Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7+ years of Dry Eye Treatment, Limited Results -- Looking for New Ideas!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7+ years of Dry Eye Treatment, Limited Results -- Looking for New Ideas!

Hello,

I have managed--with very limited success--my severe dry eye for the past 7 years, using the following:
    DROPS: Restasis, Systane preservative-free tears, olopatadine drops such as Elestat and Pataday, and Lotemax
    OVERNIGHT OINTMENT: Refresh PM, Lotemax (alternate between 2 every night)
    ORAL: doxycycline (i, fish oil
    OTHER: punctal plugs in all 4 ducts, humidifiers (both personal desktop, and at my bedside at night), frozen peas compresses in the morning, Azasite (applying it to eye lids each night before bed, one week out of every month)

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
    Along with my dry eye, I have chronic sinus dryness and congestion. I believe they are linked.

In addition to all the treatments/actions above, I did undergo a program of acupuncture and Chinese herbs (which I drank) to treat both my dry eye and my sinus problems. I did not see improvement and after about 8 weeks, the acupuncturist felt he could not help me, so I stopped.

In addition to all the treatments/actions above, I did undergo a program of acupuncture and Chinese herbs (which I drank). I did not see improvement and after about 8 weeks, the acupuncturist felt he could not help me, so I stopped.
    In addition to my dry eye, I have sinus dryness and congestion.

I have been tested for Sjogren's Syndrome and other autoimmune disorders with which my symptoms are associated. These tests have come back negative and levels, such as ANA, are in the normal range.

I had Lasik surgery (several years ago), a couple of years after I was diagnosed with dry eye but after my doctor determined that my eyes were in good enough shape to undergo the procedure. I'm unable to tell if my eyes are dryer as a result, since I was wearing contact lenses a lot prior to the surgery, which exacerbated the symptoms. My hunch is that it is a "wash"-- Lasik has made my eyes more dry, which has cancelled out the benefits of not wearing contacts.

I look forward to joining the discussion group and talking to others with similar conditions.

I appreciated reading your story. My dry eyes became unbearable 2 years after PRK. I traded glasses for goggles, which also cancelled out the benefits of not having to wear glasses for two years. Thank you for speaking. I've tried most of what you have already done, with the same results. Currently, I am using hormone eye drops and like you, am quadra plugged. Probing is on the list, but I'd rather try less invasive measure first. I've been painfully dry for 4 years this coming May, and while my eyes are have improved, they are still not good. Best wishes to you.

Comment

Hi LaDiva,

Can you please give me more information on the hormone eye drops you mentioned? Many thanks Lizzy

Comment

Hi Lizzy,
        I got the prescription from my eye doctor, and it was filled at a compounding pharmacy. .05% progesterone, and .05% testosterone. It helps, but hasn't "cured" the mgd.

Comment

Ok, what is the name of the product please, i just wondered if they were available in the UK. Thankyou

Comment

It is a prescription med. All it says on the label is what I've given above. It came from a compounding pharmacy, so it is only made as requested by the compounding pharmacy. (Per bottle.) There is no brand name.

Comment

Working...
            X