Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried literally every treatment, spared no expense... there is NO cure for Dry Eyes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried literally every treatment, spared no expense... there is NO cure for Dry Eyes.

I'm 25 years old with extremely severe dry eyes and light sensitive eyes. I'm going to list all of the treatments I've tried with hopes that you don't spend a single dollar on any of them because they are all absolute BS unless instant temporarily relief that lasts 30 seconds is your end goal:

1. Castor oil directly on the eye. DOESN'T WORK.
    2. Drugstore brand eye drops and gels. DONT WORK.
    3. Restasis corticosteroid prescription eye drops. DONT WORK.
    4. LipiFlow treatments. DONT WORK.
    5. Switching from contacts to glasses. DOES NOTHING.

I'm not even going to disrespect any of the other SEVERE sufferers here by putting "hot compress" on the list.

I am in a very angry mood right now and realizing what complete BS the eyecare industry is when it comes to dry eyes.

WHEN WILL THEY INVEST THE MONEY TO DEVELOP A SURGERY THAT FIXES THIS PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Eye doctors should be ashamed of themselves until this problem is solved.

Is anyone else a #&@%ing pissed off about this as I am? This is one of the most debilitating diseases and nobody cares about us.

Hi Ryan , i can totally relate all you have said. The solutions you listed that doesnot work on me either. What are your schirmer and tbut? My best advice is : try some coconut oil. Best thing i have tried

Comment

Hello Ryan,
      I do feel your pain. I've had MGD since I was 10 years old (am 27 today) so I understand your frustration. Yes, I do have phases when I am upset with the doctors, the situation and the slow progress in this area of research. However, I think there is a lot of options for you still to consider such as moisture chamber glasses, IPL and so forth. Have you tried/considered these?

Although you may feel that nobody cares about us we have this community where we do care about each other's welfare. I hope you will find a sustainable treatment/solution as soon as possible mate.

Comment

Ryan: I can so relate to everything you say. Have you read The Dry Eye Remedy by Dr. Robert Latkany? It is excellent. He is based in New York and if you are near there, you may want to seek him out. If not, please do keep looking for an opthalmologist who is experienced with severe dry eye disease. They are hard to find.

Comment

Hi Ryan. I understand your frustration. For several years I tried all the things you listed, plus much more, and nothing worked. I too was totally disappointed at how most ophthalmologists prescribed the same standard treatments, when dry eye can be caused by so many different reasons. Ultimately you need to end up being your own advocate, get referrals on great doctors who have helped others, listen to observations made by the doctors, have them identify the root cause of your dry eyes (if they can), do research on different treatments and ask the doctors about them, keeping a log of what worked and what did not work for you including diet, etc.

I had very severe dry eyes to the point where I could not read, watch TV, drive, or work for several years (see my post under the Dry Eye Triumphs forum - "Lemon and Green Tea...". Ultimately I gathered from a few doctors that my meibomian glands were clogged because my oil was the consistency of Crisco, so I had my glands probed several times, and then discovered to keep them from getting clogged again and make my oils flow, I had to change my diet to include fresh lemon in green tea. For me, that was what my body needed, but I had to methodically make changes to my diet one thing at a time, and track how my eyes felt the next day, and the weeks after.

I tried Boston Scleral lenses initially and I could not tolerate them my eyes were so dry, but came back to them after I started getting better. Now I wear them at least 12 hours a day, and it helps me a lot with daily functioning and really soothes my eyes, I would not be able to nearly all that I do without them. And I had to research and ask my doctors about these scheral lenses myself, it was not recommended by ANY of them. These are nickel-sized dome-shaped contacts that have been increasingly successful in treating dry eye patients. Here's some info if you want to look into them:

http://www.bostonsight.org/PROSE-tre...y-Eye-Syndrome

Comment

Hi Ryan, I would suggest treating for demodex with Cliradex wipes. They may or may not be the cause, but everyone has them and certainly they are not helping the situation. This is no cure, but maybe try moisture chamber glasses as well.

When I got to this state of mind, I switched to trying to figure out the source of the problem myself which is now keeping me quite busy. I am convinced that the medical community simply does not know the answer. If you look at clinical trials on PubMed you will see that it is quite complicated and there is a lot of research happening.

I am also happy with the smallest improvement in my symptoms ... baby steps.
            Last edited by PG; 15-Jan-2017, 13:14.

Comment

Hi Ryan,
              I am sorry you are going through this. I have been looking for a cure for several years. My daughter (who is 15) and I (age 50) are in a similar position as you. We have tried many things and have spent a lot of money over the last several years, but have not found a cure. It's been especially hard on my daughter who wants to feel good about herself.

When things get really bad, we use a low dose steroid eye drop (fluoromethalone, .1%?), not the strong kind which can be irritating (FML forte which doctors seem to love these days). For just a short period of time, of course, since they can cause other issues. Steroid drops can pull us out of a nosedive. But our conditions are chronic. We are going to try plasma rich protein eye drops next. I will post on the website after we have returned from our trip. Your light sensitivity makes me think that you might have corneal abrasions. Have the doctors ruled those out? I had those in the beginning too.

Ultimately, you have to do as Hokucat suggests and continue your search. There are other treatments out there, but it's not easy. I think I would have given up a long time ago, but I continue searching for my daughter.

Comment

Try flaxseed oil I heard that helps with watery eyes but you need to be patient and use it for atleast 3 months and get the liquid version not capsules drink 2 tablespoons a day I recommend spectrum essentials flaxseed oil its very high quality and doesnt taste bad like other cheap flaxseed oils

Comment

Ryan, I get it too. I've suffered since I was on 18. I'm waiting for another few weeks just to see what else an opthamologist can do. I've tried alot of treatments too nothing seems to bring complete relief, I'm scared of the future I can barely cope day by day to the point suicide seems like an option. But I am going to wait it out and see what the opthamologist can do for me as I haven't tried antibiotics cyclosporin or scelera lens... can't afford the more expensive treatments. I don't know how to cope with this for years, I'm just taking it slowly in hopes something will relief me completely. I'm suppose to go to uni and get a job own my own place see my sister get married... none of my family members understands my issues. It seems the inflammation is so difficult to control. Sorry this is a meh message I mean there must be something that can help you right?

Comment

hi.
                    do you used tea tree oil?

Comment

Hi Ryan, I'm so sorry to hear that you are feeling that way. I also hear your pain. I live in the UK (Cardiff Wales) and they are supposed to have some of the top eye hospitals here but unfortunately although they are all great, they too have not found a solution to my dry eye issues and so it continues. It can just feel like a constant battle without getting anywhere, but as someone quite rightly pointed out, this should be treated with more urgency as unless you have the condition, I don't really think people truly understand what you go through on a day to day basis. Its hard, but hold in there as I'm sure that something will happen and there will be a cure for you and all of us one day x

Comment

P.s I will have to try coconut as that's a new one on me! Do you just apply a small amount around the eye lid?

Comment

ive done so much "out there" treatment for my eyes, and improved a lot (around 55% over the last 2 years) but not found the 100% fix i dream about. ( i also found out i had Lyme disease so a lot of antibiotics (borella) and antivirals (EBV) played a big part in my treatment, which happened to of effect my eyes positively , and i also LDI for inflammation which is helping too) i think the future is very positive for us, (though waiting feels like a sentience, i know) think of the stem cells they are using to repair vision, this is actually a thing and has actually worked and is in its early stages, its only a matter of time before it starts being tried for other ocular issues. it may seem like light years away before this treatment is there for us, but once it gets FDA approval it will become a common very quickly.

I know it seems like there isn't a lot of funding going into dry eye, but believe me there is more at the moment then ever in history. the dry eye market has rocketed in the last 10 years and now is effecting younger people (screen time, medications, stress ect) which only means one thing. recurring profit if the right treatment can be found for one lucky laboratories loyal customers! and is worth an insane amount of money, there are several trails going on right now, not just for medication but also for tear simulating devices ect.
                          I recommend going onto twitter, and following some of the company's and ophthalmologist that have an interest in dry eye, there is almost something new posted more often then you would think, regarding ideas and possible treatments for the future. i often read things encouraging on there and think, "i should link them on this forum to give those who dont use twitter help" but i dont always do it anymore as i dont often get much response on here (i think as many are guests on here so read and run) for instance there was a link between dry eye and depression on there just recently and a lady who has found certain makeup ingredients create dry eye, it gives a feeling of things happening even in there are no easy solutions yet. im on there too, https://twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend
                          People have recovered, so can we.
                          www.twitter.com/EyeGirlfriend)

Comment

Working...
                          X