Fisher's introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fisher's introduction

Hello everyone. This is my first ever post here so I'll try not to write too much, since I have so many things to say and so many questions to ask. First of all, I can't thank you all enough for all the information you people share here. Also it helps a lot to see other people going through the same and fighting to find a solution or at least a way to improve our lives.

I suffer from blepharitis since a year and a half. I know it's not that long, and many people here have been having this problem for years and years...My eye doctor wasn't very clear on this, but apparently I had staphylococal bacteria, but after reading about this disease I wonder if I might have demodex as well. Anyway, after weeks and weeks of "treatment" (warm compresses, swipes, omega-3 supplements, hydrating eye drops) and seeing little to no results, I googled about it and found, to my dismay, that it's widely considered a chronic condition. Or maybe the definitive cure hasn't been found yet? I also suffer from sebhorreic dermatitis and rosacea, and apparently it's all related.

I use orto-keratology contact lenses, which are a special kind which you use only during the night and temporarily correct your myopia for the day after, sometimes even a couple of days. After a few years using them, I started having crusty eyelids on mornings, itching, tearing, etc. One symptom I also hae that not many people are mentioning is sometimes my eyes produce some kind of white mucus, usually when they're specially itchy and with a foreign body sensation. The vision correction is very hit or miss now, with somedays it being acceptable and others not working at all. My eye doctor considers I can keep using the contacts and just to to keep using the warm compresses, eye drops and swipes, but after more than a year seeing no real improvement except for maybe two or three days once in a while and then back to itching and all the rest, I decided I needed to do more research by myself. (By the way, my doctor thinks my case isn't bad enough to use antibiotics, so I've never tried this approach).

Reading about blepharits on the wikipedia article, I came across a paragraph mentioning hypochlorous acid which sounded promising. After a google search, I couldn't find pharmacy products containing it, here in Spain where I live. Finally I found Natrasan, and I immediately ordered it from Amazon. I've been using it for a couple of days. I have the hope that it might as well help with my sebhorreic dermatitis, since it's apparently related to fungus living in our skin as well.

On amazon you can read incredibly positive comments about Natrasan, with people claiming inmediate results the day after and such. I cannot say that much, but maybe two days is just not enough time to judge? I've been applying it specifically on my eyelids with cotton discs, and then spraying it more or less five times: on my forehead, cheeks chin and ears, the basic spots where my sebhorreic dermatitis is. I would be lying if I said I've seen a dramatic improvement, but this what I've seen: my eyes have definitely been less itchy, but the dryness and crustiness is still there in the morning, and like an hour ago I experienced a small amount of the white mucus again. I also notice a bit of discomfort on my skin after I spray Natrasan. But I must say my skin is extremely sensitive and reactive, and even water irritates it a bit. My skin condition at this moment is more or less at an intermediate level: not too bad, not exactly well.

Apparently Hypochlorous acid kills bacteria in a very short time, so I wonder if results shoud be immediate? Like, half an hour after using it? Then again, I guess mites and other bacteria and germs are constantly reproducing themselves, so it's not that easy to break their harmful cycle? I also wonder if maybe, if we keep using a product for long enough, we can erradicate the whole infecting population after every "generation" has been killed? I've actually come across two people on the internet claiming to have cured it for good. I don't want to make this post any longer and maybe talk about too many things at once, so I'll talk about them in a future message. I hope to keep on reading your comments and opinions, and Ill kepp you posted on how it's going for me.

It might be helpful Fisher to repost this under it's own separate title.

Comment

Hi Fisher

With respect to your 'morning' discomfort, I suspect
      1) your lids might be closed but NOT sealed
      2) demodex

Pure HOCL contains salt which makes skin dry - maybe not to spray to face/skin too many times a day.

Comment

Farmgirl, I'm really sorry, I realize my post was too long and I rambled a lot. I wanted to introduce myselfy first, but my main point was to talk about Natrasan since a few other users here are trying it too, so I thought this thread could be the most appropiate. I'll try to be more careful in future posts.

MGD1701, thank you for your comments. Do you mean like maybe I'm not completely closing my lids? Is there some way to confirm it? What should I do if that's the case?
        Regarding demodex I wouldn't be surprised if I had that as well. But apparently HOCL kills that too?

Yes, I'm suspecting the salty water excipient in Natrasan might be irritating for the skin. So today it's the third day using it, and to be honest I don't know what to think. It seems like the eye discomfort has been reduced, but I keep getting the odd moment where my eyes, all of a sudden, feel extremely itchy. Apart from that I don't think Natrasan is really helping with my sebhorreic dermatitis. I'll keep going for a while to see how it goes.
        How is it going for the rest of you using it?

Comment

Hi Fisher and welcome! Just wanted to let you know I moved this series of posts to its own thread so it will be easier to spot
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you Rebecca Petris !

Comment

Working...
            X