opinion is that we should all spend the first year or so with this problem just working on alleviating the symptoms so we can then have a normal and good life and keep working to achieve our big goals.

I have always felt that You have to have exciting, passionate dreams your entire life. It makes a person happy and nobody has a right to tell you that you can't have or achieve great things. You seem to be taking charge of this dry eye problem in a very positive way and I would certainly encourage you to keep up that good attitude! Remember there is ABSOLUTELY nothing you cannot do if you put your mind to it! You have got a great life in front of you and you should never take stock of your fears because you (like all of us) are your own best friend and you simply will never stop working on a solution until you completely overcome this problem. Meanwhile, I'd encourage you to also keep working on the other goals in your life that you know will bring you happiness and success!

Also, it's nice to treat yourself once in awhile to an occasional bowl of high quality ice cream or a good beer with a friend or two. (My wife is sick with the flu this week--I've more or less nursed her all week-- and my 30 year old son is busy with his new game web site because he has over 200 players on the weekends--launched 6-24-16 and doing great--hooray!) but no one this weekend to go to a Saturday ball game or car race this weekend with me so looks like I'll take my big, golden cocker spaniel/hound to the local back country (woods) for a long hike and a new adventure (I love the outdoors and I'm determined to start going out again to the local rivers, lakes, parks now that I've beaten back a lot of the dry eye symptoms--I'm determined that nothing is going to stop me from doing that).

Sincere Best wishes,
                        "Ctrain"

Comment

C you have a wonderful attitude. Were you this positive thinking when you first started this dry eye journey?Im strugglong to cope and have stopped most of my regular activities. Right now its not so much the discomfort but I have a bad tear film which makes my vision hazy,cloudy blurred etc on and off all day,i get so much anxiety from it that I avoid things. One of my doctors I saw just saod to cope I should forget about it. Cant forget how your eyesight is. Im probably going to try doxycycline soon as Ive read it helps with the oil quality of the tears. My husband is sick of my anxiety,but he has no idea what its like. I hope someday to be able to cope as well as you do,I so miss the things I loved to do.

Comment

Hi Klee! Thank you for the nice comment. I appreciate it! Sorry that your husband is not more empathetic about this problem. Obviously, it's not your fault and nothing you have done has caused this..There is no reason what-so-ever to feel guilty about anything! I'm lucky because my spouse is very empathetic and supportive. However, even if she wasn't I'd just passionately take on the issue of significantly reducing my symptoms because they get in the way of doing what I normally do and enjoy every day. I would respectfully encourage you to be determined to succeed in reacquiring the positive attitude that you had before the problem all started. You may not be able to begin doing everything you loved to previously do but certainly you can start to begin some of your prior activies ASAP. As soon as you can reduce some of your symptoms you can start these activites. Don't rationalize, and don't wait , force yourself to start to get passionate again about what you love to do and be determined to make it happen. Also, I wouldn't have liked that snarky attitude from one of your doctors to cope and just forget about it. A little empathy can go a long way with most of us since we all all social creatures and we need that.

To honestly answer one of your questions, none of us is perfect and certainly I am not so yes, frankly I was less than positive 5 months ago when the symptoms first flared up and it took a few months to feel like I was starting to get it under control. It's like a very fast video game in that I've discovered that you have to keep throwing the best solutions you can find at the problem through research and/or advice from the regiment of doctors, internet research and overall the "best solutions at the time, one-by-one" at the symptoms until finally the pain, blurred vision, etc. started to decrease with these new things that you are trying. Something WILL WORK...never forget that or stop believing that!

Like you, I am also attracted to certain antibiotics (specifically either Doxycycline or Tetracycline). I did try Doxy without much success... However My current Ophthalmologist suggested a low dosage of Tetracycline 2 weeks per month, more or less indefinately. First I got a second opinion from my GP and he recently said no problem. (such a low dose that I should still be ok with use of an antibiotic in an emergency, etc.). I'm hoping to start that at next appointment in several weeks. The symptoms (except photophobia) are under control with Hyco San Extra (via Amazon). I had some blurred vision too. Not so much now. In retrospect, I was heaping masses of artifical tears with goopy oil lubricants, rubbing my eyes at first way too much and therefore unintentionately "expressing" the oil glands manually thus the clotted oil was being pushed out resulting in blurred vision. Not sure if either of these things might be something you are also doing but when I switched to my new less oil based artificial tears (Hyco San Extra) and stopped pushing so much on my eyelids the blurring reduced dramatically... Finally my interest in Amniotic Fluid eye drops (technique to use stem cell process for actual rejuvenation of the broken meibomian gland tubes) continues. That last technique has definate possibilities for addressing the cause and not just the symptoms of most of our dry eye and deficient dry eye problems. Am continuing to research that latter possibility.

Finally, absolutely no need for anxiety what-so-ever. Very, very unlikely that your symptoms will evolve into a more serious loss of vision. You should think of it as just "another bump in the road". Like all the ones in the past that I'm sure you've overcome, soon it will just be in your rear view mirror. Never stop believing you will beat this problem and will derive a great deal of personal satisfaction from conquering this pesky foe!

Ctrain

Comment

just wanted to add (maybe to reassure you) that my dry eye has actually improved since ive been on antibiotics (not given for the dry eye but im on long term antibiotics for lyme disease) and my lyme doctor said some drugs (like doxy) are actually beneficial to the eye.
                              I think the fact you have both water and oil issues would point to something going on under the surface, Don't give up looking into this, there is always hope! im doing loads of research and made a lot of progress since my eye issues started and it seemed hopeless at the start too. The idea is to take things into your own hands and start doing your own detective work.
                              People have recovered, so can we.
                              www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
                              X