This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Eyes

I am a 32 year old guy with chronically red eyes. Well it comes and goes with severity. There are always some residual blood vessels leftover but they can get more engorged from time-to-time with high frequency. I have eye allergies which is definitely part of the problem (dust mites, mold, indoor year-round allergies officially diagnosed). I also think even had I not had allergies my eyes are sensitive and just prone to redness. My face sometimes gets red too and I am fair-skinned northwestern European genes Irish/English (american). So I am prone to flushing but its not so bad and I don't think I have rosacea. My mode of attack these days had been artificial tears and sometime allergy eye drops such as Pataday but it seems to have almost 0 effect. I am scheduled to receive allergy shots this month. Just starting out. Does anyone have some advice? I have not been diagnosed with Dry Eyes and my eyes don't feel dry necessarily, more red with some very, very mild itching but no pain. This is my intro post. Advice?
    Last edited by bigred; 10-May-2016, 11:16.

Last edited by savino; 04-Jun-2017, 07:28.

Comment

I'm thinking that you may have ocular rosacea- I've suffered with this all my life- I'm very fair-skinned, the child of irish immigrants. When I was much younger ( I'm 68 now) I had really no symptoms of dry eye but a lot of chronic inflammation which no one seemed able to diagnose- the facial rosacea was in it's very early stages then. who have you seen about this?

Comment

Originally posted by savino View Post
        Make sure you use antihistamines without preservatives (BAK). Zaditen comes in single dose units. Flushing is a sign of allergy. Try some cetirizine tablets.

Yeah I have read up on the dreaded BAK. I stopped using Pataday for this very reason. I have been using single use vials of artificial tears that are preservative-free. I was hoping I could find an allergy eye drop with both antihistamine and mast cell stabilizing properties like Pataday without BAK. I know allergies is PART of my chronic red eye problem, but sometimes its still red even when I don't have allergies. I am not sure what else is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyrabbit123 View Post
          I'm thinking that you may have ocular rosacea- I've suffered with this all my life- I'm very fair-skinned, the child of irish immigrants. When I was much younger ( I'm 68 now) I had really no symptoms of dry eye but a lot of chronic inflammation which no one seemed able to diagnose- the facial rosacea was in it's very early stages then. who have you seen about this?
          I may have very mild early stage rosacea. It is certainly possible but doesnt bother me much yet. It is really just the eyes and could be mild and early stage ocular rosacea in combination with indoor allergies. What have you done to treat your ocular rosacea? I have seen a couple eye doctors who diagnosed me with allergic conjunctivitis, I have seen an allergist / immunologist who did a skin prick test & IgE blood test and diagnosed me with allergies to dust mites and household molds. I have seen a dermatologist that said I dont currently have rosacea but may be prone to getting it in the future because of tendency to flush and my fair complexion. My maternal grandmother's sister (my great aunt?) has rosacea. You have made an interesting suggestion.

Comment

Have you tried Hylo Dual?
            http://candorvision.com/hylodual/

Comment

Bigred,, Rosacea can begin in the eyes before any evidence of facial involvement is seen. This was my situation-I used steroids on and off for years till IOP problems developed-sorry to say, I haven't found any good solutions to this absent the steriod drops-using pf tears to ease discomfort but outside of cold compresses, nothing really gets rid of the redness- I would say if you are doing warm compresses, you might stop and and see if things improve

Comment

Bigred,, Rosacea can begin in the eyes before any evidence of facial involvement is seen. This was my situation-I used steroids on and off for years till IOP problems developed-sorry to say, I haven't found any good solutions to this absent the steriod drops-using pf tears to ease discomfort but outside of cold compresses, nothing really gets rid of the redness- I would say if you are doing warm compresses, you might stop and and see if things improve
                I am really hoping the allergy shots will provide at least partial relief. Going to continue artificial tears. I read about cauterizing specific blood vessels in the scerla via laser. Have you heard about this?

Comment

I haven't heard about this- i'd be interested as the cosmetic aspect of the problem is upsetting to me- Have you actually spoken to a doctor about doing this? I've seen so many opths over the years , always mention how having to live with this is so upsetting-none of them has ever mentioned this- I

Comment

I haven't heard about this- i'd be interested as the cosmetic aspect of the problem is upsetting to me- Have you actually spoken to a doctor about doing this? I've seen so many opths over the years , always mention how having to live with this is so upsetting-none of them has ever mentioned this- I
                    I haven't heard anyone mention it in person but i read about it on this forum and others blogs. Seems scary tho.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. I' think I'd be very afraid if someone said they would do this to me. I also want to say to you that I went the allergist route years ago myself. Had tests, shots etc. It didn't improve my eye condition at all Be specific as to what you can expect from treatment- Medicine has become a business, not a calling these days much to my disgust!!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. I' think I'd be very afraid if someone said they would do this to me. I also want to say to you that I went the allergist route years ago myself. Had tests, shots etc. It didn't improve my eye condition at all Be specific as to what you can expect from treatment- Medicine has become a business, not a calling these days much to my disgust!!
                        Yeah I hear you on being selective in what you pay for. I am willing to try allergy shots because it has been an known fact (early age tests) and glaring observation since childhood i had them (clear-cut reactions when exposed). Its also a historical mode of treamemt at this point as allergy shots have been used since around 1940s? I was getting red eyes bsck in my teens which i would imagine couldnt have been ocular rosacea that young. Its also worth noting i have others symptoms to consider such as stuffy nose and etc. That id like to mitigate, even if eyes specifically have no discernible benefit.

Comment

Manupi , have you tried yourself Hylo dual ???? i am using Hylo tears since 3 weeks ..it helped me a bit but my eyes become itchy when i use them at work ...i am wondering if i am allergic to dust or something like that....may be the anti-allergic effect of Hylo Dual would help!!!

Comment

Havent you tried any long term Therapy against the all those allergies?

Comment

MadiMGD I did try Hylo Dual because first I was diagnosed with allergy rather than dry eyes. In my case it didn't help much, but then I was finally diagnosed with dry eyes, not with allergy, so maybe that's why it didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X