What do you use at bedtime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you use at bedtime?

Hi Everybody. I am looking for some suggestions of things to put in my eye's at night other than eye ointment. I've heard from various sources that Vaseline is drying for your lips, so I assume the same would be true for the eye's, however, when I stop using ointment and use other products such as Oasis tears plus or Sus-tane overnight gel, they get even dryer. I need to figure a way to wean off of eye ointment and get my dry eye's moving in the right direction. Thanks Debbie.

Hi Debbie,

I was using lacrilube when I first got dry eyes however I stopped it. I personally felt it made my eyes stickier in the morning and dryer. However it was really hard to know. The dryness could have been there anyway and I just blamed the lacrilube. Lacrilube is like vaseline in terms of its consistency and is specially made for the eyes. Don't consider putting regular vaseline in your eyes. You could make them worse.

When you wake up are you eye lids stuck to your cornea?

Kevin

Comment

Hi Dab,
      I am using vidisic gel at bedtime. I am also thinking to wean off night oilment but worried that my eyes will get too dry the next day and cause RCE. Am wondering whether the use of Transquail goggles will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by khmedia View Post
        Hi Debbie,

I was using lacrilube when I first got dry eyes however I stopped it. I personally felt it made my eyes stickier in the morning and dryer. However it was really hard to know. The dryness could have been there anyway and I just blamed the lacrilube. Lacrilube is like vaseline in terms of its consistency and is specially made for the eyes. Don't consider putting regular vaseline in your eyes. You could make them worse.

When you wake up are you eye lids stuck to your cornea?

Kevin
        Hi Kevin. Mt eyelids are not stuck in the morning, but they feel like they have gunk in them and the ointment never disappears? I do not use Vaseline in my eyes. I just mentioned this because of the similarities. I think the ointment may make the eyeball to repel the tears keeping it from ever healing properly. Hair dressers often use Vaseline around the hairline to prevent hair color and perm solution from dripping onto the face and absorbing onto the skin.

What are you using at night to keep your eyes moist, since you are not using lacrilube anymore?

When you stopped the lacrilube, what happened?

Thanks, Debbie.

Comment

Using physical barrier protection of some kind at night can often change your lubricant needs... you may be able to more easily 'downgrade' to something less viscous than the usual petrolatum/mineral oil type ointments. By barrier I mean anything from tape or plastic wrap to Tranquileyes type goggles.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
            Using physical barrier protection of some kind at night can often change your lubricant needs... you may be able to more easily 'downgrade' to something less viscous than the usual petrolatum/mineral oil type ointments. By barrier I mean anything from tape or plastic wrap to Tranquileyes type goggles.
            Good suggestions Rebecca. I've been searching for a tape recently in the local stores but with no luck so far. I'm keen to explore that at night. Or better still the Tranquileye type goggles.

Debbie, at the moment I'm doing a hot compress and then off to bed. I have systane drops under my pillow and when I wake I have to apply them to a closed eye - letting the drops seep in. However the frequency is a lot. I wake on average 3-4 times maybe more and I apply the drops each time.

This isn't ideal. I think the solutions which Rebecca mentions could be more effective.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X