This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone!

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum. I am from the UK. I suffer with dry eye after having Lasek correction surgery 2 years ago.Worst decision of my life. Through the day it is not so bad but every single morning when i wake my eye balls feel like they are being clawed out. I would like to know what the most effective lubricants/treatments have been for you guys. I have had one appointment with an opthalmologist (NHS) who didn't seem very reassuring. In fact she seemed quite annoyed that i had opted for correction surgery in the first place. I am considering going private. Also, have any of you had experience with punctal plugs?

I wash my eyes twice daily and I have kept a diary of the lubricants I have tried so far with notes. see below:

Viscotears - Rubbish
    Viscotears preservative free - Works for a couple of hours
    Bausch & Lomb Soothe - Works 60% of the time but leaves thick residue in eyes
    Hycosan Eye drops - Thin consistency. Only good for use in the day
    Lacrilube - Works 60% of the time but leaves thick residue in eyes and irritates with continuous use.

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi and sorry to hear about your eyes. I don't know if you've tried this, but the most useful advice I got on here was not to open my eyes in the morning, but to massage them first and get some drops under the lid so they don't stick and tear when you open them.

The most effective drops I've used so far are Optive and Hylotears. If you're in the UK, Tesco's Pharmacy has both. From my experience, Hylotears is effective for a couple of hours but does leave a residue on lashes to be cleared once a day. I actually prefer Optive, which works slightly differently and didn't leave a residue, but I can't use it with the bandage lens. Also I don't know if you have tried the gels, but for overnight I was initally given Vita-pos, a gel meant to last several hours. It is prescription-only, but your GP might be helpful. (Note: If you have MDFdistrophy rather than a smooth cornea, it doesn't work well).

And I hope your eyes start to feel better. This can be miserable to live with.

Comment

Hi Keely,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of the type of dry eye i just know it was from Lasek corrective surgery. I will try the products you have mentioned. If i wake before my eyes open i am always careful but sometimes i wake quite suddenly and without opening my eyes, it feels like my eyeball rolls forward as i'm waking which is what causes the pain. I feel i will be quite active on this site for the foreseeable future so i will post my experiences for information to anyone else suffering the same.

I also have a hobby which is affected greatly by this problem, boxing. Would be interested to know if anyone else on here with dry eye is also taking part in similar activities.

Thanks again!

Comment

also have you tried using an eye mask? that helps a lot for some.
        People have recovered, so can we.
        www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Michael, Why isn't the lasik company treating you post-surgery? It's in the contract. They send people to their Complications Clinics.
          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by waterbee View Post
            also have you tried using an eye mask? that helps a lot for some.
            No i haven't tried this yet but i will be starting it this week. Can you recommend a type/brand? Thak you.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
              Michael, Why isn't the lasik company treating you post-surgery? It's in the contract. They send people to their Complications Clinics.
              Hi, I didn't realise they were supposed to? I will contact them today. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X