X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back and nassty

Hello,
    Just wanted to re-introduce myself, I am Bruce, 45, from Scotland.

I was on this forum a lot between 2006 and 2010 or so. I had dry eye, caused by lacrimal problems, in left eye only. Although it started in 2005, I think it was at it's peak between 2007 and 2009. However, problem tapered away betwen 2010 and 2013. I still had mild dryness symptoms, but it was almost normal between 2013 and 2017.

Now over the last few weeks it has been coming back, with these last few days quite nasty.

So, it has been good that my problem is clearly not permanent, but bad that here it is again, hopefully for a short time.

In the past I had a smart plug fitted but mostly tried drops, sprays, and warm compresses. These all had mild effects.

I thought I needed glasses recently, and had an eye exam, with an Optometrist I had seen back in 2007 for dry eye. He read in my notes about my old dry eye troubles - back in 2007 he said it was a mostly ignored condition and there were few treatments. This time he took particular interest in my left eye. That morning, I did have a dryish eye, and he did put some dye in and identified the condition. I said I had had little discomfort with it recently and he agreed that it doesn't bother some people. He then seemed to use a tool or something in my lower eyelid, I guess he was clearing out the glands, there. He then said they can do a lot more for dry eye these days.

So, that's my story. Eye is very nasty today, gritty, rough, stinginy. I'm going in to see the Optometrist tomorrow to see what new stuff they have. What is new in Dry Eye care since 2010?

Regards,
    Bruce.
    Occupation - Optimistologist

Hi Bruce! Another fellow Scot, nice to know there is another. As for treatment improving? I can't say there has been. Although I've only had dry eyes/mgd/allergies for about 2 years. Steroids, ipl, lipiflow, scerlera lenses, punctual plus, the usual drops and gels, ikervis in the UK too. I can't think of much else that is new to treatment. I hope this may help you?

Comment

Hi Bruce. It seems I'm not the only returnee. Sorry you're also still struggling. Longer than me too - because I was last here when my problems really started to get bad around 3 or 4 years ago.

Have you seen an opthalmologist yet? Maybe ask your optometrist or GP for a referral if things don't get better. I'm currently on doxycycline. Using it for the anti-inflammatory properties rather than as an antibiotic. It hasn't made the pain or burning go away - but since I've been on it, I've stopped getting infections (I went through a period of almost constant cysts and styes for a few months).

I've also just been prescribed FML steroid drops for a few weeks (to be tapered off). But I'm a bit nervous about taking them so I haven't started yet.

I still seem stuck on the first line of treatment (eyebag and/or compresses, srubs, drops, etc)...perhaps because I see a different person each time (eye hospital) so can't really know what might help you - just that I've heard of the things epicjinx mentions above. After several years, a doctor has finally suggested I might benefit from one or several of these: lipiflow, ipl, punctual plugs, and/or sclerals. I might be able to get sclerals on the NHS because of complex vision as well as dry eye. I think you might have to pay privately otherwise (in the UK) but worth checking (and Scotland might be different because I'm in England).

Comment

Working...
      X