New to the dry eye world....sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the dry eye world....sort of

Hi all! I am here in hopes of getting some answers/advice. I am a 27 year old female. I have suffered with dry eyes for about 2 years now. I have worn contact lenses since I was 14, but can no longer wear them comfortably. (I do now and then when I'm desperate.) My eyes are miserable from waking up to going to sleep. Drops seem to only help for 15-20 minutes and I'm pretty sure I have tried every kind. I have tried punctal plugs, but they made no difference. The ophthalmologist wants me to try Restasis next. I am hesitant. Any input?

A bit more about me:

- The only medication I take regularly is birth control, Levora.
    - I take a women's multivitamin, a B complex and a hair, skin and nails vitamin everyday. I just started taking vitamins around a month ago.
    - I am gluten intolerant. I found out about a year ago when my doctor had me do an elimination diet. I felt AMAZING during most of that month, until I introduced gluten back into my body. I ate cream of wheat and BAM my body hated me. Finally, 2 months ago I started the gluten free diet. I feel great! My joints are no longer swollen, my psoriasis is gone and I no longer have digestive issues! My eyes are still dry though. Was hoping they would get better as well.
    - After smoking cigarettes for about 5 years, I quit 120 days ago!

That is all I can think of at this moment. Any input would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Hi MM,

Do you know your full diagnosis? Have you had your thyroid levels checked? I am around your age and have had eye issues for about 2 years also. Well done on quitting smoking! Your eyes can and will improve with time and maintenance, just hang in there!

Comment

Getting a thyroid panel is a good idea. Be sure to have all of these checked: TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and TPO. Also, if you are aqueous deficient consider getting checked for Sjogren's. Your gluten intolerance is interesting. If you are hypothyroid, Hashimoto's, your antibodies don't distinguish well between the gluten protein and the thyroid protein. It's called gluten mimicry. Your body attacks the thyroid and TPO is elevated.

Did you find that if you consumed anything with gluten your weight would increase by a pound or two instantly?

Comment

Also, I learned recently that quitting smoking can cause hypothyroidism, which might be what is happening to you. Once you are hypothyroid, especially Hashimoto's, it doesn't go away because the autoimmune system switch is turned on. You just have to manage it. But don't start smoking again. Best to get your levels checked.

Contact lenses aren't the best thing either. They interrupt the blink feedback loop.

Comment

Thank you both for responding! I do not know my full diagnosis. I have had my thyroid checked twice in the past 5 or so years, most recent was 2 weeks ago, and everything came back normal. I am not aqueous deficient. Only my eyes and skin are dry. Also, I live in Montana so the climate is rather dry. Which could play a role in this.

I have never noticed a major weight difference when I consume gluten. When I eat gluten I break out in a rash on my abdomen and back, the psoriasis flares up on my scalp, I become extremely bloated and develop heartburn/acid reflux. My finger joints also swell like sausages and I become very sluggish. This all happens within a couple days of eating it.

Comment

That's great that your thyroid is normal and that you've gone gluten-free.

Omega 3's can help a lot with dry skin and are necessary for good meibum production.

If you can tolerate Restasis and it helps then great. I've heard some doctors don't like to prescribe Restasis because it alters the proteins secreted by the lacrimal glands. I personally was not able to tolerate Restasis at all. I had extreme pain, so bad that I reported it to the FDA after contacting the Restasis safety department. I was on Restasis for about 5 months and it didn't help at all.

The issue for so many of us is getting a proper diagnosis and then treating all of the co-morbidities. So for example, let's say you start Restasis. It's active ingredient is Cyclosporine, an antibiotic. The antiobiotic will help if you have bacteria and some inflamation. But if you have demodex mites, blocked meibomian glands, and a wrinkled conjunctiva, or an underlying autoimmune condition, Restasis will not help at all.

Comment

Mmulske-

I would also look at your birth control- which can be associated with DES in young women. Can you switch to another form?
              -MLE

Comment

I am planning on picking up some omega vitamins tomorrow. I think I am going to hold off on the Restasis for a while and try other possible remedies first.

I haven't been able to find any information linking Levora to dry eye. Anything is possible though. I have been taking this same formula of birth control for about 7 years now. Have never had any negative side effects. This pill has been perfect for me so I don't think changing is an option. Haha. (I hope this isn't my case though.)

Comment

Working...
                X