Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only with eye glasses and not with contact lenses ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only with eye glasses and not with contact lenses ...

I have been getting a weird sensation around my eyes when I wear eye glasses.
    I had it a few years ago and it seemed to of gone away for awhile.
    I experience a puffiness feeling above and below my eye. But there is nothing physically obvious.
    It can last a few minutes to sometimes up to 20 minutes. My eyesight is not bothered at all by it and there is no pain whatsoever. Its just a nuisance feeling. I had asked my optometrist a few years ago what it could be. He felt that dry eyes may be causing it. Or maybe allergies. He prescribed Restasis. I was on it for quite awhile - a year or so.
    But here is the kicker ... when I experience this sensation and I put my contacts in, the feeling goes away immediately.
    I wear progressive lenses. So I thought that maybe I was getting it from that. But when I put on a single lense pair of glasses, it does not go away.
    The feeling is as if I have a fluid build up causing the puffiness feeling. Again, when I experience this sensation and I put my contacts in, the feeling goes away immediately.

Any thoughts??

Yep, that's weird. Attached is the list of common dry eye symptoms and I don't see anything that would indicate your problem is related.
    • A stinging, burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes
    • Stringy mucus in or around your eyes
    • Sensitivity to light
    • Eye redness
    • A sensation of having something in your eyes
    • Difficulty wearing contact lenses
    • Difficulty with nighttime driving
    • Watery eyes, which is the body's response to the irritation of dry eyes
    • Blurred vision or eye fatigue
    I routinely experience 5 of the above but you will note that difficulty wearing contact lenses is one of them but that actually makes you feel better, so.....it seems he was grasping at straws with his suggestion. I am curious to know if the resstasis helped.

Since you asked,,,those are my thoughts....F/G

Comment

"I am curious to know if the restasis helped" ... Hi farmgirl .. I remember it helping a few years back but will let you know.
      I do have a thought that I did not mention prior.
      I have not changed my glasses for over 2 years. My prescription also has not changed. With that said, can glass lenses lose their ability to give you proper eye sight - I know that sounds strange but just curious. Also, I'm wondering if its possible the the progressive lenses could be causing an issue anyway - such as the symptom I'm feeling

Comment

So a few years back you were on Restasis and a few years back the sensation went away for a while. Is it possible that the restasis was helping and that when you quit the condition returned? Just another thought.

Comment

The fact you say there is no pain means it is nothing I am familiar with. Sorry.

There's sometimes a physical change when you put contact lenses in. Is it possible they are reshaping the eye slightly or protecting it from being rubbed by the eyelid? Also, do you get this feeling when you aren't wearing glasses, because otherwise it might be worth checking the prescription on your lenses are the same as the one on your glasses?

Comment

Farmgirl,
            "Is it possible that the restasis was helping and that when you quit the condition returned?"
            Its been a few years since I quit the Restasis. I know the experts say that it takes quite a few months to cure whatever is causing the dry eyes. I'm not so sure the symptoms are for dry eyes. I'm starting to think possibly allergies.

kelly,
            "Is it possible they are reshaping the eye slightly or protecting it from being rubbed by the eyelid?"
            I guess anything is possible.
            "Also, do you get this feeling when you aren't wearing glasses" - well no I don't. I posted above:
            "when I experience this sensation and I put my contacts in, the feeling goes away immediately"

"
            otherwise it might be worth checking the prescription on your lenses are the same as the one on your glasses?"
            They are not. The contacts are slightly different for my right eye - astigmatism.
            I'm tempted to ask the eye dr if I should wear try a single lense frame and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
            X