Prokera amniotic membrane for dry eyes and other eye conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prokera amniotic membrane for dry eyes and other eye conditions

I had the Prokera membrane placed yesterday on my right eye. It is a ring with an amniotic membrane, placed under the eyelid like a large contact lens. The membrane also contains a prophylactic antibiotic that is absorbed with the other nutrients contained in the membrane. I have dry eye, Pterygium, drusens, glaucoma, you name it! My eyes are often so red, causing people to make comments and feeling alarmed for me. So this treatment sounded a like a dream come true, for comfort and cosmetic reasons. The insertion was pain free, however it was really uncomfortable later in the day. I was using normal saline eye drops quite often. I had eye makeup on when the membrane was placed and the doctor didn't seem to think this would be a problem. Yet, I felt like some of the makeup got under the membrane, and even with tons of eye drops, I couldn't remove what looked like mascara residue. I am a small person, 103 pounds and 5'. My eyes are quite small, and they used the "slim" model. I probably could have used a child's size, if available. At any rate, I felt much more comfortable today, just blurry vision in that eye, not the same discomfort under the upper lid felt yesterday. It will be removed Thursday, and I will try to update if my eyes are more comfortable, and less red. Hoping for good results, and have scheduled procedure for the left eye in a couple of weeks... Promise not to wear mascara for the next visit!

Hi Rhonda, hope all goes well with you're trial of Prokera and please keep us posted of your progress. I don't know how you've managed to wear mascara with such uncomfortable eyes, I had to stop 5 years ago when my ocular rosacea first became a problem. Didn't the eye makeup draw closer attention to your already red eyes and make them even more painful?

Comment

Hi, there.

May I ask if the Prokera was covered by your insurance, and if not, what the cost was? I had one in my eye for corneal erosion about 8 years ago. At the time, it was not covered by insurance, and the cost was very high.

Comment

hopefully the outcome was good

Originally posted by Rhonda View Post
        I had the Prokera membrane placed yesterday on my right eye. It is a ring with an amniotic membrane, placed under the eyelid like a large contact lens. The membrane also contains a prophylactic antibiotic that is absorbed with the other nutrients contained in the membrane. I have dry eye, Pterygium, drusens, glaucoma, you name it! My eyes are often so red, causing people to make comments and feeling alarmed for me. So this treatment sounded a like a dream come true, for comfort and cosmetic reasons. The insertion was pain free, however it was really uncomfortable later in the day. I was using normal saline eye drops quite often. I had eye makeup on when the membrane was placed and the doctor didn't seem to think this would be a problem. Yet, I felt like some of the makeup got under the membrane, and even with tons of eye drops, I couldn't remove what looked like mascara residue. I am a small person, 103 pounds and 5'. My eyes are quite small, and they used the "slim" model. I probably could have used a child's size, if available. At any rate, I felt much more comfortable today, just blurry vision in that eye, not the same discomfort under the upper lid felt yesterday. It will be removed Thursday, and I will try to update if my eyes are more comfortable, and less red. Hoping for good results, and have scheduled procedure for the left eye in a couple of weeks... Promise not to wear mascara for the next visit!
        I hope all went well. Any news?

Comment

Hi.. sorry to take so long to respond. Having trouble using this site. Hope this works.
          Medicare covered my Prokera. However, not sure if I had a good result. My eye may actually feel worse. My doc says it may just be that the Prokera healed the area and now I have increased sensation. Not sure I agree. To be fair, I didn't leave the membrane in place till it was absorbed. I felt too irritated. It may have been the ring was too large and I had make up under the membrane. Not sure if I will try the left eye. May try the Taurine, Vit E, and the L-Argenine. Also, may STOP the Restasis. My biggest concern is cosmetic, the red eyes. The dry eyes are not too bothersome for me personally. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X