Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to DES - What is wrong with me???

Hi,
    I'm from Melbourne, Australia, and got DES three months ago. I am an otherwise fit and healthy 27 year-old guy with good vision, and have never had eye surgery. I really really want to find out what is wrong with me, and how to get better, as this condition has profoundly altered my life. Please let me know if you have any ideas or if my condition sounds familiar to you. My opthamologist doesn't know what to do with me, he says he's never seen anyone like me.

Opening my eyes long enough to do normal activities causes a painful stinging, particularly in the left eye. They are dry, not watery. There appears to be inflammation around the eyelid rims. My opthamologist put me on steroid eye drops for a month, but it didn't help. I've started doing eyelid scrubs as well as hot compresses 4 times a day, and quite often I notice a small, white, sticky blob on the compress afterwards - could this be from MGD? I discovered a few days ago that goggles help heaps, and have ordered some Panoptx. Spraying water onto my face, eyes closed, also seems to help a lot, for 5 - 10 mins. I've tried just about every eyedrop at the chemist's, but hate them all! Temporary collagen plugs don't seem to do anything either (lower punctum only).

Please let me know if you can tell me what is wrong with me, and please please would somebody tell me that this is curable! I can't imagine what it must be like to go through this for years on end.

Sam,

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk! It's no fun to join the dry eye club but I'm glad you found the site.

Unfortunately nobody can diagnose you over the internet but maybe we can suggest some specific questions to ask your doctors or some steps that can't hurt and might help.

Anything to report - or any information you can get - on actual test scores like Schirmer or TBUT by chance? Or at any rate could you ask for these tests next time you go?

If the lid margins look poorly chances are lid margins are at least part of the problem... Has your doctor said anything about blepharitis or MGD?

I'd be a little cautious with the scrubs and the compresses - it is possible to overdo this stuff and irritate things even more, especially if you're using something astringent or using a lot of heat. You might talk to your doctor about a course of an oral antibiotic like doxycycline to see if it helps.

Can I suggest a few links for some initial reading...

Dry Eye FAQ

Dry Eye for Dummies

Dry eye treatments
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X