This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye due to chemical burn

Hi, I’ve had dry eye for 3 years due to an accident with organic solvents. I’ll try to tell my story as briefly as possible.

After the accident I was given some antibacterial and steroid drops to use for a week. After that my eyes feel fine like before the accident, the problem begun two weeks later when I went to the beach for some days, the sun exposure (didn’t wear sunglasses) and water entering to the eyes made me feel some discomfort. After the trip I noticed that everyday my eyes were red when I woke up. Went to the doctor he said my cornea was fine and he sent me vasoconstrictor drops, he said I had to use them for six months three times a day, but after using them for about a month I went back because there wasn’t any improvement and he changed my drops to systane balance. I used those drops 3-4 times a day and started to get a little improvement but I couldn’t use my computer or watch tv without having some pain. My routine those days consisted on staying at home listening to music or reading, I tried to sleep as much as possible and took showers twice a day that were a big relief.

One day, a month after I started with systane balance I was able to use my computer for some hours without any pain like in the times without dry eye, I thought that I was healed but two or three days later the pain and dryness came back. To this day I don’t know why I was feeling that good those days.

The next months I improved a little but still couldn’t use a computer or watch tv for more than an hour. In June of 2014 I started taking omega 3 and that changed all, two weeks later I noticed a difference and a month later there was a big improvement. I reduced the quantity of drops progressively till I stopped using them. Approximately nine months after I started with omega 3 my eyes were very good, I felt no dryness at all but I got some little yellow pimples in my lids really often. I went to the doctor and he told me that I had that problem because of a bad nutrition. He told me that I had to reduce the fats in my diet: drink skim milk, no fried foods, etc. He also told me to do lid scrubs with baby shampoo.

I started eating better and the pimples appeared less frequently but once in a while I got a pimple. Some months ago I started taking a multivitamin, didn’t noticed too much change at first but two months ago I started feeling that my eyes were very dry at the end of the day, as if the tear production stopped at night, also I noticed that my lips got dry too. Reading some posts here I saw that multivitamins can cause dryness and stopped it. Today I am better at the end of the day but some days I still get a little dry eyes and lips at the end of the day.
    What I don’t understand is why I have some good weeks and suddenly one day it’s like my eyes don’t make enough tears, I feel the dryness and takes me a few days to get them feeling better.

That’s basically my story since I got dry eye and how I managed to handle it, I have a normal life now, except for the times that my eyes don’t feel well, I still think that I can get better but I am a bit stuck with my recovery. It’s like the improvement has been really slow the last months.

I hope my story could help someone and I would like to know if you have any suggestions.
    Thank you.

Working...
X