This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog with severe dry eyes

My dog is 12 years old and has had severe dry eyes for 6 years.

I am debating if I should take her out of her misery.

She still eats sleeps of course but am I being selfish keeping her around?

I put eye wash, then neo-poly-dex (steroids) tacrolimus (coconut oil compound) then an over the counter eye gel for dry eyes 3 TIMES DAILY

Nothing really helps as she still is dry after but it's all worse without the medicine routine.

Any kind of feedback would be appreciated.

I have an appointment set up with her opthalmologist next week. I'd like to try restasis. .

This is a huge decision for me. I need advice ..

Mona

Hi Mona

If you are in USA, good to ask doctor if lid cleanser with PURE Hypochlorous Acid, like Avenova, would help.
    Many/more American doctors recommend it. There are similiar products for animals too.
    Many reports/videos on such interesting topic. What I know is it is safe/effective.

Last edited by MGD1701; 10-Nov-2017, 10:23.

Comment

I saw an article once with a donkey who suffered a corneal injury who was helped with autologous serum eye drops and bandage contact lenses. Some do find autologous serum can help for dry eye too, they are eye drops made from your own blood with regenerative and anti-inflammatory properties.

https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.u...o-happy-vision

Stem cell therapy while still too early in research for use on humans is starting to become available for animals via some vet ophthalmologist, an article someone linked on Facebook from Animal Eye Care in Australia:

Evidence from studies has shown that stem cell therapy in dogs can improve conditions of dry eye. Stem cell treatment for refractory dry eye is a simple, safe and effective treatment and is now available at Animal Eye Care.

Dry eye in dogs is usually an immune-mediated disease which can be treated with immunomodulatory drugs such as Tacrolimus or Cyclosporin eye drops. In some cases there is no response to medications and other therapies such as stem cell treatment may be recommended. Stem cells are prepared from canine fat cells and have been used extensively for many years in the treatment of osteoarthritis. More specifically we use adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells that are prepared from fat collected from donor dogs. These cells are pluripotent meaning that they have the potential to differentiate into other types of cells including bone and cartilage cells. It has also been suggested that they may differentiate into lacrimal (tear gland) cells.

The procedure is completed under short intravenous anaesthesia where the stem cells are injected around the lacrimal (tear) gland and the nictitans gland (this sits behind the third eyelid and contributes 40-60% of the tear film). The cells are well tolerated and do not cause irritation or reaction.

Ari has recently undergone stem cell treatment at Animal Eye Care.
      Ari's tear readings have improved since treatment and we will continue to monitor his tear readings frequently.
      Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

What breed is she, Mona? What did the Veterinary Ophthalmologist say?
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hello. A salivary gland transplantation can save your dogs eyes. If the salivary glands of your dog works of course.

Comment

https://www.cuteness.com/article/nat...-eye-condition

I really want to try cod liver oil in dog twice daily. Dogs opthalmologist said to do coconut oil directly...

Comment

Working...
            X