Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello! MGD in remission 6 months thanks to Tacrolimus!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! MGD in remission 6 months thanks to Tacrolimus!

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster. 31/female. This could go in Triumphs for sure but since I'm new I'm posting it here to give you a bit of background. I'll try to keep it short.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a Doctor and I do not advise anyone to take a drug without Doctor approval and supervision. I am discussing topical Tacrolimus here NOT systemic Tacrolimus.

I have MGD. So far as I know, I don't have Aqueous Deficiency. I don't recall my Schirmer's (done without anesthesia) but remember being told it was "great". My oil was consistently thick and white and needed a lot of pressure to expel. I always had several bumps (like little pimples) at the gland line - blocked glands I suppose? I also had signs of anterior blepharitis - very occasional itching of the lash line, once (and only once) crusting. My lashes had been thinning and grew in every direction but straight.

My symptoms began about 7 or 8 years ago. To give you a picture of my life at that point: I was anorexic and had not had a period in at least two years, I drank most days, smoked pot almost constantly and used other drugs fairly often. When I did eat, it was junk food - often sugary treats. I also never took my eye makeup off preferring to get a good smoky eye by sleeping in it.

My eyes began to burn like I was cutting onions all the time. I became very photophobic. A good sleep helped but the pain returned by afternoon. It was unbearable - extremely painful. The air in the car was a huge trigger as was any kind of shopping center, but even staying in the house I would be in agony by 1 or 2pm. I could not tolerate makeup anywhere near my eyes. I cycled through various unhelpful Doctors before realizing what I had was Dry Eyes. I almost never felt dryness, just pain. My eyelids and lid margins were red but I had barely registered that, just pain. I began washing my eyes with Theralid cleanser - I believe this is called Sterilid in the USA - and it helped a lot. But it was far from a cure. I tried hot compresses which made things worse, I had long noticed that heat of any kind made the pain unbearable. I felt good in the shower and for about a 30 minutes after, but boy, did I pay the price after that. I tried Restasis (which I gave up on after 6 weeks because I could not tolerate the redness and constant burning), Doxy (which made my skin beautiful but did not help my eyes), Pataday (no help), testosterone cream, every OTC drop on the market, etc. I went on Tobradex for a month which was a total nightmare, drying out my eyes and causing rebound redness for months despite tapering down my dosage before quitting. I also tried many supplements, Omega 3, flaxseed, NAC, etc. but with little relief. I was spiraling into a deep depression.

I had gotten healthier and healthier over the years, my periods had returned, I didn't drink or do drug often anymore, had quit makeup years ago, and practiced lid hygiene religiously, but my symptoms remained. I decided to try a strict anti-inflammatory diet - no sugar, no alcohol, minimal wheat and minimal Omega 6. This helped somewhat - more than anything before it. I stuck with it for 18 months, but I was frustrated. I still could only sit through a single Uni lecture before needing to come home and wash my eyes or rest them. Forget going out in the evening, forget wearing makeup, forget sitting near a fan, or a long car ride. I'll spare you the deep depression talk but just say this. I had experienced pain every day of my life for nearly a decade - pain that kept me from doing the things I loved and living my life fully. I could only work a few hours from home before the excruciating stinging came on. I slept 11 or 12 hours a night, simply because I could not escape the pain any other way.

I finally found a knowledgeable Doctor, but at that point I had been researching the disease for years. I was working in the scientific research field at the time and poured over every study relating to this disease, then every study relating to eye disease in general. I became especially interested in Dr. Christophe Baudoin's work regarding the inflammatory cycle. I reasoned that perhaps I, due to an unhealthy past lifestyle, had simply become trapped in a cycle of inflammation and infection - a cycle so powerful I could not heal without help. I began researching various inflammatory eye diseases (not just MGD or dry eye), and the topical version of the drug Tacrolimus came up often. It stood out to me because I had that drug. I had developed a rash on my face after a reaction to a lip balm a year earlier and had been prescribed that drug to get rid of it. After that it just sat in my medicine cabinet.

So I researched it and found it had been used successfully in a variety of eye diseases, mostly atopic in nature, but some not. I researched the cancer risk that deemed it a 'Black Box' drug and found that they came from an early animal study and that more recent human studies had not corroborated that risk. I found it to have a safer profile than steroids in many ways. I will try to attach some of these studies in a later post, although I highly recommend you do the research yourself, and not trust a stranger on the internet.

Most of the ophthalmic research done on this drug have compounded it into an eyedrop, but some use it as an ointment on the lids. I think there may be some benefit to using an ointment and don't know why the medical community is fixated on drops. The eye surface of a DE patient is extremely sensitive for one thing, increasing the risk of reaction or sensitivities. As well, for MGD patients, much of the inflammation is located in the eyelid and glands, which are easily reached via ointment. Ointment on the lids is also less likely to be washed away by reflex tears or applied incorrectly.

The commercial name is Protopic and it comes in .1 and .003 strength - I use the latter. It is officially recommended for the short term - but I am using it off-label, off course. There is no indication it is unsafe in the long-term, unlike steroids which we know are extremely detrimental in the long-term. My Doctor knows I am using this and does not find it risky.

Tacrolimus is an immune suppressant like Cyclosporin, so attention to hygiene must be maintained.

Firstly, it is much more potent than Cyclosporin. Some studies have posited that it is as much as 100 times more potent. The benefit here may be this: for people who find the burning of Restasis unbearable, Protopic may match the potency by being applied only once, at nighttime when sleep negates this transient sensation.

Secondly, although it works in a very similar way to Cyclosporin, it operates on a slightly different pathway - this is too difficult to explain here, but suffice it to say this is not simply a stronger version of Restasis.

It does burn when first used - a hot sort of feeling, not a stinging burn. This passes after a few days of usage. I wipe the tiniest amount along my upper and lower lash line. I was cautious to get it in my eyes at first and it does feel uncomfortable in the eyes, but it is not severe. I soon transitioned to using it only at night when the discomfort was not a problem. I wash my eyes in the morning to alleviate any lingering discomfort from the drug.

I used it twice a day for two weeks, then tapered down to once a day.

AND IT WORKED!

I cannot believe I am typing this right now, but it worked. Not helped, or improved, but I have NO pain anymore. I would say cured, but I will stick to calling it a remission for now. I had pretty much given up on a normal life. I was suicidal. But within two weeks of using this drug, my glands opened up and began producing clear, healthy oil. My inflammation has reduced every day. I live a normal life. I stay up late, I work on the computer, I walk in the wind, I drink (sometimes), I smoke pot (once in a while!), I eat sugar (I try not to, but I do), my eyelashes have grown back.

Darn, this is sooo long even though I tried to keep it short! Forgive my mistakes or poor explanations. I'm out now! Any questions feel free to ask BUT do not turn this into a fear-mongering session on the risks of this drug - all drugs we take have risks and Tacrolimus has an excellent safety profile when examined closely. Do NOT mention systemic Tacrolimus in this thread - I have seen this happen in another thread about this drug. No one would EVER recommend systemic Tacrolimus for DE. I know this won't work for everyone. Nothing seems too, and although there are a couple small studies showing that Tacrolimus can help AD, I have also seen people on this forum say it didn't help them at all. But, it's a drug that has actually saved my life, and has gotten relatively little attention here, so I felt I must post.

Penny
    Last edited by pennyparade; 27-Aug-2014, 22:07.

Oh geez, I wrote a novel.

Comment

Hi Penny,

I loved your "novel". Thank you for writing with such detail... But I'm sorry about what you went through that brought you here.

I agree with so many things you've written. For instance, I too don't understand the fixation with eyedrops applied to sick eye surfaces and would *much* prefer something to absorb through the lids. I've dug out my Protopic .1% (I have every skin topical because I have so many skin problems -- rosacea, seb derm, eczema, etc.). I'm going to try Protopic on my lids starting now. I tried Metrocream .75%, betamethasone .1% and PreForte 1% drops ON my lids without any noticable effect, but I'll let you know about Protopic. Fingers crossed for me!

Regarding inflammation, Donald Korb believes that it is a sequelae (consequence) of dry eye, not a cause (watch his video here http://dryeyephiladelphia.com/portfo...d-dysfunction/). Korb's forte is MGD. So I'm wondering if his idea corresponds with Christophe Baudoin's research and/or your own conclusions? I haven't been able to decide what I think or even if it matters... I mean if you feel better by treating the inflammation (whether cause or consequence), isn't that a good thing? Anyway, just wondering your thoughts.

Thanks again for sharing your story and congratulations on your recovery.
      All the best,
      Sheila
      Last edited by spmcc; 28-Aug-2014, 15:57. Reason: Added more info regarding topicals I've tried on my lids to reduce inflammation

Comment

Penny, thank you for sharing your experiences and I'm so glad you found something that helped you so much. This is what we all dream of, isn't it- that elusive 'magic bullet'! I'd never heard of tacrolimus ointment before.

Like spmcc, I am much more keen on the idea of something that could be applied onto the eyelids rather than directly in the eye. Sheila, I wish you all the best of luck with trying this - I'm sure you will keep us posted on your progress! X

Comment

Hi spmcc!

Thank you! I wish you luck in this trial.

In a oversimplified nutshell, we know that dryness causes inflammation and that inflammation causes dryness. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, or rather a neverending story.

Donald Korb is firmly on the inflammation as a symptom side. Indeed all research on dry eye seems to hinge on this idea. Even scientists heavily immersed in studying the inflammatory process of the eye, like Dr. Baudoin, do not suggest (as far as I know) a reversal of this concept - that is, that inflammation may begin a cycle of dry eye.

This has been a missing puzzle piece for me. Why can inflammation not be the chicken, so to speak? Or to ask a slightly different question, is it not possible that meibomian or lacrimal gland dysfunction is a transient symptom with multifaceted causes, and inflammation its chronic response?

On this site and others, I have seen many people who claim their dry eye began after an injury or infection. These run the gamut from an actual trauma to the cornea or conjunctiva (ie: a piece of rock flies up while cutting the lawn), a bout with the common pink-eye, brief or prolonged computer/video game strain, etc. Why do these events seem to sometimes trigger a longer cycle of dry eye, even after the initial injury or infection should have healed?

As well, reversing many of the risk factors of DE (poor hygiene, Vit A deficiency, amenorrhea, poor blinking habits) do not reverse the disease. Why is that?

Steroids and Cyclosporin have helped a lot of patients by calming the immune response and reducing inflammation. Many on this site say only steroids make them feel better. If poor tear or oil production is at the root of this disease, why would anyone produce healthy tears on steroids or Cyclosporin?

It was these questions, as well as my own personal observations in my eyes, that led me to consider inflammation as it's own disease.

Steroids can only be used for a very short term due to the risk of increased IOP. To me, this makes it a useless treatment. We know there is a critical involvement of macrophages in the DE patient. These are a form of white blood cells that trigger inflammation and encourage the immune response. They are not the only inflammatory cell involved in DE, but let's look at their life span: it can be as long as 9 months. We know inflammation and dryness invites a host of other problems like bacterial overgrowth and increased demodex mite populations. We know over time, the mucin layer becomes affected and takes time to heal. So steroids cannot be used for the proper amount of time it would take to stop the all these inflammatory processes within the eye and allow it to fully heal.

As well, steroids are frequently preserved with BAK and carry significant risk of rebound symptoms. In fact, there is a syndrome gaining attention in the excema community (I'm sure you've heard of it), Red Skin Syndrome. Dismissive name, like Dry Eye - but also an debilitating condition for many whom develop prolonged rebound symptoms after using topical steroids on and off for years. What they thought was a progression of excema may have only been rebound symptoms, which they treated with more steroids and a vicious cycle emerges. I have wondered about the implications of this syndrome for the many DE sufferers who rely on steroids.

Cyclosporin can be used in the long term, but many find the side effects intolerable - at a 2 to 4 times a day dosage, encouraged to give it 6 - 9 months to work, it is abandoned frequently.

So my theory in trying Tacrolimus was this:
          I need something potent to calm the inflammation in my eyes. It must be comfortable to use. It must be safe to use for at least a year to ensure the inflammatory cycle has been halted.

It's just a theory. I have had many over the years!

Penny
          Last edited by pennyparade; 30-Aug-2014, 09:17.

Comment

Thank you unicorn!

It's strange, I had tried so many things and often believed that they would work and suffered great disappointment when they didn't. When I tried this I had basically given up on a "magic bullet" - it has been truly shocking to find something that has alleviated my symptoms. I wish that for all DE patients.

Comment

Thanks for sharing all this with us pennyparade. So happy to hear that it has helped you after you had tried so many other things that didn't. Forgive me if I missed this, but you've been applying it now for 3 or 4 weeks? Or longer? And I assume Protopic has to be prescribed? Approximate cost? Please keep us posted (spmcc: eager to hear back from you too!)

Comment

Hi MGD666!

I've been using it 6 months actually, but I began to see major improvements after the first two weeks. It's prescription only. Here in Canada I paid $100 for a tube that will last me a year.

Penny

Comment

Ugh! Today I'm not applying Protopic to my lids because I seem to have gotten some in my right eye yesterday. Altho it's nothing worse than the usual annoyance that occurs for what-seems-like no reason, I wind up using Lotemax (steroid) for a few days to help settle (which defeats the purpose of using Protopic). Additionally, I find that just cleaning my lids of Protopic makes them red and puffy (rosacea skin strikes again). I'll have to find a way to be more gentle and more careful when I start back up again.
                  Last edited by spmcc; 30-Aug-2014, 15:57. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

Can either of you make any comparison to, or contrast the effects of this Protopic vs. Azasite (azithromycin)? This assumes you have tried both...

Comment

Where was this prescribed to you? I see a doctor in ottawa ontario and wanna ask in October when I go. I suffer from MGD too. I've been on restasis almost a year and use FML quite frequently to help with flares.

Comment

spmcc,

I wonder if I understated the discomfort of this drug - when I was applying it in the daytime, my eyes bothered me all day, it's just that this was not any worse to my typical pain! Now I use it only at night, and my eyes feel uncomfortable if I wake up in the night at all. I get it in my eyes regularly, there is nothing dangerous about it - unless you are sensitive to one of it's base ingredients (which is possible).

I remember in the beginning finding it very difficult to distinguish the discomfort from Protopic from the pain of DE.

I don't have Rosacea though, so this is a difference between us.

Penny
                        Last edited by pennyparade; 30-Aug-2014, 20:03.

Comment

MGD6666, I have not tried Azasite, it's not readily available here.

Comment

Faith1989,

Your GP or ophthalmologist can prescribe it. I will try to post a few studies showing its effectiveness on other inflammatory eye diseases as well as some studies on it's safety profile in the next week or so. I know Rebecca had posted one study of Tacrolimus therapy on DE a while back.

It's easy to research using the keywords 'ophthalmic' and 'tacrolimus' - it is also sometimes referred to as FK 506. You might want to take to take some references to your Doctors to help convince them. Of course, they may find this is not the right time for you to try this, since you are on Restasis. How are you finding that treatment?

Penny

Comment

Penny, I believe you said you used the 0.03% version and I think, spmcc, you said you had the 0.1% ointment. Just wondering if this might be why you're finding it too much to handle?

Comment

Working...
                              X