Hello all, new to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all, new to the forum

Hi everyone, wanted to introduce myself as I'll be posting a bit in the coming weeks. I have just found this site today while looking for information on a treatment my doctor has been considering over my last few visits.

I'm from western Canada, currently battling the latest flare up with dry eye. It's been by far the worst fight with the eyes I've had since being diagnosed with the dry eye condition just over 2 years ago. Around that time I was visiting my family doctor about discomfort with my eyelids, which turned out to be a severe case of blepharitis that required a referral to an opthomologist to treat.

Strangely enough, during the course of 2 seperate appointments dry eye was never discussed. I was only diagnosed with it a couple months later during a normal visit to my optometrist. I had mentioned a scratchy feeling I had felt a few mornings previous to the appointment, and from that it was discovered that my eyes were not closing during the night, causing discomfort during the day (abrasions due to the pillow). It was recommended that I use artificial tears... but at the time I found them very difficult to get in the eye (I was a blinker, hehe) so during the next check-up I was told not to bother with them unless the eyes cause me grief.

Fast forward to around the beginning of September when I had a sharp pain in both my eyes that my artificial tears were not providing relief from. Visiting a new optometrist (I had moved since the last check-up) it was found that both of the eyes were suffering from, in their words, "tissue degradation" that was in a dangerous location.

Since then I've tried a variety of treatments starting at solid usage of artificial tears throughout the day, then tear gel, taping the eyes shut at night, and lacrilube. The current regiment that I've been on for over 2 weeks now is hot compress in the morning, lid scrubs, lacrilube 4 times throughout the day (more if needed), and lacrilube at night. I found taping the eyes shut at night did not work since they would water to the point that the medical tape came loose well before I could fall asleep.

I have discussed the possibility of plugs, but since they are drying out from not being closed at night it wasn't felt that they would do much benefit. An option that was mentioned my last couple of visits was eyelid surgery, which they explained as the eyelids being partially sewn shut. I would very much like to avoid this if at all possible.

I was reading about the tranquileyes goggles on the site and I could almost feel the relief in my eyes. It's been a difficult past 2 weeks with my regiment, as I'm an illustrator and my vision has to be at it's absolute best to be able to do what I need to every day. I've been unable to work due to the lacrilube blurring the vision, and if I attempt to use teargel as a substitute I'm not able to work longer than 5 minutes before severe eye pain hits. I'm ready to try anything at this point, the eye problems are affecting my capability to fulfil my responsibilities. I've already had to pull out of one project I had almost completed, so I'm about ready to say yank these eyes out and give me some new ones. Atleast they'd work for a while Tomorrow I will be heading up to the optometrist to see if they have any of the goggles available, or atleast a similiar product.

I apologize for the length of the post, I tend to be long winded in my messages. Thanks for taking the time to read it all if you did

edit: Forgot to mention flaxseed is also in the current regiment.
    Last edited by Trey; 26-Oct-2006, 17:21.

I'm ready to try anything at this point, the eye problems are affecting my capability to fulfil my responsibilities. I've already had to pull out of one project I had almost completed, so I'm about ready to say yank these eyes out and give me some new ones. Atleast they'd work for a while Tomorrow I will be heading up to the optometrist to see if they have any of the goggles available, or atleast a similiar product.
    Hi Trey, only have a minute right now, but the above statement is just what drives all of us crazy. We want help and we want it NOW. Usually, this is a process of time and trouble, trials and failures, one step forward two steps back etc. You are at the right place, lots of support, information and after you've been acclimated, I suggest you try the drops available on DEZ, Dwelle, Dakrina and NutraTear. Prepare to hunker down.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
    X