Just dry eyes or Sjorgren's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just dry eyes or Sjorgren's?

Hi All I'm new here and have been treated by an ophthalmologist for severely dry eyes and moderate blepharitis. I was initially referred to a ophthalmologist for removal of an irritating chelazion and then it was apparent I had this severe dryness problem with my eyes and also some corneal abrasions.

I've been back and forth for many months trying all sorts of prescribed drops and potions without any relief. I was prescribed on one occasion a four week course of Prednisol (steroid drops) which helped and at present I find Systane purchased OTC the best but not ideal. I also use special wipes for blepharitis purchased from Boots for my eyelid hygiene.

Three month ago I had a Schirmer Test performed which showed I produced NO tears at all and therefore had punctual plugs inserted into my lower tear ducts with a probability that I am to have them inserted into the upper lids at my next visit next month and then arrangements are to be made to have them permanently cauterised. The insertion of the lower plugs haven't made the slightest difference to tear production! I am at my wit's end as I can't even open my eyes in the morning without first applying drops.

My main reason for concern is that I indeed have undiagnosed Sjorgren's disease rather than simple dry eyes as I have other symptoms too but this is being overlooked (no pun intended lol). I am only 48 and have had both hips replaced in the last 2 years for advanced osteoarthritis and also have osteoarthritis to my lumber and cervical spine and I'm concerned that I have some undiagnosed rheumatology problem causing my dry eyes. Incidentally my father has the rheumatology condition scleroderma which affects his extremities and Reynaud's phenomenon.

Anyone have any idea how I can broach the possibility of a rheumatology cause for my problems or indeed am I just scaremongering? What evidence might I need to provide as proof to my ophthalmologist at my next visit that I think my symptoms have an inflammatory cause?

My apologies for so many questions but I see my consultant next month and I want to have things clear in my mind before I go to my appointment.

Thank you ever so much

If he is worth his salt he will send you to a rhumy regardless to eliminate Sjogren's as a possibility. My blood work for Sjogren's was normal as it often is but the biopsy said different so you may have to go that route for a positive yay or nay. Sjogren's is often associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Make a list of everything that you want to say so that you don't forget any points and know that your concerns are valid.

Have you gone the diet route to address the arthritis because chances are a lot of your problems are related to diet...gluten, lactose etc. There is a good post on here recently by Sazy regarding diet changes and the positive changes in her condition following a detox program and change of diet program. Something to consider as part of an overall program.

FYI because of the Sjogren's I have had lower plugs which in of themselves didn't help but when the uppers were done, bingo it helped. I now have cauterized uppers and plugs in the lowers but I didn't cauterize until I was sure it was going to help. I started off with 6 week dissolvable plugs and because I couldn't tolerate the permanent plugs I opted for cautery.

Do you wear moisture chamber glasses? I have Wiley-X with the original foam gasket and they are indispensable, I highly recommend you get a pair.

Remember, this is a process but keep at it, be your own advocate and remember you will improve....cheers....F/G

Comment

Working...
    X