Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here! Dry, RED eyes :(

Hi everyone,

Well, I've been lurking this site for a while now and I thought I'd finally join as all of my friends/family are tired of hearing about my eye issues and they just don't get it.

This all began in November of 2012, when I noticed my eyes would become slightly irritated and red after a long day or if I wore my contacts too long. I just attributed it to my contacts and honestly didn't think much of it at the beginning. When it started to get worse at the beginning of 2013, I began drowning my eyes in Visine all day and all night, while continuing to still wear my contacts. This went on until April when I finally saw a doctor, gave up my contacts, and quit Visine cold turkey. My doctor at the time told me that I had become allergic to my contact solution and prescribed me Lotemax to get rid of the infection she told me I had. At the time, my eyes didn't feel dry, it was just the redness that bothered me.

However, both my eye comfort and eye redness have only gone downhill since. I think it may have even been the Lotemax that caused my eyes to develop more eye veins. I've seen four different eye doctors since then and have since been diagnosed with severely dry eyes and MGD (as well as perhaps Ocular Rosacea).

This situation has truly been one of the hardest things I've dealt with and I feel so superficial/vain for saying it, but I can't help it. I used to LOVE my eyes and they used to be my best feature - I used to constantly get compliments on them. I never thought the day would come that I would be hiding them and trying to avoid making eye contact. Hate to say it, but I used to love looking in the mirror - I just don't look anymore if I don't have to. And of course, this all began just around the time that I graduated college and started my first, real job, so needless to say I've been struggling with my self-esteem on all levels. My eyes have made me seek help from a therapist because my boyfriend and friends thought I must have major mental issues that I was letting a vanity issue effect my life this much. And please don't think my eyes are just a tiny red. They get BRIGHT red and veiny, especially under the florescent lights at work.

Anyways, enough about that. Here is a list of the things I've tried/are doing:

*Lotemax (have taken twice, I think it actually made my eyes worse. The newest doctor I saw just recently prescribed it to me for a third time and I tried it again but my eyes couldn't handle it. My eyes really can't handle anything with any preservative at all in their current condition).
    *FML (worked, but the redness came right back afterwards. This was early on in all of this).
    *Month course of Doxy (noticed no improvement).
    *Restasis (have currently been on it for 6 months now. It's maybe improved my eyes by 10%. Luckily I don't experience any of the uncomfortable side effects others have reported)
    *Accupuncture/Cupping/Chinese Herbs (did not do anything for my eyes. The herbs actually threw my system out of whack)
    *Parasite Cleanse (My eyes actually showed signs of improvement in terms of redness while on this. Perhaps I have Demodex??)
    *Liver Cleanse (I try to do these once every three weeks. I do notice some improvement for a few days afterwards).
    *Hot Compresses (I did these religiously for a few months for 5 minutes twice a day. They seemed to be helping my eyes and my eyes would actually be white for a bit after using them, but then it seemed they started to make my eyes worse. I stopped doing them and I think my eyes are better off without them, which is making me think I might have Ocular Rosacea).
    *Fresh Kote drops (these unfortunately stung my eyes and turned them more red)
    *NAC eye drops (these stung SO badly and turned my eyes even more red. The only drops I can really use are Refresh Optive Advance Preservative Free vials).
    *Allergy diet (I had bloodwork done and actually have significant food sensitives. It has been two months now that I have eliminated all of my "trigger foods". I've basically eliminated all caffeine, sugar, yeast, eggs, dairy and a few other high histamine foods. I'd say this has also helped about 10%)
    *I'm currently also on a detox right now, but still have two more weeks to go

I'm also currently working with a Naturopath and am probably overdosing on all of the supplements I'm taking, so if anyone is interested about that just let me know. And I am seeing a new Opthomologist next week for IPL, so I will keep everyone updated on that also.

That's enough about me. I'm really just looking for support and to have people to talk to who understand what this awful condition does to you.

You sound EXACTLY like me - dry eye came on suddenly, used to use visine, tried everything you have (pretty much). I used to be a make-up artist, make-up was my passion. Then one day is was at work and I looked in the mirror and my eyes were beat red. I didn't think much of it, thought it would just go away. It's been three years and it has never been the same. I used to think I was beautiful (maybe to much) lol now I hide. I avoid going out late because I'm afraid of the redness. You are not alone, I'm only 25. I was diagnosed with ocular rosacea, mgd, dry eye ect.

You are not alone. Message me anytime! Just at the naturopath office. Lol

Comment

Hey girls!

We should have a group just for the girls hehehe

Chels welcome I hope you find here all the support you need and of course really good information.
      About the look of your eyes, don't worry. Today my manager was talking to me and I was looking to his eyes (I still tend to do it!! I hate doing though) and thinking that they look really red and he doesn't have dry eyes. So we are not alone!!!! I know is not easy, but will get better

I really don't care about the way my eyes look, I just care about the way they feel. Their health is my major concern

Have a nice day!!

Comment

Add me to the list of those who will say "your story sounds just like mine". I too used to work in cosmetics (never used the makeup at work - I'm a huge germ-a-phobe and OCD about cleanliness), and have always gotten compliments on my eyes (back in HS was voted "prettiest eyes" out of 600). I was often asked if I wore colored contacts (never did) since my eyes were so "pretty and blue". I woke up one morning around 9 years ago and my eyes were red. I ended up having to quit wearing contacts and have tried everything it seems to "fix" them. Sigh.... I'm still struggling to find a "cure". Know that you are definitely not alone!

Comment

Ditto! I am from Jersey so I was heavy into black eyeliner

Comment

Chelsea, when you ask people if they think your eyes are red do they agree, or do they think it's not as bad as u think?!

Comment

Hi girls!

So nice to hear from you all. It is comforting to know I'm not alone, yet at the same time I would never wish this upon anyone and am so sorry you are all also going through this.

Faith - "I used to think I was beautiful (maybe to much) lol now I hide." That's pretty much me also. If this awful condition has done anything good for me, it definitely has taught me to be less vain and to not give looks too much importance. Of course, I'd still pretty much give anything to have my eyes be white again and to feel beautiful again, but in a weird way, I think going through this has actually made me a better person in that regard. I just turned 23.. it sounds like my redness has come along just at the same time yours did.

Rfreitas - Thanks so much for your kind words. I too am obsessed with looking at other people's eyes. I wish I could not care about how my eyes looked. That would probably alleviate so much of my stress/anxiety over this, but I can't help it.

Alison - I also have blue eyes and would always get questioned if I was wearing colored contacts. I can't wear my contacts anymore either - not that I'd want to! I'm terrified to ever wear contacts again. Were you diagnosed with MGD, ocular rosacea, etc?

Katewest - What part of Jersey are you from? Both my parents grew up there!

I just ordered Claridex Lid Wipes - I saw on some former posts that some of you guys have tried them. Are they still helping? Is there anything at all that has helped any of you, even if just a tiny bit? Also, have any of you had IPL or Lipiflow done?

I know that we willlllllll find our cure one day and we can't give up! Thanks again for everyone being so welcoming

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                Chelsea, when you ask people if they think your eyes are red do they agree, or do they think it's not as bad as u think?!
                They tell me they're not as bad I think, but I don't believe them and I think they're lying. Plus my eyes are really the worst when I'm at work under the florescent lighting and working on a computer, and I haven't asked anybody about it there because I'm too embarrassed and just try to not think about it or else I will get depressed and become unmotivated with what I'm working on. I work in the fashion industry and it can be quite a superficial environment.

What about you? Do others tell you it's not that bad?

Comment

My boyfriend and family think I am crazy , and red eye veins are normal. They never used to be there though so it's frustrating to me! I am a perfectionist though so even slight redness bothers me. I also have pain though when my lids get inflamed. The mgd is my biggest issue, I think I produce enough tears now from restasis. I work in a salon which is also superficial so I know how you feel I'd do pretty much anything at this point. Trying to heal inside with help from a naturopath. Got tested for candida yesterday.. Will have results in a month!

Comment

Working...
                  X