No announcement yet.

8 Years with Dry Eyes. Feeling better.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Years with Dry Eyes. Feeling better.

Hi Everyone,
    At 22 I was diagnosed with Dry Eye Syndrome. Like most 22 year olds I felt pretty much invincible and I could not know just how much of a wake up call this diagnosis would be. I never had a problem with my eyes before 22, and I think the primary reason I started to have problems was because I was working behind a computer 40 hours a week for the first time in my life. I tried Restasis and stuck with it for a good year but I saw no results. Years later I found several websites suggesting fish oil can help. Again I saw no results initially, but the bottles said to wait 4-6 weeks for them to take effect. I stuck with the fish oil and I am so glad that I did! After about a month my eyes were greatly improved and my eye pain went from 7 out of 10 down to just 1 out of 10.

Over time fish oil itself was not enough to keep my eye pain at bay. I tried using eye drops but my eyes reacted negatively and I felt even more pain. I tried doxycycline, warm compresses, and lid scrubs all of which were ineffective. Those with dry eyes can feel lost and uncertain of what to do. At that time I sure felt that way.

Eventually I found an ophthalmologist who convinced me to try the eye drops again. It made me feel worse, but like the fish oil before I stuck with it until eventually my eyes accepted the drops. This was the most difficult part; trying treatments and seeing no initial result. Remember good things come to those who are patient! With use of eye drops and fish oil I find now that my eyes are improving even while working a 40 hours a week behind a computer. My current eye pain is about 2 out of 10. Those with dry eyes need to listen to their eyes. That pain is telling you something. Don't ignore the problem like I did at 22. Set a plan in motion and be patient. You will get though this and become a stronger person in the process .

My current regimen:
    1. Fish oil pills in the morning (4 or 5 pills). I use Theratears Nutrition. Try many brands; see what works best for you.
    2. Eye drops a few times a day. I'm using Systane Balance and Systane Ultra, like before try many brands. Don't wait until you feel pain to use them, prevention of pain is the key with these.
    3. Gentle eyelid wash using warm water in the morning. I find this is useful when using eye drops because deposits can build up on your eyelashes. Baby shampoo and scrubbing of lids are too harsh for me.
    4. Avoidance of things that cause pain. Car vents, ceiling fans, computers, contacts etc.
Working...
X