Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why you decided to perform refractive surgery ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why you decided to perform refractive surgery ?

Hi ,

May you please share , why you decided to go for refractive surgery ? i want to know what were your potentials? did you read about the risks and side effects before taking the decision ?

thanks ,
    Ibrahim

My optometrist talked me into it.
    I couldn't see well with glasses and contacts were giving me trouble. I did not expect to be glasses-free afterwards - I just wanted to be able to wear glasses with a low prescription.
    I discussed the risks in detail with the surgeon.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I was tired of being extremely nearsighted (-7.5 and -9 lenses). I had little children and wanted to be able to see them at the swimming pool. I had a general idea of risks and signed a waiver that listed them in detail.

My refractive surgery was a success. I had slight dry eye that resolved in a matter of weeks and enjoyed perfect vision for several years. I now have dry eye on only one side due to postsurgical facial paralysis.

Comment

i was talked into it also by my optometrist. Whats even worse is that my eyes were only -2 and i could see fine with contacts or glasses. Biggest regret of my life as i now battle dry eye and even worse corneal neuralgia every day. If it wasnt for my Dr. Gemoules scleral lenses i dont think i would have even survived till now. Biggest regret of my life and since there is no cure i have a life sentence now with this condition. Thank you Rebecca and everyone on this site as you have provided a lifeline of info and lift my spirits because of this website. I wish all Happy Holidays and happy healing and hope that some day i can post in the success stories section

Comment

My eye doctor suggested it and told me I was an ideal candidate. (I had dry eyes before the surgery, soI don't know why he would say that.) I didn't want to wear glasses, and yes I read all of the stuff about everything that could happen afterwards. I was driven by 1- hating glasses and 2- being an ideal candidate for this surgery. Yes, Happy Holidays!

Comment

Thanks a lot for replying, the aim of my question is to re-convince myself not to go for Lasik, I really hate glasses. my friends , coworkers & girl friend are recommending it ... they told me that I will be the only person in the world who wear a thick glasses (-7 both eyes) .... They don`t believe that there are a lot of ppl who suffer from Lasik & refractive surgeries complications , thanks again for your replies… your potentials are the same like mine.

@saralynn143, it is very cruel ...why they asked you to sign a waiver ?! ... if the surgery is secure.. Why doctors ask patient to sign waiver... for god sake..Why there is no safe cure for near & far sight issues!!!
            Last edited by Ibrahim; 19-Dec-2013, 04:34.

Comment

Ibrahim, I'm also very nearsighted and would love to get rid of it. But I've been trying to be patient. New procedures have been tested, moreover new drugs have been developing, so it's just a matter of time when dry eye after refractive surgery will be treatable much better than now (and other potential issues).

Comment

Kylix , thanks a lot for your reply and advice .... i will try to be more patient ..... and i think i should accept that i am very nearsighted , it is my fate and god will

Comment

Ibrahim

Please stay with your own eyes if you do not surgery for a true medical reasons do not do it. No surgery is good surgery. Your eyes will never be the same again.

Comment

elaw65 , thanks for your advice ...."No surgery is a good surgery" ..... i like this statement

Comment

I hated wearing my glasses for more than 35 years. I am into sports and my glasses always seem to get in the way. I lost my glasses while I was standup paddleboarding in the ocean. That was the last straw! Away with the glasses for good! I chose to have LASIK with the same surgeon as my wife who had it successfully 6 years earlier. She sees 20/15 out of both eyes. No problems at all. Her tear film is awesome.

I never wanted to do it as I thought I could be that 1% ... when I lost my glasses in the ocean I thought it was a sign from God... to get over your fears of the surgery.

And I did. I put my fears aside, signed the waiver and went for it! Many of my friends and co-workers all had it done. Sometimes it seemed as if I was the only one in the room with glasses on?

The following day after my surgery, I practically threw up because my eyes were so bad. I knew right then something was terrible wrong ... I was in pain every day... every friggin day for 22 straight months - that is INSANE. It actually drove me crazy. And I tried to kill myself it was so bad - for real.

If you want to esentially risk your life, because that is really what you are doing .. it's like gambling ... it may sound unrealistic ... but trust the people on this sight. DON'T DO IT. You are making a terrible mistake. That is the truth.

Also... now when I am in a room (wearing moisture chamber glasses every waking second) it seems as if everyone has glasses. And people look good in glasses. They are fashionable.

You have thick glasses ... learn to love them. Just learn to love yourself in them. Be thankful you are not in pain, don't have dry eye. Take this advice from all the poor folks who ended up being that 1%.

Lastly - the guy who invented LASIK wears GLASSES. Ever wonder why?

Best of luck... and remember.... DON'T DO It!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
                        Thanks a lot for replying, the aim of my question is to re-convince myself not to go for Lasik, I really hate glasses. my friends , coworkers & girl friend are recommending it ... they told me that I will be the only person in the world who wear a thick glasses (-7 both eyes) .... They don`t believe that there are a lot of ppl who suffer from Lasik & refractive surgeries complications , thanks again for your replies… your potentials are the same like mine.

@saralynn143, it is very cruel ...why they asked you to sign a waiver ?! ... if the surgery is secure.. Why doctors ask patient to sign waiver... for god sake..Why there is no safe cure for near & far sight issues!!!
                        Firstly, if you do LASIK and end up with dry eye, your girlfriend is gonna leave you because she's gonna get tired of babysitting you..
                        Secondly, if you get dry eye, you'll be the only person wearing moisture chambers(and they are way bigger than regular glasses)...
                        Thirdly, you might end up quitting your job because of the discomfort and pains and there would no longer be any friend/coworker to tell you you're the only person wearing thick glasses in the world.. In general, your life is gonna be wrecked!! I didn't get dry eye from LASIK and i know what i'm going through.. I've learnt that the dry eye that comes from LASIK is worse.. You'll wake up with your eyelids stuck to your eyeballs..you can imagine how terrible that is... I belive alot of dry eye sufferers would gladly exchange dry eyes for regular prescription glasses..

Comment

Originally posted by Martins88 View Post
                          if you get dry eye, you'll be the only person wearing moisture chambers(and they are way bigger than regular glasses)...
                          Yup - I can definitely vouch for this - the moisture chambers stick out waaaaay more than regular glasses would (even if the lenses are thick like yours)

Thirdly, you might end up quitting your job because of the discomfort and pains and there would no longer be any friend/coworker to tell you you're the only person wearing thick glasses in the world..
                          Yup - I can vouch for this too - although I didn't have to quit, I did end up going through a period of time where I couldn't have worked at all, then when I improved a bit, I was only able to tolerate 4 hr. shifts at most, and never 2 days in a row since my eyes needed time to recover from work

In general, your life is gonna be wrecked!!
                          Yes, do be aware that life as you know it could be totally trashed. Everything that you now do without a second thought can become something terribly difficult, or even impossible.

You'll wake up with your eyelids stuck to your eyeballs..you can imagine how terrible that is...
                          Yup, going on 9 years now and my eyeballs are still stuck to my eyeballs every night. I literally do not dare open them until they are very well lubricated, otherwise I'll rip off a layer and suffer for a few days.

I belive alot of dry eye sufferers would gladly exchange dry eyes for regular prescription glasses..
                          You can definitely include me in that category. Having LASIK was the worst decision I've ever made in my life. Sure, life goes on, and I've adjusted to my new circumstances - but no way was LASIK worth it for me.

Comment

Thanks Martins88 & SAAG for your reply, I am praying for all of you to get better soon........ Every time I think to go for Lasik ... I just open this forum and read your replies ... then I thank god that I found honest people like you ... thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by Ibrahim View Post
                              Thanks Martins88 & SAAG for your reply, I am praying for all of you to get better soon........ Every time I think to go for Lasik ... I just open this forum and read your replies ... then I thank god that I found honest people like you ... thanks a lot
                              Thanks Ibrahim... maybe your prayers will do us some good!

Comment

Working...
                              X